Menu

Recommended one semester economics course?

We used the Glencoe Economics: Today and Tomorrow text.  It has some online resources and quizzes. 

For the Timothy Taylor lectures audio only would be fine.  I seem to remember him quoting some things with foul language, if that's a concern.  

• Like 1

We used the Glencoe Economics: Today and Tomorrow text. It has some online resources and quizzes.

For the Timothy Taylor lectures audio only would be fine. I seem to remember him quoting some things with foul language, if that's a concern.

Just curious:

How bad of language? I'm not opposed to my high schoolers hearing some swear words, as I'm sure they'll hear a wide variety by the time they get through college, but I wouldn't be too happy with my youngers overhearing them while playing nearby.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Honestly, it's been a couple of years, so I can't be sure.  Maybe someone else can add info.  I just know I didn't want the younger dc to hear.  Since older dc didn't want to sit still to listen with headphones and we didn't have a portable CD player to use, we returned it to the library.  Between reading the textbook and the news, dc still got a good introductory grasp of economics.

• Like 1

Thanks for the recommendation on the Timothy Taylor Economics lectures!  Is this something where the videos really add something, or would the audio only work well too?

I don't know, I haven't watched them all yet to see if there are any charts or visual aids used or not. We just really like watching something while we listen so I prefer to get the DVDs. :)

• Like 1

We used the Glencoe Economics: Today and Tomorrow text.  It has some online resources and quizzes. 

For the Timothy Taylor lectures audio only would be fine.  I seem to remember him quoting some things with foul language, if that's a concern.  

Quoting a bit of foul language isn't a problem here; he's the youngest one in the house.  The audio version of the course is available at the library, so that's a plus. 

In looking at the table of contents of the Timothy Taylor lectures and most textbooks (I have the McConnell, Blue, Flynn Economics text, but we'd only be able to use part of that book in a semester if we use it), there seems to be a lot of overlap of topics.  Were the lectures more for an introduction or go into more depth or something else?  How do they fit with a text? 

Have others used any supplemental materials on the side?  Thanks!

Edited by Brad S

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! In listening to the first lecture of TGC by Timothy Taylor, it sounds like a good fit.  The presenter starts out at a very basic level, is easy to understand, raises issues that an engaged high school student or college freshman might ask, sounds practical, and seems balanced.  It also seems substantial for a basic introduction and not a lot of fluff like I've seen in some high school materials.  These all seem to check the boxes for us.  We'll give it a try.

I'm still struggling with what else to do in the course besides listen to the lectures.

Edited by Brad S
  • Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! In listening to the first lecture of TGC by Timothy Taylor, it sounds like a good fit.  The presenter starts out at a very basic level, is easy to understand, raises issues that an engaged high school student or college freshman might ask, sounds practical, and seems balanced.  It also seems substantial for a basic introduction and not a lot of fluff like I've seen in some high school materials.  These all seem to check the boxes for us.  We'll give it a try.

I'm still struggling with what else to do in the course besides listen to the lectures.

Let us know what you decided, we might go this route for economics as well.  I know that I want to incorporate some environmental economics and behavioral economics to our course. I'm wondering if this TC course covers the basics well enough to dispense with a text for the basics, and to  use readings to cover these other aspects.  Do you have the guidebook yet? Does he recommend particular texts to go with the course?

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! In listening to the first lecture of TGC by Timothy Taylor, it sounds like a good fit. The presenter starts out at a very basic level, is easy to understand, raises issues that an engaged high school student or college freshman might ask, sounds practical, and seems balanced. It also seems substantial for a basic introduction and not a lot of fluff like I've seen in some high school materials. These all seem to check the boxes for us. We'll give it a try.

We are planning on reading the guidebook and using the questions in it as a jumping off point for discussion.

As far as output, I'm having my older DS do a research paper on the topic of his choice from the course outline. Younger DS needs more structured help with his writing so he's doing IEW's theme based book on Economics along with the lectures and discussion.

• Like 2

As I've been listening to the Timothy Taylor GC, the first two lectures are great, and start at a basic level, but then the third lecture seems to get to point where you need some written materials really to understand what's going on.  I think we'll use the Timothy Taylor lectures in combination with the Economics book by McConnell, Blue, and Flynn, selecting out the chapters covered in their short book Essentials of Economics (using the complete book, however, will allow DS to explore additional topics on his own, which he might; it would also allow for an easier expansion into AP microeconomics and/or AP macroeconomics if he decides he wants to do that).  There's a table a few pages in which shows which chapters are included in Essentials of Economics, which seems like a good selection.

