Menu

Do you say "cr*p" or Holy cr*p? (CC)

sheryl

I'm just curious. 

I know there are members here who use that phrase and I'm NOT pointing the finger.  I genuinely enjoy talking with you!!!

My brother uses this phrase all.of.the.time.

I just don't like it and we don't use it.  

When I first heard it though, I thought it meant "junk" but it can't mean that.  It means sh!t, right?  

Just.let.me.vent.   I won't be offended if you tongue/cheek your reply but I truly would like some insight on this.  Thanks!

I say "crap." It's not the nicest word but I wouldn't get offended if someone said "oh poop" when something went wrong, and to me it's really no difference. I don't say "holy crap" because of the "holy" part; it's a word I associate with God and I don't like to use it lightly.

• Like 6

I use cr*p, but not Holy before it. It's not even considered mildly offensive in my corner of the country.

ETA: I don't tend to use any crass words in public or with a new acquaintance, but everyone tends to use the word crap on occasion.

Edited by Outdoorsy Type
  • Like 3

It has crept into our house with my college-age kids.  It doesn't really offend me but one time when the word had been flying around a lot for a few days in a row, I asked my older kids if they were ready to start hearing their little sister (she was 5 then) saying that word.  

They were horrified - LOL!  

Now, I'm not saying that the word doesn't ever happen in our house, but it's usually saved and only used in very dramatic moments.  

I feel like I should add that we don't curse at all in our house - about the most the kids would ever hear one of their parents say is darn or heck.  I think crap is on the same general level.  

A funny story . . . my mother used to say "shit" only in extreme situations when I was growing up.  I remember her saying it a handful of times.  My daughter and my mother were having a discussion about language a few years back and my daughter (late high school age at the time) told her grandma, "Well, Grandma, just think of "crap" as being the new "shit".  Hee-hee.  Makes me laugh every time I  think about it.

• Like 3

Both.  But all exclamations like that are equivalent to swearing in my book.

The Lutheran pastor who confirmed me had a long discussion about how even "nice" exclamations such as that are swear words. It went something like: "'Goodness gracious,' is taking the Lord's name in vain because there is no goodness without God.  Negative exclamations are nearly always about either the absence of God or defecation."  He went on to give several examples, and no one in the class could come up with an exception that he couldn't explain to fit the rule.

Every time I say something like that I feel I missed the mark. Yet I still feel like I say something like that all the time.

• Like 2

I say "stink" sometimes. It is just a sugar-coated version of "crap" really.   

To me crap = poo

As an aside I don't know how crap could ever be holy. I wonder how that wording came about.

i had a friend in college that said "I swear to gosh" all the time. It cracked me up.

Edited by cintinative

I say it.  I don't like it but it has crept into my vocab. I really hate hearing my daughter say it though it does not bother me so much when I hear my son or husband say it.  Don't anyone chide me for sexism; I know it doesn't make sense.

Oh, I never say "holy" in front of it.  Though in my past life I used to say "holy" with the similar but worse word (referenced in your OP).   Hate that now.

• Like 1

Not sure you want my thoughts, as I don't fall into the Christian category, but your post title caught my attention as this word has been a recent discussion here.  

I don't use that word with kids.  I don't really use it at all, actually.  But never with kids.  I also don't use suck (I will substitute stink, as in "that stinks") or "freaking" or "what the... " (trailing off, leaving the listener to wonder what expletive would have been inserted). I don't call things Holy ----, either, because I feel it might be offensive to others.  We don't use the words "oh god" etc, either, because our family knows that some people are offended by that, and we have so many more options to use to express surprise or shock or whatever we're feeling.  I might say some of those things (or a lot worse!) when out of the hearing of kids, or when typing to a friend, but mostly I creative language but nothing that I wouldn't want to hear come out of my 5 year old's mouth.

We've moved recently, and our little bubble has shifted.  We've moved to a less secular area, live in a neighborhood with PS kids, lots of middle schoolers, and lots of language experimentation going on here.  For the most part, it's not too bad - just what you'd expect when there are some older kids in the mix, but I have been absolutely shocked to hear the language from a particular large family.  They are very religious, and I expected that we'd be on the same page re: language, but we're clearly not.   :)  It's been ... enlightening, especially the 9 year old, who is clearly used to using the word crap, and everything I listed above, and doesn't view those as any big deal.  DH thinks the kids are rebelling, and maybe that's so.  I'm not sure.  I tend to think their whole family speaks that way, as the 3 year old can sure do the same.  They're just one family, but I found it fascinating.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

I say gentler things in everyday life, but I use 'crap' or worse when I am actively and consciously trying to emphasize my reaction against something that is truly disgusting -- such as, maybe, sympathizing with someone who has endured medical malpractice. When I am expressing empathy consciously, I try to match the normal language of the person I'm talking with.

If I keep my language too clean, I don't think people get the sense that I am quite as appalled as I ought to be. However, because I generally keep my language clean, these expressions (when I choose to use them) indicate strong empathy.

