Menu

Beast Academy 5 vs CLE 6

DD started CLE 6 last week. We quickly discovered that many of the 600 series lessons appear to be a review of level 500 (I'm not referring to LightUnit 501 -- we knew that was a review and skipped it completely). DD is bored and clamoring for additional challenge. 

DD's 9 1/2. I took a gander at AOPS Prealgebra, and am concerned we might have some holes (ex: exponents) if we don't complete a level 6 equivalent. I ordered Beast Academy 5A, and we started it in class today. DD loves the fun format and the challenge level of the problems seems excellent. After quickly breezing through the topic list, it seems like it covers much of the new material introduced in CLE 6, enabling us to move from Beast 5B when complete to AOPS Prealgebra. 

Does anyone have any insight on whether BA 5 could be an effective substitute for CLE 6? I did review the scope of each, but always appreciate wisdom from those that have gone before me. : ) 

One additional question. For those of you working with BA 5 -- how many practice pages do you assign per day? Since today was the first lesson and included many pages of reading, we only got through one practice page. I'm not gunning for any particular number, just trying to get a feel for the rhythm and what's working for others. 

Appreciate the insight -- thank you!

Another idea I considered is continuing to plow through CLE 6, skipping lessons that are clearly review, and supplementing once a week or so with BA. I really like the transition to conceptual thinking that BA encourages, however, which is why I'm considering using it as the sole math curriculum this year. 

Why not use the CLE TM to introduce any new concepts from the first half of CLE 6, skip the rest, then have her do the second half of CLE 6.   Do Beast 5 either alongside CLE or 2 days a week.  Or test through CLE 6 until she gets to areas she needs to cover.  Start there.  You could skip a lot of the review problems with CLE, even combine two lessons of new material and only one lesson of select review material, doing CLE 3 days a week and Beast 2 days a week.  See how it goes.