Menu

Second Guessing Latin for Next Year

I posted about this over the winter, but now I'm second guessing myself (and can't locate my old post).

DD has completed Lively Latin 1, most of Lively Latin 2 and both Minimus books. We took a year off to shore up her French (she's about 8 chapters into Breaking the Barrier 1 book after taking an online class for in the fall semester.)

She wants to take Latin back up in the fall, but we don't have five hours a week to spend on it this year, really more like three.

I don't think she'll do any high school Latin.

Is there any harm in having her do First Form this year? What would you recommend for a single 3-year pass through Latin during Logic Stage?

ETA- I found my old post most recommended we don't do First Form. Wondering why I bought it?

Edited by elladarcy

We're going with Visual Latin, which is a 2 year program.  After completion, he recommends several Latin readers to continue with, so you could spend a 3rd year on those.  Each lesson has 3 videos, so you could do a video plus it's accompanying worksheet on each day, along with the extra readings & memory work.  There are also some Quizlet options she could do on the off days for extra review.

I looked at Visual Latin once. I can't remember why we didn't go with it- maybe not enough Grammar. I know we've mostly done Classical vs. Ecclesiastical, but I think that is mostly a pronunciation thing. (FF is Ecclesiastical, but we wouldn't use any audio/ video resources.) I'll take another look at Visual Latin.

I wouldn't do First Form because she should be past that level. If you really wanted to do MP Latin, she could probably jump into Second Form.

I'm not sure what I would do, but probably something more enjoyable than MP's Latin.

What does she want to get out of her Latin studies?

She says it makes other languages easier to do, and would be helpful with things that interest her like epidemiology and biomedical engineering.

I also only make her do grammar one day a week if she's doing a grammar-heavy Latin course. Her French is also pretty grammar heavy.

She wants to learn German in High School. She's on track to take AP French 8th grade or Freshman year.

I think I had an idea of transitioning her into MP's cores, which is why I was looking at the Forms... Since I've since concluded that isn't going to work, I'm not married to the MP Latin.

Latin for the New Millennium?

How about just a Latin/ Greek root program or MCT's Caesar's English?Wouldn't be as time consuming and should still meet her goals.

Have you used Latin for the New Millennium? I'm kind of thinking of just starting out Wheelock's and taking three years maybe with the Udemy videos someone posted.

I think she's beyond Caesar's English. ETA- She wouldn't be beyond CE 2 (I just looked at a list), but I don't think roots are going to help her with the structure and grammar. It would be a pretty tough sell.

Edited by elladarcy

Nope. We've always used MP because it fits our goals & grammar-first approach. It isn't fun, though, and the Forms Series takes forever to do. (For various reasons, eldest jettisoned from the Forms series midway through Third Form & is doing Henle 1-in-a-year now.) 

Have you used Latin for the New Millennium? I'm kind of thinking of just starting out Wheelock's and taking three years maybe with the Udemy videos someone posted.

I think she's beyond Caesar's English. ETA- She wouldn't be beyond CE 2 (I just looked at a list), but I don't think roots are going to help her with the structure and grammar. It would be a pretty tough sell.

I was going to suggest Wheelock's as an option, but wasn't sure she would want to wade through all that grammar from the beginning again.

• Like 1

Nope. We've always used MP because it fits our goals & grammar-first approach. It isn't fun, though, and the Forms Series takes forever to do. (For various reasons, eldest jettisoned from the Forms series midway through Third Form & is doing Henle 1-in-a-year now.) 

I was going to suggest Wheelock's as an option, but wasn't sure she would want to wade through all that grammar from the beginning again.

Thanks for helping me think this through! I do think Wheelock's is a valid option for her. I found this schedule: Wheelock's Schedule

I like the inclusion of the English Grammar for Latin Students, I'll plug that into her grammar day. We may try this at a slower pace. If it doesn't work, well, I've got First Form on the shelf.

I suggest Latin Book One and Latin Book Two. These are OOP books that are available cheaply on Amazon and also free, with answers, on their respective Yahoo Group lists. Latin Book One covers what modern high school Latin classes cover in 1 1/2-2 years. Latin Book Two begins with a brief review of what was covered in LBO and moves into historical Latin readings, beginning with somewhat simplified versions and progressing to Caesar in the original form. You can easily get three high school credits out of Latin Book One and Book Two. My dd and I spend about 30-40 minutes per day working on Latin. If your dd plans to spend three years on Latin in the logic stage, she could come very close to finishing both books, possibly even finishing both books, on 30 minutes a day.

My dd started Latin Book One in 7th grade after completing Getting Started with Latin, and she has handled the books just fine. With your dd's background in Latin, she should be able to get through LBO relatively quickly.

I highly recommend these books. They have made Latin thoroughly enjoyable for us, they are rigorous without being overwhelming, and you can't beat the price!!

• Like 3

I suggest Latin Book One and Latin Book Two. These are OOP books that are available cheaply on Amazon and also free, with answers, on their respective Yahoo Group lists. Latin Book One covers what modern high school Latin classes cover in 1 1/2-2 years. Latin Book Two begins with a brief review of what was covered in LBO and moves into historical Latin readings, beginning with somewhat simplified versions and progressing to Caesar in the original form. You can easily get three high school credits out of Latin Book One and Book Two. My dd and I spend about 30-40 minutes per day working on Latin. If your dd plans to spend three years on Latin in the logic stage, she could come very close to finishing both books, possibly even finishing both books, on 30 minutes a day.

My dd started Latin Book One in 7th grade after completing Getting Started with Latin, and she has handled the books just fine. With your dd's background in Latin, she should be able to get through LBO relatively quickly.