Both. But all exclamations like that are equivalent to swearing in my book.

The Lutheran pastor who confirmed me had a long discussion about how even "nice" exclamations such as that are swear words. It went something like: "'Goodness gracious,' is taking the Lord's name in vain because there is no goodness without God. Negative exclamations are nearly always about either the absence of God or defecation." He went on to give several examples, and no one in the class could come up with an exception that he couldn't explain to fit the rule.

Every time I say something like that I feel I missed the mark. Yet I still feel like I say something like that all the time.

I respectfully but *completely* disagree with your old-school Lutheran.

I teach my Bible College students (when it comes up) that none of the words out culture defines as profanity have any relationship to the Bible's instructions about watching our language -- even the things that we think are 'taking the Lord's name in vain' don't have much similarity to the actual commandment against it.

I use it as an example of how 'we too build fences around the law' (and abide by them), lest we imagine ourselves to be less prone to human failibilities this our ancestors. Though I also affirm that they should watch their language for the sake of respectability anyhow.

• Like 4

Christian here.

I say crap, and shit, and poo.

My children say crap often, too.

I say them here; I say them there.

I say them almost anywhere. 

(Except shit- no one says shit at Grannie's house and lives!)

• Like 8

Some time ago a poster shared that they only said words their pastor would use.

My pastor drops the f-bomb daily.

Even if I limit it to what he says from the pulpit, crap, shit, ass, jackhole, bullshit, suck, piss, and damn are all on the table.

• Like 1

Christian here.

I say crap, and shit, and poo.

My children say crap often, too.

I say them here; I say them there.

I say them almost anywhere.

(Except shit- no one says shit at Grannie's house and lives!)

I don't say poo, but I say the others, and sometimes worse depending on the situation. I am Christian and I try not to say the actual curse words in front of my kids, but I am imperfect. They have all heard even the mother of them all at one time or another. But I don't personally consider crap a bad word. I think maybe it has to do partly with the circles one runs it. My friends- big on cussing. Like it's an art form in some ways. I know that is probably shocking to many, but we find it rather hilarious in the right context. Without kids around.

Some time ago a poster shared that they only said words their pastor would use.

My pastor drops the f-bomb daily.

Even if I limit it to what he says from the pulpit, crap, shit, ass, jackhole, bullshit, suck, piss, and damn are all on the table.

I would love to meet your pastor. Sounds very much like my friend who went to seminary. :)

I say holy crap frequently after church business sessions.

I laughed at the thought of Holy Crap and decided to live with myself, but this just sent me too far into hysterics. I'm sure you didn't actually mean, you know, "business"

• Like 1

I say crap or shit but not always or even most of the time as an explicative.

I am more likely to use either as a noun in a sentence like "I need to pick up all this camping crap today" or "I've got to get my shit together for my presentation by tomorrow". In that context it mean rubbish, junk, disorderly mess.

Before anyone says this is because I have a small vocabulary or do it know how to use proper English I guess I will start digging out my SAT and GRE scores, mkay?

I use a fair bit of slang and informal or salty language because that was and is part of my subculture and I don't particularly care to change how I speak unless the context or communication form actually requires it.

• Like 8

I'll occasionally say both crap and the courser version of it, especially if I'm tired (looser filter). I don't add holy to either of them, I think it's blasphemous, personally.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Both.  But all exclamations like that are equivalent to swearing in my book.

The Lutheran pastor who confirmed me had a long discussion about how even "nice" exclamations such as that are swear words. It went something like: "'Goodness gracious,' is taking the Lord's name in vain because there is no goodness without God.  Negative exclamations are nearly always about either the absence of God or defecation."  He went on to give several examples, and no one in the class could come up with an exception that he couldn't explain to fit the rule.

You must have had the most unusual Lutheran pastor ever.  The ones I know can swear with the best of them.  I do know that there are very different types of Lutheran churches, so maybe that is the difference.

I really don't care about crap, or any other swear word.  I think it's polite to consider your company when choosing your words.  However, there are many cities that I can walk two blocks and hear 12 F-bombs.  It doesn't phase me.

• Like 1

You must have had the most unusual Lutheran pastor ever.  The ones I know can swear with the best of them.  I do know that there are very different types of Lutheran churches, so maybe that is the difference.

I really don't care about crap, or any other swear word.  I think it's polite to consider your company when choosing your words.  However, there are many cities that I can walk two blocks and hear 12 F-bombs.  It doesn't phase me.

This.

We have some words we call "driver's license" words. As in, I don't wanna hear that come out of your mouth before you have a driver's license because I hope by the time you are mature enough to drive a two ton death machine you are mature enough to know when and when not to drop the f-bomb.

• Like 2

We all say it with wild abandon.

I'm sure more lovely words could be chosen, but it just doesn't strike me as terribly offensive. "I had a crappy day." Or "The hairdresser did a crappy job of cutting my hair." Or "Clean up all this Lego crap before company gets here!"

