Menu

Antibiotics messed up my digestive system!

J-rap

I would say yogurt and probiotics. If you're not better in two weeks I would go see a gastroenterologist. Sometimes strong antibiotics can cause other resistant issues and upset the bacteria, yeast and other balances in your GI tract. They can prescribe other medications (ironically) that will help get things back in order.

Thanks.  I figured probiotics would be a good start, but had no idea what kind.  I'll check into this!

I would say yogurt and probiotics. If you're not better in two weeks I would go see a gastroenterologist. Sometimes strong antibiotics can cause other resistant issues and upset the bacteria, yeast and other balances in your GI tract. They can prescribe other medications (ironically) that will help get things back in order.

Thanks -- good to know!

Probiotics (good ones, which will be pricey and in the refrigerated section at WF or some natural type store) and Kefir. My family likes the strawberry kind from TJs.

We live in a small town so I know I can't get refrigerated probiotics here (though I can travel to a town nearby this weekend and get some).  However, we do have Kefir here so I can get started on that!

• Like 1

I'd strongly recommend you take Florastor specifically, in case it's c diff. Hopefully it's not. You can read the symptoms and see if that fits. If it does, you'll want to be aggressive with the probiotics and see a doctor, plus there are additional hygiene steps you'll want to take. I hope it's simple stomach upset and resolves quickly.

Thanks.  It looks like I could get this on Amazon Prime. 

Probiotics yes but you need to make sure they come from a refrigerated source and transported refrigerated as well as stored. (2doses 3x/day) Also look into nutrobiotic grapefruit seed extract(not for those with HBP) or olive leaf extract if you suspect some yeast overgrowth. Three months of both is the running time for repair.

I second Florastor- I try to always take it (as well as have my kids take it) anytime antibiotics are given. I did end up with a C diff infection after my c-section. It took my a little while to realize it as my hormones were whacked out and that often causes havoc with my IBS. But I was lucky and the GI was able to get a handle on it quickly. For that reason I say wait no longer than two weeks. You don't want it taking hold- that's for sure.

I agree with the Florastor recommendation. Oldest ended up with cellulitis recently and was on two different antibiotics. I've been giving Florastor twice a day around the medicines and will continue for a few weeks after. She's also adding yogurt in when she can

• Like 1