Menu

Apples and Pears-start at first level?

I have been investigating spelling/reading programs for dd11.  She is starting 6th grade this fall.  She has always been homeschooled.  I have been waiting for her to catch on and enjoy reading.  It has not happened and I see her little brother catching up to her in LA.  I feel like this year had NO improvement in LA other than grammar (thanks to Fix It!!) We are mid stream in VT.  I do feel like it helps her stick out the reading sessions much better, but she still reads slowly and HATES it.  Her spelling is very poor despite formal spelling programs-currently, 3 years R&S.  I suspect mild-mod dyslexia.  We are going to finish out VT, then go from there.

I have decided to start Apples and Pears and Dancing Bears Fast Track.  My question:  What would we miss starting in B instead of A?  Should I just have her suffer through A?  Should I get Level B and C because we may move that fast this year?  Any experience with older kids using these materials would be appreciated!

I have been investigating spelling/reading programs for dd11.  She is starting 6th grade this fall.  She has always been homeschooled.  I have been waiting for her to catch on and enjoy reading.  It has not happened and I see her little brother catching up to her in LA.  I feel like this year had NO improvement in LA other than grammar (thanks to Fix It!!) We are mid stream in VT.  I do feel like it helps her stick out the reading sessions much better, but she still reads slowly and HATES it.  Her spelling is very poor despite formal spelling programs-currently, 3 years R&S.  I suspect mild-mod dyslexia.  We are going to finish out VT, then go from there.

I have decided to start Apples and Pears and Dancing Bears Fast Track.  My question:  What would we miss starting in B instead of A?  Should I just have her suffer through A?  Should I get Level B and C because we may move that fast this year?  Any experience with older kids using these materials would be appreciated!

The Sound Foundations website has a way to determine placement--basically, iir, it's giving the mastery tests (free online) until they miss a certain amount. I think my 11 year old placed at the end of B.

The Sound Foundations website has a way to determine placement--basically, iir, it's giving the mastery tests (free online) until they miss a certain amount. I think my 11 year old placed at the end of B.

Thanks.  I did see that.  I was  worried we might miss some important foundations if we skipped straight to B.  She has memorized so many words.  I am afraid we should just start completely over. :(

Edited by rjand6more

Maybe look at what is covered in the first book or so. If she can spell ill, ell, short a words, words with ar and the other patterns pretty consistently , I wouldn't worry about it. If she tests part way through the book, then maybe back up to the beginning of the book.

Maybe look at what is covered in the first book or so. If she can spell ill, ell, short a words, words with ar and the other patterns pretty consistently , I wouldn't worry about it. If she tests part way through the book, then maybe back up to the beginning of the book.

Thank you.  Sounds good.