Menu

what is upper middle class to you?

mommyoffive

Yeah, variable, I tend to think of it in terms of what it means for people concreteltly.  That's mostly about COL, that is what salaries and such will tend to be geared toward, though for individuals family size will be an issue too.

OUr family income, gross, is just over $80,00, and we are in a similar place to the other people in our neighbourhood, which is a mix of lower middle class/working class families.  We are in some ways on the upper end of that - especially in terms of things like pensions and security, but OTOH have a slightly bigger family than average.  In my mind what characterizes this for me is that we can live in a pleasant safe area, but we don't have a choice of any such area - we are in an older one. (Better IMO but that is beside the point.)  We could not afford on the one hand to go to a slightly newer/more fashionable suburb, nor a house similar to ours closer into the core (or even a smaller one or condo further into the core.)  WE can afford for me to stay home and only earn a small amount, we can't afford private school.

Probably getting up to $100,000 - 200,000 would take us into middle-class land - we'd tip into the place where we couldn't afford the most expensive areas, but we could probably choose from most of the others, depending on how much house we wanted.  Private school might be a possibility, especially if we only had two kids, though at the lower level it might mean other sacrifices.

Over that I'd say people are into upper-middle class.  They can probably choose their neighbourhood, if not their house, budgets for things like food or gifts will be plentiful if they want, they can probably have some expensive hobbies or help out family or whatever, will in all likelihood be secure so long as they aren't actually irresponsible.

• Like 2

In our area, $155,000 seems to put you in the top 20% according to the little calculator linked here for our family of 5.

For a family of 3, $120K seems to do it.

So I guess technically those are the numbers.

I would have estimated at > $250k for a family of four in my area. The calculator linked above put $250k at the top 31%. Even $350k would put family at the top 31%.

Too lazy to try to get a figure for top 20% for my metro for a family of four.

• Like 1

Even in a high COL area, lots of people are making less than what you "need" to make. Median income in my neighborhood is 51k* (and I don't know how they do it. We make more than that, and we're living hand to mouth most months!) so... yeah. And that's in NYC.

* I was looking at the wrong chart, this is the correct number

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 3

$100K would not be upper middle in most of the USA today.  If anywhere.  It would be solidly middle.

I ran $100k in several states (both coasts, middle, north, south) with a family of 7 (my size). It came out between 40-55% in every one. So, I agree.

I'll agree that lifestyle is more important than a number. A few things I can think of:

-you have medical insurance and don't limit your healthcare for cost reasons (copays, deductibles)

-you can afford to eat in a way that is healthy for you (could be organics, CSA baskets, food allergy allowances)

-you have savings that can handle life's little emergencies ($1000 car repair, travel for a sick relative or funeral)

-you have some college savings for your kids (but probably not the whole bill at a private school)

-you have retirement savings

-you have minimal debt--maybe just a mortgage. Student loans/car loans perhaps if you're younger, but gone by 35(?)

-you can take a vacation every year, but some years are cheaper than others

-you can cover the cost of multiple kids in multiple activities

-you have housing that meets your needs and many, but perhaps not all, your wants

-you may still live frugally, budget, and discuss credit card bills because it still takes managing your money carefully to afford this lifestyle

• Like 23

What does upper middle class mean to me?

Middle class means:

It means being able to get medical care without freaking out about how much it might cost.

It means driving safe, reliable, newer vehicles.

It means saving adequately for retirement.

It means being able to save enough to contribute significantly towards your kids' college.

It means buying new shoes for your kids when they need them without having to check the budget.

It means buying the curricula that you want to buy.

It means eating out in restaurants, vacationing for a week a year (stateside, but in a hotel), and picking up theatre or movie tickets a few times a year.

