Menu

Arbor Algebra books full curriculum? If not, what can I add?

DS (9.5) requested that we keep going with the Arbor algebra books, but I've read that they aren't a stand alone algebra program. (Finished JA in the spring, moving on to C&C and Chuckles for 5th grade) 

Any ideas what I should add?  He requested LoF, but I'm not sure what would line up/fill in blanks.  Any other suggestions to challenge him along with an algebra curriculum that's on the "easy" side?

I suppose I should just figure out what the Algebra I scope and sequence is and then figure out what is missing, but I'm hoping someone else already did this. :lol:

Edited by someonestolemyname

I'm wondering if we should just go through the 3 books and then maybe move to AoPS Algebra 1, to get a more in depth study and fill in anything missed. DS is going into grade 5, so we have lots of time for algebra.

That makes a ton of sense to me.  Shannon has used all 3 books.  It's not "complete" for Pre-Algebra, in the sense that PreA books/classes often include geometry & statistics, which it doesn't.

I had Shannon do the DOMA Algebra assessment after essentially finishing all 3 books.  My intuition at that point was that she needed more work on graphing, polynomials, and quadratics.  The DOMA results supported that intuition: She had mastered 8/11 Algebra constructs, but had only partially mastered Graphing & Analyzing Linear Equations, Factoring Polynomials, and Quadratics.  The areas she hadn't mastered in the Polynomials and Quadratics sections had to do with graphing or writing equations from graphs. So I'd say overall the biggest weakness she came out of the program with was an incomplete mastery of graphing equations, in general.

The other weakness she still had after finishing the books is in solving word problems. The books do have a lot of word problems and problem solving situations, but they didn't have all of the standard types of problems that show up in texts/standardized tests, and the process for solving them that was taught didn't allow her to develop a systematic approach that she could apply across problem types.  She was still really struggling with setting up word problems, translating the English into the equations.

So is it complete?  I dunno for sure. The things that weren't fully mastered are all things that get covered in Algebra 2 in more depth.  The word problem thing was a bigger concern, but that was more student-specific, I think, other students might have been fine with the more discovery approach presented. I think Shannon needs more direct instruction (which is why AoPS isn't a good fit for her) and the points where she struggled with the Arbor books was where he tried to lead her to discover something before explicitly teaching it. She's a strong math student, but not "mathy" in the sense that she doesn't have a real intuitive grasp of math or math concepts. Once she gets a good explanation she doesn't struggle, but she doesn't tend to make the intuitive leaps I hear talk of with AoPS.  For a more AoPS-type student, the instruction in Arbor might have been just fine.  

I'm glad we used the books.  I think that your situation - using them with a young student who will follow up with a more in-depth coverage and who has plenty of time - sounds win-win. I can't see a downside there.

Edited by Chrysalis Academy

Kind of a S/O-would the Arbor books be interesting as a review of PA for a kid who has already done AOPS, and likes quirky/fun? I'm really considering making this a consolidation year before starting the AOPS intermediate books, and having something different (especially with the word "crocodile" in the title) might appeal more to DD than "redoing" AOPS.

Well, it's definitely quirky/fun. When you say review of PA - you mean Pre Algebra?  Jousting Armadillos would be a review of Pre Algebra.  Crocodiles & Coconuts and Chuckles would be a review of Algebra 1.  If she's already done AoPS Intro to Algebra, JA might be going back too far.  But she might have fun with Crocodiles and Chuckles.  It wouldn't have occurred to me to follow up AoPS Intro to Algebra with these books, but if your goal is to slow down/consolidate/have fun with Algebra concepts before moving on, it might be just the thing.

• Like 1

Yes, I'd say it's definitely easier - that is, the three Arbor math books are easier than AoPS Intro to Algebra.

And AoPS PreA covers the material - geometry & statistics - that Arbor omits.  So if AoPS is a good fit, and you like it, and that's what you want to use, I'd say the Arbor books aren't going to be what you want. But it is a great option for those students for whom AoPS is not a good fit.  And it can be a good first pass, or second pass, over Algebra content, given that it has a unique scope & sequence and unique presentation style.  For those of us who are essentially prepared to do Algebra 1 twice to make sure it's rock solid, it's a good option - it wouldn't feel repetitive to a kid who has done a standard Algebra 1 text first.  

We're now working through Videotext Algebra, for Algebra 2, but we decided to start at the beginning and go through the early modules quickly to make sure there are no holes.  So far it's been review, but VT does such a nice job of explaining the why behind the math that it's been worth it.  And their systematic approach to solving word problems has been exactly what dd needed to fill that one outstanding Algebra 1 hole.  So for us, well worth it.  But again, I don't have a highly accelerated math kid. 

• Like 1

She's done all the AoPS intro books. I kind of want her to take some time on easier problems and build speed before going on, especially since that has shown to be an area of weakness for the SAT/ACT, but it needs to have something to pull her in. She doesn't like Alumcus. Honestly, what we need is prodigy math for high school algebra and geometry-something fun and motivating.

• Like 1

I think we are going to do the next 2 Arbor books, along with LoF algebra and maybe Zaccarro's RWA.  (I'm looking at Hands on Equations too, but that seems like a lot.) Then I'll see if he needs another pass through, and if so we'll try out AoPS. 

As far as geometry, does he need to do more before he starts high school geometry? Would keys to geometry be a good intro?