Menu

What is the best part of being a parent?

Katy

I think for me, one thing that really stands out is the ways that my daughter is different from me, and different from my expectations of her.  I expected a bookish, nerdy, sciencey (because that's a word) kid, just like me and her dad.  Instead, I got a free-spirited, creative artist.  Who knew?  What a lovely and unexpected gift!   :001_wub:

• Like 6

So many things, like babies and toddlers that I don't have to give back to anyone! Hugs, kisses, flower bunches picked from the yard for me, rainbows on Mother's Day cards they make for me. . .

But probably watching them learn new things. Seeing that lightbulb come on, whether that's an infant or a teenager.

• Like 4

Oh it's such a privilege to be a mom. I don't know if I can choose one thing. I'd have to say being able to look at them and see a little bit of myself. I don't mean that to sound vain. I just mean I'm awed that I could have had a hand in such an awesome process. I'm often humbled when I think about my kids.

• Like 5

Getting to see the people they are and who they are growing into. Hugs and kisses, and holding a sleeping baby as long as I want. Or he wants depending on how he's feeling. Seeing the same expression of concentration on DS's face as his dad had when we were just college kids studying together fifteen years ago. Seeing myself in DD. and knowing that I'm responsible for her stubbornness that drives me crazy :-). Being a parent is the most awesome, exhausting vocation I could imagine.

• Like 2

All of it. Seriously, every single moment.

I love love love watching him spread his wings, take chances, become more independent on his own timeline. I admire his self confidence, and I am grateful for all the lessons he teaches me just by being himself. He inspires me and makes me a better person.

I long for the supportive upbringing he is getting (what I different person I would have been!) and am truly grateful to be able to provide it.

• Like 1

Hugs, kisses, and snuggles. They're especially special if you get any one of those from a teenager. I know it's probably what I will miss most when they're all big.

ETA- and pudgy fingers and fat little kissable baby feet. Those don't last near long enough.

Edited by texasmom33

We are having a very rough math morning here, so this is a good thing to meditate on. As crazy as they make me when they bicker, I love how sweet and helpful they can be when they put their minds to it. And with the really little ones, I love how unfailingly good natured they are and constantly loving. It's cool to see the older kids come into their own and see how they respond as they learn and discover, too!

Whoa. I grew a real live person, then I didn't mess them up too badly after they popped out. (Yet.) And I actually like them all, even the one I didn't grow myself!

My kids are pretty fantastic people. That's the best part.

Today at breakfast, we had a long discussion about whether we're living in two dimensions simultaneously, but we can only access the second one imperfectly through our dreams. Then they started talking about funny farts.

• Like 1

Everything. I love being a parent. I am blessed with 5 children, and wouldn't hesitate to have a dozen if I wasn't so tired. The love, to the moon and back, to infinity and beyond. Just that special, indescribable bond between our kids and us. Just love everything about being a parent😀

• Like 1

Having cool discussions with your teens regarding such important topics as Pokemon, ISIS and combatting homeless-ness.   They come up with really interesting ideas and I am quite hopeful for the future.

You know, this is going to sound terrible, but I clicked on this thread with no idea how to answer because I honestly don't know lol.  Not that I don't like being a parent, but I don't find babies enticing (never have been a huge fan of babies, but for some reason they usually like me :lol: ) and I don't miss my kids being babies and toddlers.  I've always found the kids to be more fun with each passing year.  

So as I scrolled through the thread, none of the responses meant anything to me until this one.  And yeah, I'd have to agree with it.  Because Link is my oldest, and he isn't a teenager yet, but I've sat and talked with him before - always randomly, always unplanned - about really interesting things.  We've talked about cultures and racism and riots and religion... and I enjoy this part, this stage where they are thinking and learning about the world and understanding things around them in that context.  

I also enjoy the increasing freedom that they (and I) have with each passing year.  I have friends who loved the baby and little kid stages, and I'm not saying these things to negate their feelings at all - I just feel so differently.  While she looks at the coming years like, 'noooo!  What are we supposed to do with them now?!' (in the sense that time is passing too fast, and the 'best' years have passed, in a joking manner...) I find each new stage to be more fun than the last.  Not that they've always been 100% fun... each new stage has its own battles and struggles.  But she always jokes that she wanted babies lol, so she had babies.  Then they just kept getting older.   :D

I like watching them figure stuff out.  I like watching them become more independent.  I like that I don't have to worry about leaving kids in the car anymore, or about not having my eyes on them all the time; that they can stay home alone, swim in the pool without me in there with them, walk a few blocks without me needing to be concerned or worrying that others will be overzealous in their 'concern' (which has always, honestly, been more the issue for me than my own personal concern...).  I like that they are growing all the time in their individuality and capabilities.  

On one hand I kind of can't believe I have a kid who is the age I was when I was walking around amusement parks by myself, but that doesn't mean I have a problem with the fact or that I think it's something he can't do.  

I like that one is showing increasing care and interest in his future - we've never heavily pushed 'figuring it all out' because kids say all different things at all different times, and I never put stock in anything a kid says with regards to their future, whether they are 4 or 10 or 16... everything changes.  But it is still interesting to watch one start to really develop stronger desires to do something, and see him start noticing colleges and show preferences for one over another - not that they're saying they 'want to go there', but that they are just seeing the world a little bigger than what it used to be.

And it's an interesting phase that they go through, that this oldest of mine is starting to hit.  On one hand he's still a kid, and will be for several more years, and will get excited about things and talk about things that are silly and make no sense.  And then on the other hand I occasionally see a glimpse of the fact that he is the oldest, he is a preteen, he is occasionally tired of kid antics with the younger ones and wants to do something else.  And I just think the whole thing is fun.

