Menu

College of the Redwoods Pre-Algebra

Has anyone used this for Pre-Algebra?

https://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/science/pre-algebra

Could you tell me about it? Is it pretty standard or advanced?

My rising 8th grader is moving into CLE 7..... But just curious about Redwoods and if it might be a better alternative for CLE.

Will you do CLE 7 & 8 or just 7? I'm struggling to make a math decision regarding my rising 8th grade. He's not particularly maths and is working in R&S 6, we didn't start it until after Christmas.

Good question.

I've been searching here lately to help figure out what we will do. Dd started CLE 6 this past winter..... Just now wrapping it up and will jump into CLE 7. If we get to 8, great! If not, we'll move to algebra if I feel she is ready and go from there. Dd is good at math when she digs in and does it! I've been trying to boost confidence in her math skills to help her feel more positive about math in general. It's slow going, but I've seen improvement since starting CLE.

I've read how some go straight from CLE 7 to Algebra 1 with no problems.... we will probably go that route and just sprinkle in CLE 8 along the way! Though, I am concerned that it won't be enough pre-algebra to get under her belt before high school.

Edited by Murrayshire
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

My son took this class, "College of the Redwoods" PreAlgebra, when he was 12.

I DO NOT recommend this text.

When this son was 9, he won the city-wide elementary homeschool math contest.  His brother, who is now 9, just today, took second place in the city wide (not just homeschool) grade 4 math contest.

He had never had any big issues with math until this book.

This is a book for people in college who are going NO FURTHER in math but need a college level math credit to satisfy the requirements of whatever program they are in.  This is the opinion of my children's father, who has a PhD in Mathematics.

I am only a lowly Honors Math / Electrical Engineering undergrad........but .... I agree with him.  :-)  This book seemed very confusing.

Beyond which, if you do not answer the questions in "their" overly complicated way, you get it "wrong".

We love Math Mammoth  http://www.mathmammoth.com/ and AOPS  http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/

I have also heard good things about "Singapore Math".

Hope this helps someone!

Stephanie

• 4 weeks later...

We're currently using it and don't like it. We previously used Saxon, and my daughter had no problems with math (not that she loves it, but she did fine). This year she's struggled a bit. I bought a core package from Memoria Press, and they use COTR for Pre-Algebra, so I just went with it.  Wish I'd stuck with Saxon. But at this point, we'll muddle on through.