Menu

CLE Reading

Teek

Can you tell me about it? I had originally planned to do Reading Detective for a few weeks (5th grader) and then switch to literature studies with Progeny or Memoria guides, but we haven't picked which literature yet. I've seen a couple of posts about CLE Reading here, which I'm not familiar with. This will be my first year homeschooling 2 kiddos, so anything that takes less prep time but is still a thorough program is great for me.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. If you use it, do you add any literature to it? What skills does the Reading cover? We're doing Saxon (Hake) Grammar and Writing 5, and Wordly Wise 3000 (although I'm fine with dropping that if I can find a good reading program that incorporates vocabulary), as well as All About Spelling. We've probably got about a year of spelling left. She was behind when we started homeschooling a couple of years ago, but AAS has really clicked with her so we'll stick with it as long as it works.

Thanks for any input you can give me!

CLE Reading is known for having not such difficult reading but more challenging work to go with it. It includes comprehension and vocabulary, but also analysis, inference, literary terms, etc. It just covers a lot of bases. All but one child of my four dc enjoyed the stories, when they haven't liked other readers.

The vocabulary is on the easy side for my DD who is still using it. But Saxon Grammar has vocab, too, so you may not really need Wordly Wise if you go with CLE Reading. I may add vocab into our schedule, but I may not have my DD do it during the time she's using CLE Reading.

This last year I had DD use Collier Junior Classics when she finished CLE. She read one volume and liked it so much that she asked for the next volume. I only have her read them because if she associates reading with work too much, it could ruin the good thing she has going. She also reads novels of her own choice. Some good; some not. But I'm happy she's reading. My oldest read a lot of low quality kid's fiction for fun and she turned out more than fine. So this time around I stress less.

My DD loved it for third grade. We will continue with it for fourth. It is open-and-go, but there is an oral component to it, so it's not completely independent. I believe grades four and up are half-year programs, so there may be room in your schedule to add Wordly Wise or additional reading.

Here's a link to the scope and sequence.

https://www.clp.org/store/by_grade/23

Thanks so much! Would an at-level 5th grader generally start with the 500's? I checked the placement test but it's for all of ELA and they don't have one just for the reading curriculum so it's a little hard to figure out where she should start for just the reading.

Thanks so much! Would an at-level 5th grader generally start with the 500's? I checked the placement test but it's for all of ELA and they don't have one just for the reading curriculum so it's a little hard to figure out where she should start for just the reading.

We just jumped in. I jumped in at different levels with all kids. I will say I had one dd come right out of public school and I put her in the 700 level and she didn't last with it. But she also has some visual processing issues that makes reading very hard for her. I don't know if we would have had more success if we had gone down some since she has a genuine visual problem and not a problem with comprehension. She really needs high interest to stay engaged and can only read for very short periods of time. Another child did fine jumping in at that level. I've also thrown kids in at 400 and 500 and they did fine, too.

Again, with a child who is reading at grade level, it's not the reading that will be a problem as much as the thinking that CLE asks for.

You could look at the samples and always move back a level. Always remember, CLE is very thorough and there's always stuff to learn.

I admit I was never much for using the placement tests, but I've looked through the scope and sequence carefully for math before making a decision, and I sit and work with them until they become accustomed to what's expected, because just different language and formatting is enough to freak some kids out even if they know the math. With this method, I've been completely successful with CLE math placement. So I'm convinced it works for us, and I've had four kids use different things in CLE.

As you start hsing two kids, I would recommend the same approach no matter what you decide to use. Every kid is different but it's very reassuring for them to have you close by walking them through it in the beginning.

Thank you Tiramisu! That totally makes sense. In looking over the scope and sequence, I think we may start with the 400's. There are quite a few skills in those that would be beneficial for us to go over again, and also quite a few that we haven't covered yet. She get a little defensive if she thinks she's doing work that a younger "grade level" should do, so I'll have to tell here that these are not necessarily tied to the grade that you're in lol.

Thank you Tiramisu! That totally makes sense. In looking over the scope and sequence, I think we may start with the 400's. There are quite a few skills in those that would be beneficial for us to go over again, and also quite a few that we haven't covered yet. She get a little defensive if she thinks she's doing work that a younger "grade level" should do, so I'll have to tell here that these are not necessarily tied to the grade that you're in lol.

Since it's a half year program, you could cover 400 and 500 if she was up for it. Not necessary but if it makes her feel better...

