Menu

What are your favorite meals to take camping?

freelylearned

We just finished VBS--I helped teach a class of 40 3-7 year olds and tragedy after tragedy is striking my community. I can barely think right now. BUT we are going camping next week and I can barely remember what we make besides hot dogs and smores!

I need help. What are your families favorite recipes for camping? What are your easy sides? We like to cook over a fire and we also have a camp stove, hot dog skewers, and a cast iron skillet.

Assuming you're car camping & don't have to worry about hauling heavy foods around: 

-we like the boil in the bag curries from Tasty Bite. They work for us because they have lots of vegan options & there are rice dishes too. 
-canned beans. 
-veggie burgers & veggie hot dogs 
-sandwiches which I grill on the pan 

-baked potatoes

-I bring my own dry pancake mix & then reconstitute it there for pancakes.  
-fruit & veg from the farmer's stands 

• Like 1

Rice-a-Roni. Add some veggies (dried works for backpacking) and it is surprisingly tasty camping, lol. Noodleroni works, too. They're good because they cook fast (great for backpacking when you are rationing stove fuel)

Pasta Salad (boxed, with all the stuff you need included), add a cucumber and tomato if you have a cooler.

Bagels toasted in that fry pan with bottled "I can't believe it's not butter" (which will last at least 10-14 days in moderate temperatures) or real butter if you have a cooler.

• Like 1

Stew cooked and cooled in the fridge a day or two before we go.  While it reheats on the camp stove I bake biscuits or cornbread in my Dutch oven. Prebaked biscuits or cornbread muffins could be warmed with low flame on a camp stove in a pot with a lid.

Taco, fajitas, burritos.  The filling can be precooked or you can cook it on the stove or over the fire. 

Because we have fire bans that can pop up unexpectedly during the season when our state catches on fire, having cold pasta and/or meat salads (ham, chicken) on hand is a good idea.  Deli meats and sliced cheese make a meal very easy.

Oatmeal is easy and you can take a can of apple pie filling to add to it to make it more of treat.

Bacon and eggs.

• Like 1

Hobo dinners.

We just did these last night. They are so easy to make ahead and then pop in the coals. We used cream of chicken soup and topped it with a bunch of different veggies and chicken or hamburger. They turned out really good. There were about 16 of us, so my very organized sister even made a spreadsheet and allowed everyone to check off which ingredients they wanted to individualize them as we were making them. Have fun!

• Like 1

My favorite dessert: Cut a slit in the inside curved edge of a banana, leaving the peel on. Stuff in chocolate chips, wrap it in foil and put on the grill over the fire for a bit till the banana softens up. It's amazing. 

Edited by Peach
  • Like 3

Thank you all sooooo much! I googled easy camping meals hoping to jog my memory and the first few lists had things on the line of grilled Brussel sprouts...which I like but don't fly with my family.

You all jogged my memory about foil dinners and make ahead dinners that we have done, but I couldn't remember for the life of me. And there were a couple intriguing new recipes too.

Thanks redsquirrel :) It has been quite a week. Luckily, my husband is pretty good at making sure we eat out a few times when we camp. I'm so grateful for that.

all of this guy's dutch oven recipes have come out great for us:

http://scouts.lamb-thielen.com/data/papadutch.home.comcast.net/dutch-oven-recipes.htm

He has a recipe for pineapple-apricot chicken.  I've never personally seen pineapple-apricot preserves, but apple jelly or orange marmalade work just as good.  We bring the chicken thighs frozen in a cooler.  This recipe is just plain delicious - it's one of the dishes my kids request when they come home for visits.

DH often makes the cakes for dessert when we are camping - all it takes is a boxed cake mix and a can of peaches or cherries and you are eating a yummy dessert.  DH always makes us oatmeal one morning and Mountain man breakfast on another when we go camping.

• Like 1

I am not much of a fan of camping but if we have good food, I am happy:-)

We all love this recipe...

Beef/Chicken Kebabs

Ingredients

1 1/2 to 2 pounds boneless beef sirloin or chicken

3 cloves garlic, minced

2 teaspoons smoked paprika

1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/3 cup red wine vinegar (balsamic is also good!)

1/2 cup olive oil

Directions

Cut the beef or chicken into 1 1/2 to 1 3/4-inch cubes and place into a large mixing bowl. Set aside.

Combine the garlic, paprika, turmeric, cumin, salt, pepper and red wine vinegar. With the processor running drizzle in the olive oil.

Pour the marinade over the meat and toss to coat. Place in the refrigerator in an airtight container or a sealable plastic bag and allow to marinate for 2 to 4 hours.

Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Thread the meat onto the skewers leaving about 1/2-inch in between the pieces of meat. Place on the grill and cook, with lid lowered, 2 to 3 minutes per side, 8 to 12 minutes in all (8 minutes for rare and 12 for medium).

Remove from the heat to aluminum foil, wrap and allow to rest for 2 to 3 minutes prior to serving.

• Like 1