Upper middle class means:

*buying a splurge pair of designer shoes--those Louboutin heels or Penelope Chilvers boots

*having your kids in multiple outside activities

*spending a week in Hawaii in February, and going to London in the fall for vacation

*having a trainer for your weekly sessions at the gym

*having your kids visit with a sports trainer to perfect their pitch/kick/flip

*never mowing your own lawn

*being involved in ultra sports---you're running an ultra marathon (50), your husband is training to climb Kilimanjaro, your college kid is hiking the PCT this summer, and your 5 yo just finished her first triathlon event.  Your au pair (who you brought over so your kids could perfect their Mandarin) is sitting with the teen at home watching the Kardashians because she broke her tibia free climbing in the Alps in France and had to be medivaced home.

• Like 14

How I define it?  Unscientifically, being able to truly afford a much bigger (well-maintained) house than most people in the USA, without giving up the other usual comforts Americans enjoy.  :P

Or, being financially set for the rest of one's expected lifespan.

Or, being able to risk investing in economically significant businesses without jeopardizing comfortable living expenses.

• Like 3

I realized we had crept into upper middle after my oldest two were on their own and my husband's new job came with a 15 or 20% raise last year.  It felt different.  We still have to manage money, but unexpected expenses are no longer as scary.  I can pay bills and still have some left over for savings without feeling stressed out.  I can shop at the farmer's market, which sounds silly but we go through $100 of produce without blinking.  Small changes, but I intuitively feel the difference.

Edited by Barb_
  • Like 7

Just a little bit wealthier than I am. ;)

"Upper" always seems higher up than I am. I think that's true for a lot of people.

No kidding!

We make quite a bit more now than when we first moved here and I still think, "Just a little more....."

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

Ability to afford a nice weeklong vacation each year, kids in some extracurriculars or private school or both. An adequate house and car in good repair. Well insured against non-forseeable events and ability to pay off major repairs and medical bills in a reasonable amount of time. Holiday expenses not a stretch. Comfortable retirment savings. That is upper middle class to me. 

Edited by SamanthaCarter

Middle class means:

It means being able to get medical care without freaking out about how much it might cost.

It means being able to save enough to contribute significantly towards your kids' college.

It means buying new shoes for your kids when they need them without having to check the budget.

It means eating out in restaurants, vacationing for a week a year (stateside, but in a hotel), and picking up theatre or movie tickets a few times a year.

*buying a splurge pair of designer shoes--those Louboutin heels or Penelope Chilvers boots

*spending a week in Hawaii in February, and going to London in the fall for vacation

*being involved in ultra sports---you're running an ultra marathon (50), your husband is training to climb Kilimanjaro, your college kid is hiking the PCT this summer, and your 5 yo just finished her first triathlon event.  Your au pair (who you brought over so your kids could perfect their Mandarin) is sitting with the teen at home watching the Kardashians because she broke her tibia free climbing in the Alps in France and had to be medivaced home.

To me those are upper middle class and upper class in today's reality. 

• Like 10

I'll agree that lifestyle is more important than a number. A few things I can think of:

-you have medical insurance and don't limit your healthcare for cost reasons (copays, deductibles)

-you can afford to eat in a way that is healthy for you (could be organics, CSA baskets, food allergy allowances)

-you have savings that can handle life's little emergencies ($1000 car repair, travel for a sick relative or funeral)

-you have some college savings for your kids (but probably not the whole bill at a private school)

-you have retirement savings

-you have minimal debt--maybe just a mortgage. Student loans/car loans perhaps if you're younger, but gone by 35(?)

-you can take a vacation every year, but some years are cheaper than others

-you can cover the cost of multiple kids in multiple activities

-you have housing that meets your needs and many, but perhaps not all, your wants

-you may still live frugally, budget, and discuss credit card bills because it still takes managing your money carefully to afford this lifestyle

Middle class means:

Yes to both of these things.  (Except for the ultra sports thing - that's a step higher than anything I've seen around here.)  I also don't think it's income based.  DH and I are self-employed so our income fluctuates wildly.  On years where we don't make as much we can still live better than some of our friends who make twice as much because of choices we've made with debt and expenses.  We don't buy cars that cost more than $10k.  We could afford more but we'd rather pay off our house faster or put it into retirement. 