I think we'll also read The Birth of Plenty: How Prosperity in the Modern World Was Created for some economic history; it's the best book I could find on economic history at the high school level.  It should also help with understanding the important role of economics on world history and perhaps the likely futures of countries.

I've also got some issues with some assumptions that Timothy Taylor makes in the third lecture (track 2 of the audio), but it's fairly minor and will make for something for us to discuss, and he's still pretty mainstream.  After lecture 2, we'll start on the McConnell book anyhow.  Right now, I'm more set on the McConnell book than The Great Courses lectures, but we'll go with the above unless I find anything better. 

Finally, I was thinking that we'll use the accompanying Study Guide for the McConnell book.  It would also be nice to have a little economic analysis of a current issue...something that perhaps could be done in about two days?  Any thoughts on a little analysis?  Any other great materials we should consider using?

• Like 3

Let us know what you decided, we might go this route for economics as well.  I know that I want to incorporate some environmental economics and behavioral economics to our course. I'm wondering if this TC course covers the basics well enough to dispense with a text for the basics, and to  use readings to cover these other aspects.  Do you have the guidebook yet? Does he recommend particular texts to go with the course?

As I mentioned in the previous post, by lecture 3 it seems to me that it might be hard to understand the material in an efficient manner without a text.  Others who've actually used the lectures may have a different perspective.  I didn't see any directly "recommended text" in the guidebook, but the Supplemental Reading listed with lecture 1 is two textbooks: Gregory Mankiw, Principles of Economics; and McConnell, et al, Economics.

• Like 3

Crash Course's Economics videos are pretty good. We used those, the Uncle Eric books, some of the Stossel DVDs, Great Courses: How to Think Like An Economist (audio only) and Financial Fitness for Life. DS did a project on a topic of his choosing -- he chose the minimum wage.

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 1

Okay, I am going to admit that not only is this the worst subject for me to deal with in high school because I find it mind numbingly boring - no offense to you economics buffs, this just my unique problem - that in order to streamline things, this is what we do.

I have the economics lectures from the Great Courses. My kids watch and take basic notes on that. They read Economics for Dummies. They answer the questions in the GC guidebook which is less than robust to say the least, but I don't care.  :D

I make up three quizzes. From those three, twenty question quizzes, I make one 40 question end of year test that is, well, not hard.  :D

I give them a half credit, and am happy.

• Like 6

Okay, I am going to admit that not only is this the worst subject for me to deal with in high school because I find it mind numbingly boring - no offense to you economics buffs, this just my unique problem - that in order to streamline things, this is what we do.

I have the economics lectures from the Great Courses. My kids watch and take basic notes on that. They read Economics for Dummies. They answer the questions in the GC guidebook which is less than robust to say the least, but I don't care.  :D

I make up three quizzes. From those three, twenty question quizzes, I make one 40 question end of year test that is, well, not hard.  :D

Thanks for this! This is probably the approach we will take - this will be a light 1/2 credit for us, too.  Not because we're interested, but because our state requires it and state colleges expect to see it.

• Like 1

Similar to Faith Manor -- we watched the Timothy Taylor Great Course, and also used it as a study skills/note-taking practice. I made a quick quiz for each lecture so DSs could also practice studying from their notes.

Yes, it was a fine introduction into all the topics of Micro- and Macro- Economics. We also added a unit on personal finance, and read a 1-2 light supplemental books on topics related to Economics and Money, and all together counted that as our 0.5 credit of Economics.

As far as DVD vs. audio version -- there are quite a few charts throughout all of the lectures showing supply/demand, cost of goods, investment, capital, etc., so I would highly recommend a video version rather than an audio-only version.

Bad language???!! Wow, I sure don't remember anything like THAT! All I can guess is that he might have one time quoted someone else as an intro to a topic, and the original person he quoted used a 4-letter word… But I really have a hard time picturing ANY of the Great Courses allowing liberal sprinklings of profanity or cursing!!  ?

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

Bad language???!! Wow, I sure don't remember anything like THAT! All I can guess is that he might have one time quoted someone else as an intro to a topic, and the original person he quoted used a 4-letter word… But I really have a hard time picturing ANY of the Great Courses allowing liberal sprinklings of profanity or cursing!!  :confused:

I was surprised, too.  It was definitely quoted material, and I think it happened more than once.  It's possible I'm wrong about it being the Economics 3rd ed. course, but I don't think so.  It's the only audio course I remember dc didn't finish. 

