Menu

If you have traveled the I-75/71 corridor to I-65 between Cinci & Louisville where would you suggest we spend the night?

FaithManor

Dh and I can't leave for Student Launch Initiative training until after his last meeting (sometime between 3 and 4 p.m.) on July 26th. We need to get half way so hopefully just south of Cincinnati. We've never stayed in this area, ever. I have an aunt and uncle in Elizabethtown, KY and any trip that has gone this route before has had a night at their house since it is about 8 to 8.5 hours from here. While we'd consider pushing that far, getting in very late, aunt is in bad shape right now physically, has a nurse living in the house in the guestroom we would normally use, and can't be disturbed. So we aren't going to push that far.

We see a lot of hotels on expedia at Florence, KY and a few at Carrollton. They seem rather high priced for a Tuesday night which is normally a low time. Most are north of $100.00 except for a few like a Days Inn, Rodeway, and Red Roof. However the reviews on these places make me nervous. Reports of mold in the rooms, dirty, potentially bugs, very noisy, non smoking rooms smelling like smoke - I am pretty sensitive so really don't want to start out at 3 p.m. the next day in an engineering meeting with a wicked headache and stuffed up.

Just wondering if any of you have recommendations.

We are trying to keep the price under $90.00 if we can due to conserving as much of the travel stipend that NASA provided for the SLI team because this challenge is so expensive, and it isn't going to be easy to raise all the funds needed.

The Cincinnati airport is on the Kentucky side of Cincinnati. I would name my own price on Priceline for the airport area. I have done that before and was very happy with the hotel we got. I think if you do 3 stars you should be fine.

Edited by lovinmyboys

I just looked in Covington, the cheapest room is $149 and that's a Hilton Honors special rate.

You may have better luck staying north of Cincinnati, close to Ikea (I can't remember the name of the suburb). It's about an hour between Cincinatti and Louisville. Louisville rooms may be cheaper but that might be state fair time causing room prices to be up. Simpsonville is on the other side of Louisville not quite all the way to E-town. It's probably further than you want to drive in one night but another option.

I don't know about the cities or towns, but I wanted to put in a vote for Quality Inns. I've stayed in many 5-star hotels for work and I still love Quality Inns: safe, good rooms/beds, and breakfast included in price.

Next are Hampton Inns, but as nice as they are, they're usually pricier than Quality Inns.

Alley

Thanks everyone.

Sigh....I just don't think we can stay on the north side even if it is cheaper because we'll be leaving Wednesday morning at rush hour. I am concerned about being heavily delayed.

I have never done priceline. I'll check that out.

• Like 1

Maybe try Ft. Mitchell/Crescent Springs/Buttermilk Pike area. It's not downtown and not airport--it's kind of in-between. The next exit north might have more options as well.

http://www.hotelscombined.com/Place/Fort_Mitchell_1.htm?mapState=expanded%3D1

If you don't mind driving a few minutes down local roads, you might find more options too.

Fort Mitchell is what I meant when I said Fort Wright up above.

Sigh....I just don't think we can stay on the north side even if it is cheaper because we'll be leaving Wednesday morning at rush hour. I am concerned about being heavily delayed.

Do NOT stay on the north side if you're leaving at rush hour.

Check hotels in...

Crescent Springs/Buttermilk Pike area

Erlanger, KY

Union, KY

Florence, KY

Crest View Hills, KY

Richwood, KY

Covington and Newport is right across the river from Cincinnati and will be horrible for rush hour traffic.  

Edited by 1GirlTwinBoys

Dh and I can't leave for Student Launch Initiative training until after his last meeting (sometime between 3 and 4 p.m.) on July 26th. We need to get half way so hopefully just south of Cincinnati. We've never stayed in this area, ever. I have an aunt and uncle in Elizabethtown, KY and any trip that has gone this route before has had a night at their house since it is about 8 to 8.5 hours from here. While we'd consider pushing that far, getting in very late, aunt is in bad shape right now physically, has a nurse living in the house in the guestroom we would normally use, and can't be disturbed. So we aren't going to push that far.

We see a lot of hotels on expedia at Florence, KY and a few at Carrollton. They seem rather high priced for a Tuesday night which is normally a low time. Most are north of $100.00 except for a few like a Days Inn, Rodeway, and Red Roof. However the reviews on these places make me nervous. Reports of mold in the rooms, dirty, potentially bugs, very noisy, non smoking rooms smelling like smoke - I am pretty sensitive so really don't want to start out at 3 p.m. the next day in an engineering meeting with a wicked headache and stuffed up.

Just wondering if any of you have recommendations.

We are trying to keep the price under $90.00 if we can due to conserving as much of the travel stipend that NASA provided for the SLI team because this challenge is so expensive, and it isn't going to be easy to raise all the funds needed.

I could ask dh if you could stay with us. We live at an exit off of I75N south of Cincy between there and Lexington. It takes us 50min to get from Cindy to our home. How many of there are you?