Menu

ideas\experience with which spelling program after finishing AAS in 3rd grade?

EthylPie

My ds8 likes to read and doesn't have trouble spelling. I think he has a little bit of a photographic memory, he doesn't need much practice before he remembers how to spell a word. We will be finishing AAS through level 7 next year (3rd) but I don't know what to use next. I thought about something that teaches the Latin and Greek roots, but am open to suggestions. I don't want something too tough because he does have the maturity you'd expect for a typical 3rd grade boy.

He's doing fantastic! AAS 7 introduces a number of Greek & Latin roots, and you can continue to build on that foundation in a casual way, depending on what you use--there are some suggestions in this blog post on Teaching Latin Roots with Word Trees. Also, the last step in Level 7 has a plan for life-long learning--if you already have L7, you may want to look ahead. For an advanced student like your son, I would just keep working on spelling in his writing--I suspect that he's the type who only needs to see a correction once or twice. You can also have him do things like keep a Tricky Word List of any words that tend to trip him up. As he learns new words and masters others, his list can change.

Have fun!