I have the economics lectures from the Great Courses. My kids watch and take basic notes on that. They read Economics for Dummies. They answer the questions in the GC guidebook which is less than robust to say the least, but I don't care. :D

I make up three quizzes. From those three, twenty question quizzes, I make one 40 question end of year test that is, well, not hard. :D

I can't even tell you how glad I am to read this! :)

• Like 1

FYI, my goal for this class, and my perspective on high school economics, is that I feel it's critical that my DS has a basic, functioning understanding of economics before graduating – not necessarily at the AP econ level, but enough to be an informed voter. Economic policies, whether labeled as economic policies or not, have a huge effect on our society: our standard of living, life expectancy, opportunities, crime rates, and national security. At least in the US, many policies – of both major parties, and others – don't even pass the laugh test economically. Often what has been known to work for decades or centuries just doesn't get done right. Politicians routinely spout off proposals that make absolutely no sense in even a rudimentary economic sense. Many policies don't have clear evidence to support a particular position, but there are a lot that do, at national and local levels. A society can either strive for a policy objective efficiently or inefficiently (and, if inefficiently, there may be many other things that can't be accomplished). My goal, first and foremost, with this one-semester class, is to provide the background and tools for my DC to evaluate relatively simple economic policies discussed in the public arena.

• Like 2

FYI, my goal for this class, and my perspective on high school economics, is that I feel it's critical that my DS has a basic, functioning understanding of economics before graduating – not necessarily at the AP econ level, but enough to be an informed voter. Economic policies, whether labeled as economic policies or not, have a huge effect on our society: our standard of living, life expectancy, opportunities, crime rates, and national security. At least in the US, many policies – of both major parties, and others – don't even pass the laugh test economically. Often what has been known to work for decades or centuries just doesn't get done right. Politicians routinely spout off proposals that make absolutely no sense in even a rudimentary economic sense. Many policies don't have clear evidence to support a particular position, but there are a lot that do, at national and local levels. A society can either strive for a policy objective efficiently or inefficiently (and, if inefficiently, there may be many other things that can't be accomplished). My goal, first and foremost, with this one-semester class, is to provide the background and tools for my DC to evaluate relatively simple economic policies discussed in the public arena.

Brad, while my ds used a different text for Macro because he took the AP class through PAHS, you could easily use the McConnell text with the Tim Taylor lectures and accomplish your goals. We have the McConnell text for Micro and ds has decided it will probably go to college with him for reference for the  2-3 higher level classes he'll be taking. Take a look at the sample syllabi on the College Board site as I think most of them are for one semester and at least two of them utilize McConnell. 

My older kids used a high school econ text, but if your dc are at all interested in economics, I'd go with McConnell.  It'll be a straight-forward class and easy to implement. Tie your studies into current events and you'll have flexibility with the materials to do AP if you want. 

• Like 1

I have an article for you:

The Economics of Economics Textbooks

Here is a link for the open source Tim Taylor Macroeconomics book

Microeconomics

The table of contents for the Microeconomics texts is presented in roughly the same order the lecture series - as far as I got in checking.

How easy is that?  The essential reading in the guidebooks is often back articles from The Economist.

• Like 1

Brad, while my ds used a different text for Macro because he took the AP class through PAHS, you could easily use the McConnell text with the Tim Taylor lectures and accomplish your goals. We have the McConnell text for Micro and ds has decided it will probably go to college with him for reference for the  2-3 higher level classes he'll be taking. Take a look at the sample syllabi on the College Board site as I think most of them are for one semester and at least two of them utilize McConnell. 

My older kids used a high school econ text, but if your dc are at all interested in economics, I'd go with McConnell.  It'll be a straight-forward class and easy to implement. Tie your studies into current events and you'll have flexibility with the materials to do AP if you want. 

I think I've come to some of the same conclusions as you recommended, and it really helps to hear it from a BTDT parent!!  I've started reading your second post, which has more great info (thanks!).  I spoke with my DS, and he's on board with the plan of "basic econ" for sure, to help understand the news and political discussion/voting and, if he's interested, to follow up with more details to cover the remaining topics for AP micro and/or macroeconomics -- that's completely his decision depending upon his interests.

