What's with the ads?

Photo
- - - - -

Does this look grade level for a 4th grader?

4 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 Spudater

Spudater

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1005 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 09:55 AM

This is from Lesson 10 W&R where the student finishes the story called "The Sausage." An old woman has gotten three wishes, but when her husband hears she's wasted one on a sausage he gets angry at her. This was written without any help from me.

While they were fighting, they got closer, and closer to the fire and finally they knocked the sausage into the fire! The woman got mad and screamed, "it's all your fault! I wish that sausage were stuck to your nose!" And imedietly the burning sausage was on the tip of the husband's nose. The sausage, wich was burning, set alight the husband's whiskers, and was quit painful. He yelled, and screamed, and ran around setting the house allight. The old woman screamed "stop, stop!" at him, and finally he managed to put out the fire but then his hair caught, and his wife had to douse him with cold water. Then he said "get this sausage off my nose!" And she said "But what about the fourtune? You are always moaning about how poor we are, and you are always complaining about working so hard!" And she crossed her arms and waited for a reply. "I know harriet" said the farmer,"But I have to get this sausage of my nose! I can't go out in publick like this! I'm sorry that I said you were a fool, and please get this of my nose!" He finished. Very well said his wife and she wished.

1). Is this writing at 4th grade level?
2). If you use CAP, do you ever have your student treat the writing they do in the workbook as a rough draft and then help them clean it up for a separate final draft?

Thanks!

#2 EKS

EKS

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13664 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 11:18 AM

I must admit that I never really got the hang of figuring out grade levels for writing.  But if either of my kids in 4th grade had come up with what your daughter wrote here, I would have been pleased.

I don't have any experience with CAP (what is that, anyway?), but I do think it is worthwhile to have the student make a final corrected copy of at least some of their work.  

Edited by EKS, 20 June 2016 - 11:18 AM.

#3 Spudater

Spudater

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1005 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:11 PM

CAP is classical academic press, the publisher of writing & rhetoric.

Yeah, I've seen grade level standards online, but they seem to be written in teacherese...it'd be nice to see some samples to compare! I know the most important question is whether she's progressing, but...she just does everything so fast, it'd be nice to know whether I can just let it go or if I need to dig my heels in and make her go slower, work harder, and weather the inevitable storm of protest and tears that would follow.

It does kind of bother me to leave it like that when I know that with just a few minutes of feedback from me and the time it'd take her to rewrite it it could look so much better. I don't know if W&R covers the editing process later on or if I should just go ahead and do it on my own with her.

#4 freelylearned

freelylearned

Hive Mind Level 3 Worker: Honeymaking Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 196 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:39 PM

I think that sample is on target for 4th grade. I use W&R and I didn't go back and work on revising and editing every story. If my son was having fun writing and putting out his best effort I would let it be, errors and all, initially. If I noticed a consistent error in grammar or mechanics, such as not using commas in quotes, I'd plan a mini lesson targeted on learning that specific skill before the next assignment. I would also encourage him to read his story out loud to me and later to his dad. Usually in that process, he'd notice an error or two and fix it on his own.

Every few writing assignments, I would let him pick a story and then we would work on revising and editing together. He'd also type his final draft, add a title page, cover, and add illustrations. I believe it takes some of the joy out of writing to have to revise and edit everything.

W&R adds in more proofreading and revision exercises in book 5, I believe, I'm not sure if that is the exact book, because I'm still waiting on my books 5&6 to arrive on my doorstep.
  • Spudater likes this

#5 Ellie

Ellie

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30891 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 10:55 AM

This is from Lesson 10 W&R where the student finishes the story called "The Sausage." An old woman has gotten three wishes, but when her husband hears she's wasted one on a sausage he gets angry at her. This was written without any help from me.

While they were fighting, they got closer, and closer to the fire and finally they knocked the sausage into the fire! The woman got mad and screamed, "it's all your fault! I wish that sausage were stuck to your nose!" And imedietly the burning sausage was on the tip of the husband's nose. The sausage, wich was burning, set alight the husband's whiskers, and was quit painful. He yelled, and screamed, and ran around setting the house allight. The old woman screamed "stop, stop!" at him, and finally he managed to put out the fire but then his hair caught, and his wife had to douse him with cold water. Then he said "get this sausage off my nose!" And she said "But what about the fourtune? You are always moaning about how poor we are, and you are always complaining about working so hard!" And she crossed her arms and waited for a reply. "I know harriet" said the farmer,"But I have to get this sausage of my nose! I can't go out in publick like this! I'm sorry that I said you were a fool, and please get this of my nose!" He finished. Very well said his wife and she wished.

1). Is this writing at 4th grade level?
2). If you use CAP, do you ever have your student treat the writing they do in the workbook as a rough draft and then help them clean it up for a separate final draft?

Thanks!

I don't know about grade level, but if my 9yo child were to write something like that, I would be pleased. :-)

And I don't use CAP, but I do think that occasionally it would be good to do some cleanup, although I'm not sure it's important for children younger than, oh, 10 or 11yo.

• Spudater likes this