I would also add to the list that upper middle class in my area gives you a choice of school.  Do I send my kid to the overrated public school or do I send to a private school?  Even the public schools around here are pretty expensive, I think every family has to pay to be a member of the PTA and it's a few hundred dollars a year. 

Also COL is huge.  We live pretty well were we are now but could buy a mansion if we moved an hour north of here.  That's not an exaggeration.  Double the house for half the cost an hour away.  If we moved to a HCOL area we could buy a house 1/3 the size of ours for triple the cost. 

Edited by aggieamy

Definitely more than $100k here in the Nashville area to be anything other than solid middle class.  We are pretty close to that but because of the COL it feels like a lot less.  Where as if we lived in the town my mom does (rural Southern Indiana) then $100k would definitely get you into the "upper" middle class.  

ETA: So here in TN I think you would need $150k to 200k to be on the low end..... up to about $500k

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

Not a number, but a lifestyle. Not living paycheck to paycheck and not stressing over a very nice trip to Disneyland but still has to budget.

That is middle-class to me.   In fact most of the descriptions in this thread describe middle class to me.  

For example someone said buying a splurge pair of designer shoes.  That they are a splurge means not Upper Middle.  Upper Middle means designer shoes are the norm and you buy your toddler's shoes at Nordstrom's and they have many.   In fact, with the Upper Middle Class concern for status symbols, all shoes would be designer shoes.  

The best way to find out what class someone is is to ask them and subtract a level.  So, it makes sense that people are describing middle class but labeling at upper class.  

Definitely more than $100k here in the Nashville area to be anything other than solid middle class.  We are pretty close to that but because of the COL it feels like a lot less.  Where as if we lived in the town my mom does (rural Southern Indiana) then $100k would definitely get you into the "upper" middle class.  

ETA: So here in TN I think you would need $150k to 200k to be on the low end..... up to about $500k

Using the calculator provided, 140k in Nashville is "upper" income for a family of four.

In fact, with the Upper Middle Class concern for status symbols, all shoes would be designer shoes.

My aunts who are definately in the upper middle class avoid status symbols. Nike and Toyota would do for them for day to day running around town :)

• Like 5

In fact, with the Upper Middle Class concern for status symbols, all shoes would be designer shoes.  

This is not a defining element of upper middle class. In fact, often if you have real financial security you are far less status-conscious than those with less money. You don't need to prove anything. Or maybe this is more a descriptor for where one lives. I can see it being more important in southern California than it is in rural areas (and rural areas certainly have their share of upper middle class people). In Oregon, designer shoes are not a status symbol. Maybe Nike. Maybe quality outdoor gear. But not something as superficial as designer shoes!

• Like 13

100,000 is more then what most people make in most places. It is the beginning of upper middle class in a lot of areas. It is not upper class but it is upper middle class. If it is hard for people at a upper middle class range then it is much harder for people below that. I think being lower middle class can be very hard because if you were a little lower at least you get health care and other benefits.

Edited by MistyMountain
  • Like 4

For example someone said buying a splurge pair of designer shoes.  That they are a splurge means not Upper Middle.  Upper Middle means designer shoes are the norm and you buy your toddler's shoes at Nordstrom's and they have many.   In fact, with the Upper Middle Class concern for status symbols, all shoes would be designer shoes.  

How do you come up with this kind of prejudice?

There are plenty of people whose incomes put them solidly into upper middle class who don't buy any designer shoes, who shop frugally, drive their cars for more than a decade, and don't give a fig about "status symbols". Because they prefer to spend their money on things that are not "stuff".