I put this on FB the other day about two of mine:

Me: 'I get being annoyed.  Everyone gets annoyed and everyone has times that they are the one being annoying - let's face it, everyone is on both sides.  But just because your sister annoyed you this morning about something doesn't mean you can be rude to her now, hours later, because 'she is annoying'... there's a difference between acting annoying and it being a constant state of being.  I think we can agree here that she wasn't doing it at the time, correct?'

Link: 'True.... *sigh*... You're right.'

Being the parent of a preteen and a bossy 7 year old is a lot of this.  Except when it isn't.  Because the other day when the preteen slid on the gravel and skidded across the driveway on his bare skinned side, the 7 year old was in tears from worry and didn't completely stop until she was absolutely sure he was ok.  And when the preteen thought something was falling on the bossy 7 year old, even if he had just been annoyed with her, he was the one who yelled her name and took off to her first.  

Because siblings are fascinating.

And I'll admit that, not having siblings who I lived with, the sibling thing is fascinating to me.  The 'traditional family' unit thing is, too. And the experiences that they've had that have been different than what I had, some better, some worse, and the way that those things are all a part of their story, you know?  

And that seems to be the case in general with kids as they grow.  I like watching them learn to think critically and control their emotions (not to the robot state lol, but you know what I mean) and learn to not be reactive anymore when it comes to relationships.  It seems like every day there is something that they do that we discuss (just yesterday the discussion was that 'Astro just called me annoying!' Me: 'I need context.  What happened before that?'  Link: 'He was being annoying because he kept talking about something I didn't care about, so I started blocking him out and he called me annoying.' Me: 'Exactly what does 'blocking him out' mean?' Link: "LALALALALALALA'  Me: 'Yes, that is annoying.  And rude, don't you think?  While he was talking?'  Link: 'Well, I mean, yeah, I guess... but I wasn't interested.' Me: 'So... you know kids sometimes talk about things that other people aren't actually interested in, right?'  Link: 'Yes, of course... like when Pink talks a lot about Pokemon' (note that he also likes Pokemon lol, but Pink is at that age where if she loves something she talks it to death...)  Me: 'Good example.  Do you think I find all conversations about it interesting?' Link: 'No.... Ok, yeah, I see your point.  Better ways to do it.  Change the subject?  Or like you sometimes say, 'ok, we've talked about Pokemon for awhile!  Honestly I don't need to know anymore about the legendary Pokemon so why don't you tell me more about it another time...What did you learn in your swimming lesson today?' or something like that?'  Me: 'Yep.  LALALALALALA isn't generally the best way to handle these things.') and every day there are things that I look at and think, 'you know, these kids are pretty decent'.  Astro has always loved little kids and he and his almost 2 year old cousin are like, inseparable when they are together.  Here is a picture of them watching TV together this week - totes adorbs, and it is always like this.  And he has always loved little ones and been really good with them... walking behind little just-walking toddlers at church with his hands out to make sure they didn't fall down without someone to catch them, etc.  I just look forward to seeing what his future looks like (and the others, too, of course!)

Anyway, that ended up being really long lol.  Sorry about that.   :)  I went from having no answer to going on about my kids for like, forever.   :leaving: :lol:

Edited by PeacefulChaos
  • Like 1

I like being a part of there day. I love seeing them become there own person, with different interests, personalities, sense of humors, friends, opinions, etc. I enjoy how our relationships have changed (I have 3 teen boys) and how they still include me on what's going on in there lives.

I enjoy there company. :001_smile:

• Like 1

When they're little, it's the cuddles and all the love. They're just so happy!!

As teens now, it's watching who they are becoming. Right now they are so witty and funny. It's awesome to know I had any part of it.

• Like 1

I think for me, one thing that really stands out is the ways that my daughter is different from me, and different from my expectations of her.  I expected a bookish, nerdy, sciencey (because that's a word) kid, just like me and her dad.  Instead, I got a free-spirited, creative artist.  Who knew?  What a lovely and unexpected gift!   :001_wub:

I like this so much I am going to quote it.   :001_smile:

My daughter is 16 and she and I are best friends.  

The best thing about being a parent is watching my children becoming secure, happy, lovely adults.

• Like 2

I like this so much I am going to quote it. :001_smile:

My daughter is 16 and she and I are best friends.

The best thing about being a parent is watching my children becoming secure, happy, lovely adults.

Yes! I love having a teen! :)

• Like 1

All of it.  It's all been a great ride.  If I could have do-overs, I wouldn't change a thing, but I'd be even more grateful.  Even for the toddler fits and the pre-teen break-downs and the bittersweet of knowing he's a good young man and he'll be okay without me.

It's been the best years of my life and the greatest thing I've ever done.  Every minute of it.

Edited by Audrey
  • Like 2

I've embraced every stage of his life knowing that with an only, this is my one chance to appreciate it. He's almost 19. What I adore most is that he is a confident young man who knows who he is. I'd like to think parenting had a hand in that, I know homeschooling did. 

He still comes to me for advice, probably because I listened to those late night "here's my next great idea" sessions long after my bedtime many a night. And to echo Audrey, yes, I know he'll be okay without me. 

• Like 1

I love being a mom.  It really is the best thing I've done.  Trying to think of one part that is a favorite is difficult, but I guess it would be watching them become responsible, caring compassionate adults, and being able to honestly say they are my best friends.  My older dd and I just took a trip together; it was so much fun.  The payoffs for the diapers, long nights, tantrums are so worth it.

• Like 1