Menu

Groovy Kids classes?

• 9 months later...

Bumping this thread to get some more feedback and raise awareness of this interesting option for secular, inter-disciplinary online classes for 11-15 year olds. Did anyone take a class with them this year?

My niece is finishing the Fantastic Beasts class right now. She is in PS and is doing the class for after schooling (although, since she's on PST, she takes the class VERY early before school). It has been such a great experience for her that's she's begging her mom to homeschool her next year. My sister has been impressed with the extensive feedback/detailed notes niece has received on her papers. Niece tells her mom that "homeschool classes are SO much harder than PS!" 

I'm really interested in a couple classes for my DD12 for next school year: Made You Look, In Your Face, and Omnivore's Dilemma. Take a look:

http://www.onlineclassesforgroovykids.org/index.html

• 7 months later...

Bumping this thread to get some more feedback and raise awareness of this interesting option for secular, inter-disciplinary online classes for 11-15 year olds. Did anyone take a class with them this year?

My niece is finishing the Fantastic Beasts class right now. She is in PS and is doing the class for after schooling (although, since she's on PST, she takes the class VERY early before school). It has been such a great experience for her that's she's begging her mom to homeschool her next year. My sister has been impressed with the extensive feedback/detailed notes niece has received on her papers. Niece tells her mom that "homeschool classes are SO much harder than PS!"

I'm really interested in a couple classes for my DD12 for next school year: Made You Look, In Your Face, and Omnivore's Dilemma. Take a look:

http://www.onlineclassesforgroovykids.org/index.html

Hi, did you end up having your child do these classes? I am considering Made You Look for next Feb.

• 3 weeks later...

We've taken Stowaway and the Cacao class.  Our daughter loved both of them.  She liked having the opportunity to speak at each class and present her ideas and opinions.  The weekly assignments were always fun and educational bringing in a wide range of subjects.  

• 2 weeks later...

DD4 who just turned 13 loved the Fantastic Beasts class.  The format is really easy to connect with - the teacher did a careful orientation to the platform before the class began.  None of my older kids had ever taken an on-line class before, so this was new to me.  She enjoyed seeing the other scholars during class time. The text, articles, and videos were totally engaging. The class had traditional assignments and due dates but it seems to have sparked a new level of self-motivation for her which has also increased her confidence. As she dug into the course, she became more motivated to be creative and thorough with the Challenge Missions, which allow for a variety of learning styles.  She's taking another one in the spring, I wish she had more time to do more!  We may re-format her 8th grade next year to take advantage of more of these courses.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, we are sad.  She suggested a few other options, but I think we'll just wait til she's up and running again.  New thread: we bought the WTM grammar download and dd is plowing it under, she loves it.

I wish DD would love something about school. I was hoping this class would help with that. :(