Having seen kids make the transition to high school English, I think CLE would prepare kids well, grade level or one lower.

Instead of doing it for only half the year, can it be spread out to only 2-3 times a week for the whole year? And how long does the oral part take and is it daily?

I have shied away from anything like this in favor or just reading a lot etc but I am coming around to using something very structured like this as with my large family I am seeing that I need it. I hope it wouldn't be too much for us to do. We try to get all seat/independent work done for everyone in no more than 2 hours. I have found that I love Rod and staff spelling after years of SWR only getting partially done :/. I think we fit better with workbook independent work(math and LA only) that doesn't take an inordinate amount of time and then lots of family lessons together.

I was also looking at the reading detective cd rom program. Not sure which to do.

This is totally hijacking, but I have the CLE Reading 3 and CLE Reading 4 available free for shipping.

Please be advised that this is the older Sunrise edition, not the newest one, but both sets are complete, new LightUnits, readers, and Teacher's Guides. If interested, please let me know.

Edited by Ewe Mama
  • Like 1

This is totally hijacking, but I have the CLE Reading 3 and CLE Reading 4 available free for shipping.

Please be advised that this is the older Sunrise edition, not the newest one, but both sets are complete, new LightUnits, readers, and Teacher's Guides. If interested, please let me know.

PM'ed you... :001_smile:

Thanks so much everyone! I was really blown away when studying the scope & sequence. We've done literature in the past for reading, but I think we need to switch to something more structured and formal to learn some of those skills we've missed. I went ahead and ordered the 400 series and it should be here in a couple of days. I'm excited to get started with it!

• Like 1

OK I feel like a big dummy asking this, but I am so confused! My understanding from the descriptions on their website was that the quizzes and tests were all included in the Teacher's Guide, but I can't for the life of me find them. The Reading Quiz and Test - Answer Key here https://www.clp.org/products/_se2_reading_401_405_quiz_test_answer_key_3314 says "This Answer Key is required if the Teacher's Guide is not purchased." which made me assume the tests and quizzes were included in the Teacher's Guide, so I didn't buy the Answer Key. So do I also need to purchase this one to get the tests and quizzes?

Thank you!

OK I feel like a big dummy asking this, but I am so confused! My understanding from the descriptions on their website was that the quizzes and tests were all included in the Teacher's Guide, but I can't for the life of me find them. The Reading Quiz and Test - Answer Key here https://www.clp.org/products/_se2_reading_401_405_quiz_test_answer_key_3314 says "This Answer Key is required if the Teacher's Guide is not purchased." which made me assume the tests and quizzes were included in the Teacher's Guide, so I didn't buy the Answer Key. So do I also need to purchase this one to get the tests and quizzes?

Thank you!

I was really confused when I got the math books too. I finally found the light unit tests. They are in each light unit book in the centerfold so they can be removed. The quizzes were in the back of each book. I haven't used the reading though so not sure if it's the same.

I was really confused when I got the math books too. I finally found the light unit tests. They are in each light unit book in the centerfold so they can be removed. The quizzes were in the back of each book. I haven't used the reading though so not sure if it's the same.

Oh.My.Goodness. You have saved my sanity. I thought I was losing it!  :lol: Thank you!

I have a rising 3rd grader (age 8) who is starting CLE LA 2. His reading level is above average and his vocabulary is as well. I ordered CLE Reading 3 for him after looking at the samples but am now wondering if I should bump him back down to level 2 to be consistent? Is this necessary? 

Also, I want to order levels for my rising 6th and 8th graders. However, I think it will be a bit of overkill since we are planning to use LLATL again. Then again, CLE contains concepts that LLATL does not and vice versa AND it seems that the CLE at that age is more of a half year program so could be spread out and done 2-3 days a week and still be on target to finish by the end of the year? The 6th grader is an avid reader (terribly speller, lol) but the rising 8th grader is behind. I feel as if I could put them both in level 6 comfortably but don't want the 8th grader to feel "dumb". FWIW, this has been a challenge for me since the beginning b/c younger sis was always advance in LA while big brother was always behind. Reading came easy to the 6th grader while the 8th grader was a slow to learn reader and still finds it challenging. Any thoughts on placement? I have level 5 that I wanted to do with the 8th grader LAST year but just never got around to implementing it. And I do not want to bump him back too far. I think he needs a challenge to rise to instead of being "babied". Could I use 5 with the 6th grader and a different level with the 8th? Or should I stick them both in 6? So many questions. Thanks for any advice.