Updated draft course plan. As I've been listening to lectures and looking on and beyond the WTM archives, I've modified the plan a bit. While I like some aspects of the Timothy Taylor lectures (3rd ed.), I'm not crazy about it as being the whole course. I think it would be hard for a first-time economics student to follow some of the audio lectures without a book showing the graphs. Although I haven't come to the reported bad language, the speaker's grammar mistakes are really annoying too, to me at least, and I'm not crazy about the bad example for my DS. IMO it's just not one of their best courses either as a stand-alone class. (For example, the short version of McConnell, et al, Essentials of Economics, is the best I've found for that if you want just one thing.) Of course, YMMV, and I'd be interested in the views of others here. Since I've been listening to the lectures, and our library has them, I'll use some of them. Here's some of what I've found listening to the lectures:

• Lectures 1-2: I really like the introduction to economics lectures and how the speaker shows how economics is relevant. We'll start off our course with these two.
  • Lecture 3: We won't use this one. I think it's hard to follow this material in lecture format, and I don't think even video would completely fix that for a first-time student. Also, I think the opening example on salaries of pro athletes vs. nurses and high school biology teachers is a poor one as it makes value judgments and misses some economic points (e.g., a local professional sports team is basically a monopoly, and the opportunity to explain the difference between goals and economic experience is missed at this first instance in the course) – although we could use it to show the issues in the presentation; his next example on the classic diamond-water case doesn't have those issues as far as I know. Finally, he also makes several grammar errors (e.g., third error, where it started getting annoying, on Track 5 at ~1:43, I think another on Track 6 ~0:25, another on Track 6 ~2:04). Lecture 3 would probably best used after some additional background, such as McConnell's Chapter 1. After lecture 2, we'll probably go to the McConnell book for awhile.
  • Lecture 4: This material is easily conveyed by lecture, and he does a great job showing the abundant relevance to everyday political discussion -- e.g., he does a nice job showing the unintended negative consequences of some "nice sounding" policies. We'll use it!
  • Lecture 5: Another one where the material is somewhat hard to convey by lecture without referring to a book. Another grammar error. (Lecture 6, track 9 ~1:00-1:05 has another grammar error; at least the Teaching Company fixed the grammar error in the transcript here and maybe elsewhere.) We'll probably skip this lecture too and go for the book just use the McConnell book the rest of the way unless DS wants to continue with the lectures more.  (The open-source Tim Taylor book might be fine, but since I've now got the McConnell book, it looks very good to me, and it's got a good track record, we'll probably go with it.)

With the basics of the book, a few lectures, and two simple economic analyses, some weekly readings from The Economist magazine, I think we'll have managed the primary goal of the course. I will probably add Bernstein's Birth of Plenty for a simple economics history with relevance to today and some readings from Heilbroner's The Worldly Philosophers: The Lives, Times, and Ideas of the Great Economic Thinkers since we're doing a WTM-like Great Books approach to literature to accompany our parallel world history (I got the idea from a syllabus of a high school AP econ course and some things I did in high school). I'd love any comments on the draft plan or additional ideas!

Edited by Brad S
  • Like 2

I'm at the planning stages for both micro and macro (dd will either sit the AP or CLEP exams; I will get the syllabi approved for AP by College Board).

So far I've watched all the Crash Course videos. I like how current events are used to explain concepts. We listen to Marketplace every day, so it's neat to see one of the regular reporters on the videos. I've also watched some of the videos by the other CC presenter, a high school econ teacher. I think dd will like his style.

I purchased the "complete" McConnell text for only $12 :D (past edition). It should be waiting for me when we get home from our quickie CA vacation.

Dd has been reading The Economist weekly for a year. We'll continue with discussing selected articles.

• Like 2

I think it's a great plan and was just going to mention Heilbroner's book. My ds actually has his own copy. :tongue_smilie:

Taylor's book reminds me of the Rittenberg open source book we used for Macro. I much prefer McConnell. Also, I do have a copy of the AP Economics Microeconomics: Student Activities put out by the NCEE that you are welcome to. I could never manage to acquire a completely clean copy, but I do like some of the activities in it.

Check sample syllabus 3 for a possible outline and add your additional readings to it.

• Like 1

I'm at the planning stages for both micro and macro (dd will either sit the AP or CLEP exams; I will get the syllabi approved for AP by College Board).

So far I've watched all the Crash Course videos. I like how current events are used to explain concepts. We listen to Marketplace every day, so it's neat to see one of the regular reporters on the videos. I've also watched some of the videos by the other CC presenter, a high school econ teacher. I think dd will like his style.

