Menu

Elemental Science Physics for Logic Stage - resources?

blue daisy

Who has used this program before?

We're using ES Physics for the Logic stage next year.  I already had the Usborne Internet Linked Science encyclopedia so I'm substituting that for the DK one and just adjusting the page numbers he needs to read.  I have the Robotics book and the Bridges and Tunnels books.  Do I need any of the other supplemental resources (Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia and Usborne Illustrated Dictionary Science) and if so, which would you recommend? (Trying not to have a ginormous stack of books to go along with the program.)

I hesitate to post since I'm not using physics, but I plan on doing Chemistry for the Logic stage. Elemental Science has an Amazon store where they list the spines and supplemental books for each curriculum. But you already listed most of the books they have for physics.

I just finished planning out my year for this chemistry program and I would caution about using too many supplemental books. If the student guide for physics is anything like chemistry's, there is a lot of work to do with the experiment, lab report, research, outlining and reporting. At the end of each chapter there are ideas for further study, with extra readings or videos. You might want to look at the end of each chapter to see if there are other books or materials that spark your interest.

Hope that helps!

I hesitate to post since I'm not using physics, but I plan on doing Chemistry for the Logic stage. Elemental Science has an Amazon store where they list the spines and supplemental books for each curriculum. But you already listed most of the books they have for physics.

I just finished planning out my year for this chemistry program and I would caution about using too many supplemental books. If the student guide for physics is anything like chemistry's, there is a lot of work to do with the experiment, lab report, research, outlining and reporting. At the end of each chapter there are ideas for further study, with extra readings or videos. You might want to look at the end of each chapter to see if there are other books or materials that spark your interest.

Hope that helps!

Thanks! I agree, there are a lot of resources!  I have the required ones.  I'm just wondering about the two optional ones, especially since I'm using a different spine than the one listed.  I'm leaning towards skipping the additional encyclopedia but getting the illustrated dictionary from Usborne, just to have another source to look at pictures/diagrams in case he doesn't understand anything. 

Thanks for the input! :)

Thanks! I agree, there are a lot of resources! I have the required ones. I'm just wondering about the two optional ones, especially since I'm using a different spine than the one listed. I'm leaning towards skipping the additional encyclopedia but getting the illustrated dictionary from Usborne, just to have another source to look at pictures/diagrams in case he doesn't understand anything.

Thanks for the input! :)

That sounds like a good idea. I think too many encyclopedia resources would be confusing for choosing to do an outline, but having more graphics and diagrams would be better, especially for physics.

Hope you have a great year with it! I am cautiously optimistic that this is the science curriculum for us!

I'm not using Elemental Science anymore, but I bought all the encyclopedias/dictionary when we did biology. The Usborne dictionary is by far my favorite. I think adding that for reference is a good idea, but another encyclopedia is redundant.

Edited by TKDmom
  • Like 1

I'm not using Elemental Science anymore, but I bought all the encyclopedias/dictionary when we did biology. The Usborne dictionary is by far my favorite. I think adding that for reference is a good idea, but another encyclopedia is redundant.

Good to know!  I went ahead and ordered the illustrated dictionary.  Thanks!