Menu

If you try to drink a measured amount of liqiud each day, how do you keep track?

Tap

DD is supposed to try to drink 80oz of liquid every day.  She has been diagnosed with 'features of POTS" by her cardiologist and he wants her to increase her liquid. She already has at least 40 but more likely 60+ a day, but he wants her to increase the liquid to 80oz daily and for her to take salt tablets.

I am thinking about a few ways to track it but thought I would see if anyone has an idea.

She doesn't just drink water from home, so having a measured amount here, that she refills from, won't work. 

I have a glass pitcher I fill with filtered water and leave on the counter.  I dont' like cold water, and prefer it room temp. I fill it twice and work to get through it.

for 80oz -I'd just get a 40 oz water bottle, keep it handy, and make sure it was filled (and emptied) twice.  (or a 30 oz bottle an fill it 3x.)

we used hyrdroflask and a couple knock off brands (simple modern, and one that came  in a 2-pk from Costco.) on a long road trip.  they're vacuum, so they don't 'sweat' and keep cold drinks cold, and warm drinks warm. I replaced the lids with the hydroflask straw lids..  (worked on the knock-off bottltes too.)

• Like 1

I have a glass pitcher I fill with filtered water and leave on the counter.  I dont' like cold water, and prefer it room temp. I fill it twice and work to get through it.

for 80oz -I'd just get a 40 oz water bottle, keep it handy, and make sure it was filled (and emptied) twice.  (or a 30 oz bottle an fill it 3x.)

we used hyrdroflask and a couple knock off brands (simple modern, and one that came  in a 2-pk from Costco.) on a long road trip.  they're vacuum, so they don't 'sweat' and keep cold drinks cold, and warm drinks warm. I replaced the lids with the hydroflask straw lids..  (worked on the knock-off bottltes too.)

She uses a hydroflask for most of her water but she doesn't just drink water and by the end of the day it is hard to remember, if she had 2 or 3 or 4 hydroflasks of water, and a glass of milk, a glass of juice and coffee....etc.

She uses a hydroflask for most of her water but she doesn't just drink water and by the end of the day it is hard to remember, if she had 2 or 3 or 4 hydroflasks of water, and a glass of milk, a glass of juice and coffee....etc.

I only drink water.  juice is loaded with sugar.  (milk has solids, which offsets the water.)

I do occasionally (i'd do more, but it's a hassle) add fresh lemon juice.  no sugar added.

there are 'flavore' packets she could add in if she doesn't like the taste of water.

when I was growing up, my dad would take two thermoses to work.  one for coffee, and one for tea.

• Like 1

For the water fill a flask. For other things make sure you have a dedicated cup for her that you know the capacity of (or set of cups). Get her to make a tally each time she has a drink of something other than water if she can. (I'm not sure if she's your special needs dd?). Or if she can't have a set of cups just for her, don't have her reuse glasses and count the dirty cups at the end of the day. Going out drinks will be a little harder but the home days will give you an approximate starting point.

My mom aims to drink 4 bottles of water a day. She uses a glass water bottle and keeps rubber bands around it. She moves one of the rubber bands when she refills the bottle. It works really well for her. She said it gives her a visual way of knowing how much she's had and how much more she needs.

My 18yo has to be very careful to drink water all day long. She has low blood pressure and POTS and gets dehydrated easily.

She uses Plant Nanny. She has a Tervis Tumbler with a lid that she uses to drink from all day and as soon as she finishes one cup, she puts it into Plant Nanny.

She's been using the Plant Nanny app for about two years now and it has really helped.