Menu

I _thought_ I came across a reference to this on the boards, and in my imaginings it is written to the same audience as the OUP World in Ancient times series, but can't find it anywhere now ... and my Google searches are yielding nada ... if anyone either knows of it & can point me there, or is able to disprove its existence, I'd be very grateful! 

Edited by serendipitous journey

Could you be thinking of Hakim's The Story of Science? I feel like that was republished by Oxford?  Or the teacher and student supplements are published by Oxford?

It's the history of physical science. So it's physics and chem but no life science. She said that the history of life science needed its own books and she was going to write them...but that was a long time ago.

• Like 1

Yep, I've posted about it. It's definitely approachable for the same level as the other OUP Ancient Times, etc. ones. Slightly smaller font but content level and reading level is on par. We really like it! They focus on a few representative cultures in each era. If you do the Look Inside feature and look at the back cover, you'll see them listed:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0195218205/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We really like it!

• Like 1

Could you be thinking of Hakim's The Story of Science? I feel like that was republished by Oxford?  Or the teacher and student supplements are published by Oxford?

It's the history of physical science. So it's physics and chem but no life science. She said that the history of life science needed its own books and she was going to write them...but that was a long time ago.

No, that's not it -- but thank you for pointing out this option!  I do think Oxford is publishing her books, both Story of Science & History of US. 

Yep, I've posted about it. It's definitely approachable for the same level as the other OUP Ancient Times, etc. ones. Slightly smaller font but content level and reading level is on par. We really like it! They focus on a few representative cultures in each era. If you do the Look Inside feature and look at the back cover, you'll see them listed:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0195218205/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We really like it!

yes, Yes, YES!!!! this is it!!!!  "Technology in World History."  Thank you so, so much!  Now I just need to budget for it ... we'll probably end up incorporating it a book at a time. 

oh, thank you!

ETA: FWIW, the one-book-at-a-time method looks a lot trickier for this than it is for the World in Ancient Times series.  Harder to find individual volumes. 

I am loving this. Do you think I can do this as our history program along with Bookshark 6 history of the world?

Based on what I've seen of the OUP World in Ancient Times series, yes -- deerforest may be able to answer this more thoroughly. 

It is hard to find the titles of the individual volumes, but I think that you'd need to cover between 3 and 4 of them to match up with the Bookshark 6 history.  It's hard to find individual tltles -- ooh, while working on this I found a jstor article listing them: whoo-hoo!  here they are:

volume 1: Prehistoric and Ancient (you can use Look Inside on Amazon for this)

volume 2: Early Empires (essentially Ancient)

volume 3: Medieval

volume 4: Traditional Cultures (the article says there's not much on the "North American and Inuit" peoples)

volume 5: The Industrial Age

volume 6: The Modern World

volume 7: glossary, cumulative index, references for further research

If you want the child to retain the information (and do not have a child who naturally just remembers what she reads over a period of a few months) I'd suggest framing the readings a bit.  Go over them yourself first, introduce her to the main concepts and set the stage a bit, discuss it after she reads, and then before the next reading review what the most recent one was. 

You could also have your child write summaries and/or do outlines, but I myself would not add written output to a year of work already planned unless I took something else away. 

• Like 1

We used them concurrently with our history cycles (which we started in 5th), but we are huge science and history fans here. I've used volumes 1-4 so far over 2 years. The first year was tougher because we are also using the Hakim Story of Science, and there was a lot more to cover in that series for Ancients too. I've done them as assigned readings and as read-alouds, depending on my whim. We just have some great discussions in context of the other history bits we're studying. I've never required output for them so I can't offer any advice there.

But, this year when we do Renaissance and Early Modern, we will only have vol. 5,and there are fewer OUP books for this era. We do have the 2nd Hakim book for this year and a lot of other materials. But, I hate that I'm running out of OUP! 

I develop my own history program so I'm not familiar with Bookshark's offerings, but I also add a lot of other readings, documentaries, lectures to these base books so I imagine you'll be able to add this to Bookshark pretty easily.

If you're interested in the history of math, we also loved String, Straightedge and Shadow: The Story of Geometry during ancients.

• Like 1

If you're interested in the history of math, we also loved String, Straightedge and Shadow: The Story of Geometry during ancients.

Thank you for adding that rec!  Tiner has a nice history of science series -- he is a Christian writer, we are using his materials easily in our multi-faith family though -- and Asimov's "How Did We Find Out About ...?" is terrific, though OOP & it is sometimes heavy reading.  Lots of names and dates and I think I'd have to teach the DNA book explicitly, a chapter at a time.