I purchased the "complete" McConnell text for only $12 :D (past edition). It should be waiting for me when we get home from our quickie CA vacation.

Dd has been reading The Economist weekly for a year. We'll continue with discussing selected articles.

Luckymama, I wouldn't bother to reinvent the wheel on this one unless you really, really want to. Don't you have more pressing syllabi to get approved. :D

The one I linked in a previous post covers micro and macro.  Schedule Crash Course and whatever else makes your heart sing and you are done!

• Like 1

So far I've watched all the Crash Course videos. I like how current events are used to explain concepts. We listen to Marketplace every day, so it's neat to see one of the regular reporters on the videos. I've also watched some of the videos by the other CC presenter, a high school econ teacher. I think dd will like his style. ...

I need to look at the Crash Course videos.  Thanks!

I think it's a great plan and was just going to mention Heilbroner's book. My ds actually has his own copy. :tongue_smilie:

Taylor's book reminds me of the Rittenberg open source book we used for Macro. I much prefer McConnell. Also, I do have a copy of the AP Economics Microeconomics: Student Activities put out by the NCEE that you are welcome to. I could never manage to acquire a completely clean copy, but I do like some of the activities in it.

Check sample syllabus 3 for a possible outline and add your additional readings to it.

Thank you so much!  Lots of great stuff!

On economic analysis topic, how about immigration? Or government provided business development packages?

One thing I like about using the "complete" McConnell Economics book even for a one-semester class is that a lot of relevant issues are covered in the book, like immigration, even though they're beyond what's probably reasonable to cover in one semester -- so it's right there to read if DS is interested.  (The short McConnell course, Essentials of Economics, doesn't cover immigration but appears to cover enough so the reader could understand such an analysis after the course.)  While there isn't a chapter entitled "business development packages" in the "complete" McConnell, there are some chapters devoted to various types of business development.  From what I've read, the book seems pretty balanced consistently and focused on explaining economic analysis principles rather than pushing a political agenda explicitly or implicitly.   

• Like 1

As I've been listening to the Timothy Taylor GC, the first two lectures are great, and start at a basic level, but then the third lecture seems to get to point where you need some written materials really to understand what's going on.  I think we'll use the Timothy Taylor lectures in combination with the Economics book by McConnell, Blue, and Flynn, selecting out the chapters covered in their short book Essentials of Economics (using the complete book, however, will allow DS to explore additional topics on his own, which he might; it would also allow for an easier expansion into AP microeconomics and/or AP macroeconomics if he decides he wants to do that).  There's a table a few pages in which shows which chapters are included in Essentials of Economics, which seems like a good selection.

I think we'll also read The Birth of Plenty: How Prosperity in the Modern World Was Created for some economic history; it's the best book I could find on economic history at the high school level.  It should also help with understanding the important role of economics on world history and perhaps the likely futures of countries.

I've also got some issues with some assumptions that Timothy Taylor makes in the third lecture (track 2 of the audio), but it's fairly minor and will make for something for us to discuss, and he's still pretty mainstream.  After lecture 2, we'll start on the McConnell book anyhow.  Right now, I'm more set on the McConnell book than The Great Courses lectures, but we'll go with the above unless I find anything better. 

Finally, I was thinking that we'll use the accompanying Study Guide for the McConnell book.  It would also be nice to have a little economic analysis of a current issue...something that perhaps could be done in about two days?  Any thoughts on a little analysis?  Any other great materials we should consider using?

Thank you Brad for the detailed outline above. We'll be studying Economics not this fall, but next. This will give me a head start on planning. I especially like the The Birth of Plenty.

Brad, I was reminded this morning of the other "component" you need for your economics class.

An exchange student!

Our Spanish student and "third son" is back with us and we acquired a new French student on Monday.

One of my favorite aspects of these visits is to sit in on breakfast table and/or late night political and economic discussions. I am grateful that we took the time in high school to cover modern European history/politics and economics. The European youth are fairly savvy on these issues.  The 25% unemployment rate in Spain and the relative weakness of France's current government, along with the impact of "Brexit," are hot topics.  Our French student was discussing the growing trend of the wealthier parts of some of the European countries wishing to separate from their poorer parts.  When I listen to the thoughtfulness in the conversations and the analysis that goes in to weighing various options, it makes me hopeful for the future.

However, this gratifying conversation can just as easily deteriorate into lamenting that there are no bikinis on our beaches, only sweatshirts. Then of course, my son and the Spaniard must abuse each other with their favorite insults.

• Like 2