I highly recommend these books. They have made Latin thoroughly enjoyable for us, they are rigorous without being overwhelming, and you can't beat the price!!

A couple of questions for you regarding Latin Book One. First, how long does it usually take to be approved for the Yahoo group? I submitted a request on Saturday (I'm possibly a little impatient, but I've also sent requests to Yahoo groups that don't seem to have an active moderator any longer, so was never approved.) I haven't seen the book yet, but like the author's other books out on Google.

Second, I think I saw in a previous post that your daughter took the NLE exam. What level? Did you prep with anything beyond the practice tests from the website? I figure if we take the exams, the option still exists to move into an online course if dd decides she wants to do Latin in high school rather than German. I could see adding in MP's NLE prep book once a week to something like the LBO.

How do to the Latin Book One and Latin Book Two compare in level (and content) with Latin Via Ovid? Several posts mention it as a follow up. Have you looked at Ovid?

Thanks!

A couple of questions for you regarding Latin Book One. First, how long does it usually take to be approved for the Yahoo group? I submitted a request on Saturday (I'm possibly a little impatient, but I've also sent requests to Yahoo groups that don't seem to have an active moderator any longer, so was never approved.) I haven't seen the book yet, but like the author's other books out on Google.

Second, I think I saw in a previous post that your daughter took the NLE exam. What level? Did you prep with anything beyond the practice tests from the website? I figure if we take the exams, the option still exists to move into an online course if dd decides she wants to do Latin in high school rather than German. I could see adding in MP's NLE prep book once a week to something like the LBO.

How do to the Latin Book One and Latin Book Two compare in level (and content) with Latin Via Ovid? Several posts mention it as a follow up. Have you looked at Ovid?

Thanks!

I'm not sure how long it takes to be approved. It's been several years since I applied, and I don't remember any more how long it took. The group page says 1 member was added in the last 7 days, so it appears they are still adding members.

Yes, my dd did take the NLE. She took the Latin 2 Exam and got a silver medal. She was one question away from receiving a gold medal, and she was in the top 10% of scores according to the score report they sent me. We had not gotten far into Latin Book Two when it was time to register for the test.

I think that Latin Book Two is equivalent to Latin Via Ovid. I own LVO and was planning to use it after LBT (fwiw, I own Latin Book Three, as well) simply because it is a college-level course and my dd is interested in reading the stories from Metamorphoses in Latin. I don't think it would really be an extension of knowledge after LBT so much as extra reading fluency practice, and, frankly, my dd is not interested in reading the full text of the Gallic Wars or political speeches, etc. Now, however, my dd is saying she wants to take either Latin or Italian or Japanese as DE next year, so I don't really know what I will do after LBT.

Wayne State will send you for free an ugly and poorly formatted pdf file of the teacher book for LVO, and there is also a practice book you can purchase. I got the LVO text and practice book for around $10 at Half-Price Books.

Wayne State will send you for free an ugly and poorly formatted pdf file of the teacher book for LVO, and there is also a practice book you can purchase. I got the LVO text and practice book for around $10 at Half-Price Books.

It sounds like LBO to Ovid might be a good path for us. Did you go through the process to get the pdf? Are there answers in it? I read somewhere on the boards that there aren't. I'm not sure we would need them with the practice book.

Thank-you!

There are answers to some exercises, but not all. Yes, I got the pdf. I just called, and the woman emailed it to me within 5 minutes.

And I forgot to mention that the only study materials we used for the NLE were the syllabus (to make sure we'd covered everything) and the practice tests. DD tok 5 practice tests; she scored 100% on three of them and missed one on another and two on the other. Her worst performance was on the test that counted.  :closedeyes:

The practice tests are actual tests from the past. They were formatted exactly the same as the NLE 2 exam she took

Edited by TaraTheLiberator
  • Like 1

I got a hold of a Latin Book One today (at the library) and stopped at the crazy book store (no Latin Book One, but some really old Latin for Americans). I did pick up a Wheelock's Grammar (I have Wheelock's on the shelf already), and an old 1954 "Lively Latin" by John Colby.  I think I'll use the Grammar to supplement the Latin Book One once a week since the exercises are short.

I compared the scope of the Wheelock's and the Latin Book One. LBO seems to cover all of Wheelocks except five- six chapters out of forty towards the end of the book on Jussive and Subjunctive. Possibly those are covered in Latin Book Two? Either way, we could jump into Wheelock's after Latin Book One if dc wanted to continue with Latin in high school. Either way, LBO would be a solid year and a half of high school Latin if you assume that Wheelock's is two. I didn't compare it with any high school texts to see if Jussive and Subjunctive are covered in the second year.

• Like 1

some really old Latin for Americans

That's really funny, because the reason I chose to use Latin Book One is because I LOVED Latin for Americans, which was my dad's high school Latin text. He gave it to me several years ago, and I thought it was far superior to any of the other Latin programs I looked at. The one problem was that the only copy of the answer key I could find was at Columbia Teacher's College, and for some reason they wouldn't give it to me.

When I saw Latin Book One, I knew it was just like LFA, so my decision was made. :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, you linked back to this thread, but the cover looks like this. There are also .pdf's at the Yahoo Group. The lady who runs the group keeps it open at the request of her late husband, who passed in 2014.

Everything you need is there. I have a library copy right now, because everything school related seems high on Amazon, but I went through several sections, and he included most of illustrations.

Follow up for us. I let dd select her Latin (out of LB1, FF, or Wheelocks), and she picked LB1- but First Form was a close second. She also asked to do a vocab program. Oh well.

• Like 1