Often, you'd have not the slightest idea of the kind of income some people have when you look at how they dress and what cars they drive. Or even what kind of trips they take. 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 17

This is not a defining element of upper middle class. In fact, often if you have real financial security you are far less status-conscious than those with less money. You don't need to prove anything. Or maybe this is more a descriptor for where one lives. I can see it being more important in southern California than it is in rural areas (and rural areas certainly have their share of upper middle class people). In Oregon, designer shoes are not a status symbol. Maybe Nike. Maybe quality outdoor gear. But not something as superficial as designer shoes!

I didn't see it much in SoCal either.  Where I see it most is in NJ folks.  Even down here in NC, the people from the NJ area seem quite concerned about name brands and shoes and handbags.

I don't even care or notice other than I like to have a good quality bag that won't fall apart quickly.  But it doesn't need a name on it.  

• Like 1

Middle class means:

*being involved in ultra sports---you're running an ultra marathon (50), your husband is training to climb Kilimanjaro, your college kid is hiking the PCT this summer, and your 5 yo just finished her first triathlon event. Your au pair (who you brought over so your kids could perfect their Mandarin) is sitting with the teen at home watching the Kardashians because she broke her tibia free climbing in the Alps in France and had to be medivaced home.

I see that bottom list as more of an upper class list rather then an upper middle class list.

• Like 7

What does ultra sports have to do with being upper middle class?

I know plenty of people with low or modest incomes who rock climb, do triathlons and ultra bike races, climb high mountains, or hike long distance.

Those are all much cheaper than having your kid in gymnastics or on the travel soccer team.

The young woman I met on my last backpack who was on an 800 mile solo cross country hike through the Southwestern desert was a nurse.

I do not think that spending $30 per week on oneself (which is what it costs at our local gym) is only attainable for upper middle class people. 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

:iagree:

I know several very comfortable (at least upper middle) ladies who get a blast out of shopping at Goodwill. And years ago I worked with a very well off attorney (managing partner in a large law firm) whose wife worked part-time at a very middle class department store. She said she did it just so she could get a discount. :lol:

• Like 10

There are plenty of people whose incomes put them solidly into upper middle class who don't buy any designer shoes, who shop frugally, drive their cars for more than a decade, and don't give a fig about "status symbols". Because they prefer to spend their money on things that are not "stuff".

Often, you'd have not the slightest idea of the kind of income some people have when you look at how they dress and what cars they drive. Or even what kind of trips they take.

I was going to say this.

A surprising amount of wealthy people are very frugal about "stuff." My MIL, for example. (Now she is too elderly for it to matter either way, but I mean in younger years.) She would use something until it disintegrated. She would wear Walmart shoes if she needed shoes and these looked fine to her. She had a nice brand of car, but drove the same car for 10-15 years at a time. She only owned two different cars in all the years I have known her, since 1990.

Sometimes, almost the opposite is true: sometimes people who really can't well afford it are all decked out in high end brands because they *think* this is what wealthier folks do.

• Like 21

I was going to say this.

A surprising amount of wealthy people are very frugal about "stuff." My MIL, for example. (Now she is too elderly for it to matter either way, but I mean in younger years.) She would use something until it disintegrated. She would wear Walmart shoes if she needed shoes and these looked fine to her. She had a nice brand of car, but drove the same car for 10-15 years at a time. She only owned two different cars in all the years I have known her, since 1990.

Sometimes, almost the opposite is true: sometimes people who really can't well afford it are all decked out in high end brands because they *think* this is what wealthier folks do.

That's funny.  Every person I know who has money and/or is good with money is very frugal. 

And yes, when you are a landlord, you sure learn quickly that not every decked-out person driving a nicer car than mine has any money at all. 

• Like 4

I was just reading in WSJ that Upper Middle Class was growing and they defined it as 100k to 350k for a family of 3.   

How do you define Upper Middle Class?

Based on the COL in my area, $100K is nice and comfortable.  

