Menu

Fun article on gifted intensity, and Hamilton creator

My DS is musically "intense,"  I've not run across a lot of articles on this topic, and Lin Manuel-Miranda is definitely his kindred spirit. :) 

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/creative-synthesis/201606/lin-manuel-mirandas-gifted-intensity

My DS9 is obsessed with Hamilton.  It's coming to our city sometime next year and we are going to try really hard to get him there.

• Like 1

I want to see Hamilton really bad after watching the 60 minutes episode on him. My son has that intensity but I don't know how to channel it towards learning. If he wants to learn it we are off to the races. If he's bored he is day dreaming and getting no where. It can be expensive to keep up with. Lots of play outside digging is the only thing we've come up with to get it out of his system. Recently, I've had it with the dirt coming in and laundry so we are on edge around here to find something else for him to do.

I love how it said in the article that not all gifteds will have public achievements like Hamilton. Some just don't aspire to do that but it doesn't make them anyless gifted.

• Like 3

I want to see Hamilton really bad after watching the 60 minutes episode on him. My son has that intensity but I don't know how to channel it towards learning. If he wants to learn it we are off to the races. If he's bored he is day dreaming and getting no where. It can be expensive to keep up with. Lots of play outside digging is the only thing we've come up with to get it out of his system. Recently, I've had it with the dirt coming in and laundry so we are on edge around here to find something else for him to do.

I love how it said in the article that not all gifteds will have public achievements like Hamilton. Some just don't aspire to do that but it doesn't make them anyless gifted.

It is exhausting, and expensive!

I liked that part too, it helps to frame the intensity in a way that doesn't create so much pressure.

• Like 2

So true. So very true. Sometimes it feels like going down the rabbit hole or coming across the holy grail when I happen upon a brilliantly gifted individual doing incredible work in a dark, dusty corner. Often, somewhere further down the road, someone else gets the glory, but the quietly driven person is such that he or she doesn't even mind -- or perhaps even notice. To me, that's a gift of quite another kind. One that is no less significant and perhaps even more rare.

• Like 3