Menu

Where would I take someone shopping for a shelf for large books?

FloridaLisa

I have a lady in my Sunday school class who really needs a few things. She is very, very, very large-booked. I'm not sure she even wears a shelf right now. I don't think she's had the money in the past few years to even think about a few dresses or clothes for herself, let alone underthings. 

Any suggestions where I could take her to get fitted? Will all stores, like department stores, carry the biggest shelves? 

Thanks, ladies. I knew I could count on you to help with this!

I think Soma may have some- but I'm not sure how large, LARGE is. You might look for a custom lingerie shop in your area. I had to go to one when I was pregnant and no department store carried my size with the band size I needed. The bras will run you higher than average for sure, but they will custom fit and order.

Lane Bryant. Or Fredrick's of Hollywood. Both places do fittings for shelves, and are great with odd sizes if needed. 

Be warned though - both are higher cost. I can normally get a bOOkshelf at Lane Bryant for around $30-$40, maybe less on sale. But I'm wearing ones now that I've worn for close to 10 years, and they are only just now really starting to need replacing. 

• Like 1

I was so all over knowing this since I'm the middle of moving and my bookshelves are not going to last much longer and I'm too cheap to go to ikea, but alas...

I second Nordstrom, which I know about because I was grumpy they had shelves for the OED, but not for pamphlets like mine :(

They'll size you and order whatever they don't have in the store and ship it for free. And pretty bras for $40!

http://m.shop.nordstrom.com/s/portia-uw-plunge-bra/4318223

• Like 4

Do you mean large around the rib cage? Or large cup size? Lane Bryant carries 36-44 band sizes and C to maybe G cups in stores. There's a smaller selection over DDD cup size. Their semi annual sale is going on. Many bras are buy 2, get 1 or 2. Also Google for an in-store coupon. There's usually a $25 off $75 one floating around. Soma doesn't go over 40D I want to say. Nordstrom maybe as well, but you can check that online and filter by in store selection or simply call your local store. If you have a specialty bra shop in your town (you can search by mastectomy bras), they will usually be the best at measuring and the best at having or being able to order unusual sizes.

Edited by zoobie
  • Like 1

Lots of good ideas on where to shop. I just wanted to thank you for helping this woman out. Very often we neglect ourselves over concern and finances for everyone else. She will be blessed.

I hope so. I hope she feels pampered and loved on....I think it's been a long, long time since there's been a girls' shopping trip. Thank you Ottakee!

Thank you all. You've been a great help. I knew I could count on you for direction and I hope it will be a special day for her as we splurge on her and for her. <3