Menu

Question about Amsterdam

3 ladybugs

My mom has an opportunity to go with my step father to Amsterdam in February. Step dad has to go there for a week on business. 

The problem is my mother lives in Florida. She lives there for a reason. For her first 40 years she froze in Washington state (she didn't even live in the mountains!). She moved down there so she would not freeze anymore. However for her the thought of going to Amsterdam in February is an option if she is able to wear her fur coat. She doesn't want to wear it though if it is going to get ruined by someone who hates the idea of fur coats.

Would she be safe or seen as odd if she were to wear her fur coat in Amsterdam?

For her this is a make or break thing. If she can't wear her fur coat she doesn't want to go... at least this time. Step dad says this will is an annual thing. 

Thank you for the help!

Oh and please don't turn this thread into discussing the merits of owning a fur coat. Mom got this coat in the early 80's. 

When my parents moved to The Hague, my stepmom bitterly lamented the fact that she could not wear her beloved furs. (I laughed, being young and earnest, and acutely aware of the irony). They lived there 10 years, near Amsterdam. She didn't wear fur.

They moved back to the states a while ago, so I'm not sure if it's still the same.

Edited by Spryte

I have no idea about the fur, but she better take something warm. DH travelled there for work in December a couple of years ago, and he still talks about how freezing cold he was with the wind and the rain and the rain and the wind. 😜 Of, course maybe he was extra sensitive as an AZ native. Usually he's pretty tough, though. I hope your mom can work it out! Such a neat place to visit!

What an exciting opportunity! Amsterdam is a fantastic city.

Why not just suggest she buy a more...contemporary...coat? It's not that cold there; she'll just want to keep the chill and damp out. I would think fur would be a very unusual and ineffective choice.

Eta: I would suggest a long, fleece lined waterproof coat rated to 30 or40 (check out LL Bean, REI, etc), lined rain boots (stylish), hat, infinity scarf, and gloves. And appropriate layers, of course, to keep her Florida self cozy.

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 2

Aside from maybe being a bit odd looking and overkill, she should know it rains/drizzles a lot there, especially in the winter.  Maybe not great for fur?  I second layers with a waterproof jacket.  I don't think anyone will attack her or her coat but she will probably get a lot of stares.

• Like 3

I found these quotes on a travel site, where someone asked a similar question:

"As someone who lives in Amsterdam, may I suggest that you go ahead and wear your fur coat. True, women here do not wear as much genuine fur as say Milan/Vienna, I would attribute it to practicality rather than ethical reasons. It does rain often in Amsterdam, but usually drizzling rather than downpours.  Please no raincoat, that will get people staring. It rains so often here that people realized they would look the same year round if they used a raincoat to shield rain."

and

"Amsterdam is not the dressiest of towns. When I walk around there, I actually dress down, so I don't stick out. If snow is in the forecast, fine. But, as others have said, it's a rainy place, and you will be a matted furry beast, if you don't have an umbrella.

Whatever you wear, enjoy Amsterdam. If you decide to go with the fur, you can buy insurance to cover accidents, etc."

and

"I wouldn't wear a fur coat in Amsterdam because I don't think it's very practical. It's very rainy in Amsterdam. I mean REALLY rainy. You might walk around looking like a wet mink who fell into a bay."

and

"You're very unlikely to have tomatoes thrown at you. You'll may feel uncomfortable from time to time though. You'll look overdressed. And you'll wish you had a proper raincoat."

"Please no raincoat, that will get people staring. It rains so often here that people realized they would look the same year round if they used a raincoat to shield rain."

This one is interesting.  When i visited Amsterdam, lots of people were wearing raincoats (or at least water-resistant jackets).  I did not happen to own one at the time and really wished I did!  

• Like 3

This one is interesting.  When i visited Amsterdam, lots of people were wearing raincoats (or at least water-resistant jackets).  I did not happen to own one at the time and really wished I did!  

Yeah, I didn't really get that either!

• Like 1

The average high in February in Amsterdam is 46 F and the average low is 32 F. It really isn't that cold.

My friend moving back to Holland actually got rid of her kids' winter coats because she knew they wouldn't need them there.

Emily

• Like 1

The average high in February in Amsterdam is 46 F and the average low is 32 F. It really isn't that cold.

My friend moving back to Holland actually got rid of her kids' winter coats because she knew they wouldn't need them there.

Emily

Although to a Floridian that's like sending them to Siberia.  LOL

I remember my grandmother visiting us in CT in the summer one year.  She had lived in Florida for many years.  She needed to put on a sweater when it was 80.

Thanks everyone! My mom did recently (last couple of years) do some parade in Minnesota that was in the winter. I think she used her coat for that. I live in NJ but she doesn't come to visit me in the winter for the most part, though I did get married in a snow storm and she was here for that (nearly 13 years ago). 

I think for my mom it is more about downsizing. She is hoping to have either sold her house by then or be close to it. She wants to move into a smaller condo (perhaps an oversize 1 bedroom, as opposed to her nearly 4 bedroom house that she has now) so I think she wants to be comfortable, and not have to buy a $200 coat just for this trip. I don't blame her as she would never need it down there. She also says that her fur coat is VERY warm for her. I think she said that she got a cheeper version of my winter coat (one of those coats that has the inner warm coat, outer rain coat type thing) but I think she is afraid that it wouldn't be warm enough for her. Hmm...

I will tell her what you have all said and see what she says. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! My mom did recently (last couple of years) do some parade in Minnesota that was in the winter. I think she used her coat for that. I live in NJ but she doesn't come to visit me in the winter for the most part, though I did get married in a snow storm and she was here for that (nearly 13 years ago). 

I think for my mom it is more about downsizing. She is hoping to have either sold her house by then or be close to it. She wants to move into a smaller condo (perhaps an oversize 1 bedroom, as opposed to her nearly 4 bedroom house that she has now) so I think she wants to be comfortable, and not have to buy a $200 coat just for this trip. I don't blame her as she would never need it down there. She also says that her fur coat is VERY warm for her. I think she said that she got a cheeper version of my winter coat (one of those coats that has the inner warm coat, outer rain coat type thing) but I think she is afraid that it wouldn't be warm enough for her. Hmm...

I will tell her what you have all said and see what she says. 

If your father is going to be going annually, it makes sense to invest in a water proof coat that will work better there. Over several years the investment will be worth it. If anything, it makes more sense to downsize and get rid of the fur coat, that she has no use for where she is. 

• Like 1

For this coming trip, she may just want to mention to her female friends who are about her size that she's trying to figure out what to do about a coat for Amsterdam. Lots of Southern women have nice warm coats they have used once or twice that they'd be happy to lend. I was out and out given several coats (some with tags) when I was heading to Russia because other people were looking to get rid of unneeded stuff in their closets.

• Like 2

You might suggest she look for clearance coats at REI Outlet and other outdoor sources. She doesn't need to spend $200.

Also, thin layers make more sense than a bulky coat. She'll get more use out of them as well. I'd focus on rainproofness for outerwear and leave the warmth to the layers.

• Like 1