Just doesn't bother me.

• Like 13

You must have had the most unusual Lutheran pastor ever. The ones I know can swear with the best of them. I do know that there are very different types of Lutheran churches, so maybe that is the difference.

I really don't care about crap, or any other swear word. I think it's polite to consider your company when choosing your words. However, there are many cities that I can walk two blocks and hear 12 F-bombs. It doesn't phase me.

The Lutheran private school I went to was the same way as Katy's pastor. " Oh my gosh" would get you sentences, because you were meaning the same thing and the intent was the sin. It never made any sense to me because then what exclamation was I allowed to make? If oh my gosh was bad, then oh my would have been equally as bad. Their attempts as cleaning up our thoughts was a complete failure though- we all left 8th grade capable of cursing like sailors. Maybe it's a private school rebellion thing, but I honestly think if they hadn't made such a huge to-do over it we wouldn't have had so much (among other things) to rebell against. Edited by texasmom33

I say crap sometimes.  Or variants such as keee - rap.  It's about as civilized as saying poop.  :P

Holy crap?  Not that I recall.  Sometimes when I'm freaked out I might say holy wtf, but I'm not proud of that.  :P

• Like 1

Both. But all exclamations like that are equivalent to swearing in my book.

The Lutheran pastor who confirmed me had a long discussion about how even "nice" exclamations such as that are swear words. It went something like: "'Goodness gracious,' is taking the Lord's name in vain because there is no goodness without God. Negative exclamations are nearly always about either the absence of God or defecation." He went on to give several examples, and no one in the class could come up with an exception that he couldn't explain to fit the rule.

So what does he suggest that you say when there's a need for some sort of exclamation? I mean sometimes you drop a stack of plates on the floor and they all shatter and you at least want to say "oh my goodness gracious!" Or something! How about "shoot!" Is that okay? "Oh dear, what a terrible thing just happened that I broke the plates?" I do use cr$p but I know it's not very nice--try to not say it. Other words are usually uttered under my breath or out of the hearing of children.

Oh and poo and poop are what we call bathroom functions. What does your two year old say...I need to have a bowel movement? I didn't know poo and poop were considered bad words when referring to actual bodily functions....or bad at all-- certainly tasteless things to say in polite company, but more on the lines of chewing with your mouth open or licking your fingers instead of using your napkin than yelling at someone or stealing kinds of things (not swearing, not blasphemy, not something God cares about, just plain old rude)

• Like 1

In our family we don't use what most people would consider swear words. Sh!t, the F bomb, d----,  and h---- woould not be acceptable.

However, we do talk about how many of these words are simply crude or considered socially unacceptable. It's just not how we want to portray ourselves. Not really classy. But not necessarily a sin if you stub your toe in the dark of night and say it all alone in your house. :) It can hurt your testimony which is where I might come closer to considering it sin. Kind of a gray area to me. Uncontrolled anger, whether you're using the actual words or just reaming someone out without using the words is not Godly.

We do draw the line at using God's name flippantly though. Not okay.

Also, using God's name in vain is saying you're a Christian but engaging in gross, unrepentant sin. You are "vainly" labeling yourself as a child of God, but not trying to live it.

My two cents on all this crap.

:)

• Like 1

We don't say it around my house casually. I might, when explaining about a movie, that they can't watch it because it has a lot of crap in it. I usually say it in a quieter tone too, lol.

I don't think it is a bad word. I grew up not saying it, so it is ingrained in me not to. Even when I do, I feel guilty which is so weird.

Sh!t = crap = poop.  It's not a huge deal to us, but we try to avoid the "official" swear word, which is the first one.  However, I just saw a bald eagle for the first time in my life while out hiking with my kids yesterday and we all laughed after I exclaimed, "Holy sh!t it IS a bald eagle!!!" as it took flight from where we were watching it.  I said sorry guys! and we moved on.  Life.

I keep thinking of exclamations that the Lutheran pastor mentioned above might have a problem with.  "Oh my!" Nooooo, because everything belongs to God!  Get over it, sheesh.  Sorry, but what a waste of pastoral time, IMO.

• Like 3

I say both and don't think twice about it or consider it a big deal.

I think there comes a point where anything could mean anything, so really it splits hairs.  I mean, darn and dang and oh my gosh and oh my goodness.... everything is a stand in for something else.  Heck, etc, etc.  There are so many.

Like if we really got down to it and never said all those things, what would one say?  Even if someone is making up a random silly phrase, it is, in essence, a stand in for another phrase.  So... yeah.  To me, nbd.  

So it just comes down to it just not being a big deal to me.  My kids are allowed to say all of the above and stupid and everything else barring actual curse words - not so much because of me (I don't verbalize them often, and never in front of the kids, but in my head and when I'm alone... lol) but because it's something that is a big deal in my FOO and to my DH and his FOO.  So... it's just not a big deal to me.  

• Like 3