Menu

Any Mystery Science users out there? Is it really BFSU-like??

fourisenough

I recently heard about Mystery Science (K-8 online science curriculum) on another thread. It was compared favorably to BFSU. Has anyone used this? Care to share a detailed review?

What I like about it on first glance: it uses inquiry questions (mysteries) as the introduction to a topic; the computer doesn't teach the lesson, the teacher does; it includes high-quality videos, discussion questions, a hands-on activity, and additional reading on the topic all right in the lesson- no need to search out a BrainPop video, look up an 'experiment', or search out age-appropriate explanations of concepts.

I'd love to hear your BTDT thoughts. If anyone is aware of another thread on which it has been discussed, I'd love a link. I can never seem to find anything on here.

There was a thread a while back where a guy (at least claiming to be) from Mystery Science stated that they originally wrote the Mysteries to line up with BFSU lessons.  According to him they've gotten a lot of inspiration from BFSU and are like buddies (or something... if I remember correctly) with the author, but MS has become it's own animal over time as they've grown and added more content.

I did some with a small science group - they complained that they felt like they did nothing but watch videos.

We're they a quiet bunch, in general? I had a hard time cutting my daughter off during the discussion breaks; she had a lot to say!

I was looking at this and asked my daughter if she might be interested (currently in 2nd, homeschooling next year). She told me they did it at her school and it was her FAVORITE thing!

She said she did 2 of the 17. So I am def going to purchase.  Easy win.

Doesn't answer your question, but, it is an enthusiastic endorsement from a science obsessed 8 year old.

• Like 1

I purchases this at the end of May for a balancer in my home school. Since I teach only one area of trivium kind of science (this next year it will be biological science), I though this would help my children to fill in general elementary level content from lots of science areas.  My younger students are using it for fun this summer and they are loving it.

The projects are well planned to actually increase the understanding of the students. If you do not do the projects, all your children will do is just "watch the screen." We pick and choose among the projects. I like it that they are not at all busy work, but well though out experiments that teach scientific method.

We did all the available lessons during the demo we had the past two months. My kids loved it. They loved Doug and the videos. They loved that all the projects worked and thought them all interesting. At the library they repeatedly checked out books on some of the covered topics. Each has brought up something they learned in conversation after the fact. I think it's pretty great!