Menu

nm

madteaparty

I worked full time from before my oldest was born until she was 11, when her brother was born.  I went back when she was 7 weeks old.  I didn't really agonize over it because there really was no possible choice in the matter.  I HAD to work.  

I was laid off from my job while on maternity leave with my son (knew it was coming, the company was closing down) and stayed home with the kids until a few years ago.  When I went back to work 3 years ago, it was agonizing.  I missed teaching them, I missed being home with them, I missed being able to keep some standard of clean without spending my whole weekend on it.  They were doing well (for the most part) but when the situation changed and working was no longer necessary, or the best option, I didn't really hesitate to quit.

I think it was a combination of I didn't know what I was missing with my oldest and there was no choice in the matter, so I didn't even think about much.  Once I knew, I didn't want to give it up.

• Like 1

I had ds in 2003 and worked from home until dd was born in 2005, things gradually got worse with xh and I needed a plan, so I joined the military. I ended up leaving him shortly after basic training. So I worked full time plus some from the time they were 1 and 3 until they were 5 and 7. I had them in daycare and/or school from then until midway through 2nd and 4th grade. Other than going through basic training and tech school, being away from during the day's didn't bother me much at all. I love being with them now, and I love not having to send the little one to daycare but I do really miss working sometimes.

• Like 1

I went back FT when my oldest was 9 months and quit when she was 3 and her brother was born. I hated it then but that was because I didn't like my job, didn't have a choice about working FT since we needed my salary and health insurance benefits, and she was little.

I'm in a very different stage of my life now. The kids are older and much more independent (even my SN child), I am training for an occupation where I'd actually be making a huge difference in the lives of my clients & their families (as opposed to just making my employer's shareholders money), and while we could definitely use the money I'd be earning to help pay for the kids' college, I have a choice. I'll be employed primarily because I feel this is how God is calling me to give back to the community, not because our rent is due.

• Like 1

I worked ft before we had kids and then only part time after first was born in 1989, then got prego with second and had to quit due to an illness. I never worked again until 2013 when I had to because I had student loans to pay off. The job I got was not even worth going to work for and I wasn't able to use either my bachelor's or master's degrees. I hated it but didn't let on and all the while my kids were in a horrible middle school and one was being bullied with zero help from school. I started praying for an out and by January 2014 I got my answer in the form of a disability. I've not been back to work and I never will have to now that my loans have been forgiven and dh has a good job.

I've never liked to work outside the home for various reasons. It's just never been something I wanted to do. I loved being with my kids. I think it's just how I'm wired and yet I have other friends who love being away from home.

• Like 1

I worked part-time around dh's job for a few years, then a little daycare, then home for a couple of years full-time homeschooling. The hardest years were the ones where I ran in several directions, trying to keep it all under one hat. I was exhausted, kid was being shuffled around, nobody felt at peace.

I then waited until he was in HS before I began part-time work again and now full time since he has been gone.

Even now - with no children at home - I miss the part where I get to try out new recipes, clean the house a little more thoroughly, keep up with the laundry, etc. I don't miss it so much that I want to quit my jobs but I wish there were more hours in the day. Dh picks up a lot of slack and it works for now since there are no kiddos being neglected but I am looking forward to the time when all I will do is work in one job and only one job.

• Like 1

My kids are 14 and 16. I went back to school 2 years ago and have worked full-time this past year. I very much miss the kids/home/life/way of doing things that we had. It certainly wasn't perfect, and there are certainly good things about working. But i miss the cozy home life that we had.

• Like 1

I'm not fond of working full time or staying home full time.  I seriously need part time - and my own hours.  When I get into a rut at school, I stay home.  When I get into a rut at home, I go to school.

TBH, I LOVE my job and have enjoyed the short (6 weeks - 3 months) long term (aka full time) stints I have had, BUT the home life sort of falls apart with both hubby and I working full time and I feel guilty leaving him with so much more of the home chores to do.  It also puts a crimp into our traveling.  Full time at school is not just time spent at school (like part time is).  There is grading and planning that all happens outside of school (for me).  That uses many "family" hours.

Every now and then I get the idea that I want to work full time - usually after students or parents guilt me about not doing it (the vast majority like my style, so I often get the "why not?" question from them and admin).  It is fun touching lives and knowing you make a difference.  The kids I have make being in the classroom very enjoyable.  But I also enjoy traveling and our home life.  In the end, traveling and the home life win - esp once I consider all the other paperwork I'd need to be doing if I were full time.  I get away without doing it even on most long term assignments because our admin doesn't get pushy about it.  They just like having me fill in, so I can cut some corners without getting in trouble.  As a real full time teacher I wouldn't be able to.

The money would be better full time, but money isn't everything.  Having time to spend with hubby and the boys on their schedules is priceless.

• Like 2

Between full time college and part time work, I'm away from home for full time hours (at least..lol).  I don't miss it a lot. Except those 75 degree days when the sun is shining and I get the urge to work in the yard..lol.  But my kiddos are older, and are hardly ever home. 

• Like 1