I would say someone who is Upper Middle Class is someone who routinely shops at "fancy" groceries like Whole Foods.  They often get their hair and nails done at nice salons.  Clothes are all bought new, no need to consignment shop.  Kids can go to a good private school and have plenty of expensive activities like Hockey, competitive gymnastics, etc.  They often take nice, hotel stay type of vacations.  They are the type of people you see on Real Estate shows looking for granite counter tops, matching stainless steel appliances and extra bedrooms.  

Of course, those are just stereotypes that come to my mind when I think of Upper Middle Class, individual mileage may vary.

• Like 3

Yeah we live in an 800 sqft rental apartment and drive 2010 minivan (dinged up with 100k miles) and a 2011 Ford Focus because we love to eat out and travel and fly our grown kids out multiple times a year.  Plus we still own our house back in AZ because we lost so much equity in the market crash that we don't have a down payment big enough to buy here.  So the kids and I drive six months here, six months there.  We sure as heck don't care about buying designer shoes, although I admit to a wicked great buy on a pair of White House/Black Market heels at the Crossroads Exchange the other day LOL  My husband's peers generally spend up to half their considerable income on private educations for their kids.  No designer shoes for them either :)

Based on the COL in my area, $100K is nice and comfortable.  

I would say someone who is Upper Middle Class is someone who routinely shops at "fancy" groceries like Whole Foods.  They often get their hair and nails done at nice salons.  Clothes are all bought new, no need to consignment shop.  Kids can go to a good private school and have plenty of expensive activities like Hockey, competitive gymnastics, etc.  They often take nice, hotel stay type of vacations.  They are the type of people you see on Real Estate shows looking for granite counter tops, matching stainless steel appliances and extra bedrooms.  

Of course, those are just stereotypes that come to my mind when I think of Upper Middle Class, individual mileage may vary.

Looking around at people I know who fit the description, I would say that with a shift in details here and there this is pretty accurate.  In my experience, middle class can do SOME of these things, but not all at once.  I think upper middle is the point where you don't have to make quite as many forced choices?  It's squishy.

• Like 5

100k seems low, even for a family of three.  I'd start upper middle class for a family of three of four at 200k or even 250k.  Would probably go up to 500k.

For me, that means private schools for the kids, nice vacations throughout the year, travel, sleep away camp, etc.   So, for example, here to send two kids to the "good" private school would cost around $50k per year, plus uniforms and expenses.  To be able to afford that, without much sweat, I'd say you need at least 250k per year, possible 300k, as it's coming off after tax money and would not be the only criteria to be upper middle class.

• Like 2

Given our income level, I would since dh's last pay raise, consider us upper middle class for our low COL area. We don't really live like it because we are socking so much away for retirement and paying a lot towards college for our kids.

Anything $100,000 or above is pretty darn upper middle class here. However, I know that there are many locales in which this is a two bedroom not all that nice apartment, very used car, barely saving for retirement salary for a couple with even one or at most two children.

ETA this would still mean using the PS although if one lived near one of the local Lutheran K-8 schools, it is still possible to send a child for $350 a month per year due to the schools discounting tuition because they have some decent endowments. Other private schools are a lot more expensive. It would include nice vacations, a 2400 sq ft home with updates.

Edited by FaithManor
  • Like 1

100k is close to what we're at and it does not feel like upper middle class here. Solidly middle class, absolutely. If we took our income elsewhere, I'm often aware it would feel like a lot more.

I like the definitions that have to do with lifestyle and options - what level of home, what level of income security, what level of labeled clothes and so forth. But, also, it's sort of interesting how, once you're middle class and have some level of disposable income, you can make different choices - mow your own lawn, camp for vacations, but have designer shoes and purses... or clip coupons and skimp on home repairs but go abroad every couple of years... that sort of thing. I feel like middle class is being able to make those sorts of values decisions for your money and being upper middle class is not really having to - being able to do all the things you want.

• Like 11

Upper middle class: 

paying someone to do stuff that needs to be done that you don't want to + doing fun things that cost money + easy access to good health (food, medical) 

But I think a big part of it is: choices. More money, more choices in life. 

• Like 7