Menu

Review Concepts

Hi I am fairly new to this group. I have a 8yo DS that I have been homeschooling since K. I was wondering what other homeschoolers do for review? This applies to almost all subjects but I'll use counting coins as an example. We will work on it until he's got it, then move onto the next topic. When I come back to counting coins (let's say a week later), I find out that he's forgotten it and I have to reteach it. I know I have to set up some kind of review system and am thinking about ways to do that.

My son does ABA and this is called "maintenance" for him.

Like maintaining skills.

There are a lot of ways to do it.

One is to keep a maintenance box (aka a review box) and do review. You can have daily review, weekly review, and monthly review.

If they are 3 boxes, you can go through the daily review box every day, 1/5 of the weekly review box every week, and 1/20 or so of the monthly review every day.

Number two is more important though, probably.

For coins: start using coins in your everyday life when possible, and with other things when possible.

So, use coins for practicing addition and subtraction.

Play store with coins.

Practice skip counting with coins.

Pay for chores with coins.

Make up a reason to go to the store and buy gum or a small piece of candy, and have your child pay with coins.

Save change and then count it periodically, and when a certain amount is reached, but something.

Anything like this is bringing back coins, reviewing coins, teaching more about coins, etc.

This kind of thing can really be where kids will remember better.

So just think about any time you can add in coins to something you are doing anyway (like adding or subtracting, counting, skip counting, using them as manipulatives and taking the chance to label them and remind about them).

Then another possibility, is maybe you are doing too many coins at the same time. If you are doing something age-appropriate for his level ---- don't worry about this.

But for my son, we did pennies by themselves. Then we added dimes along with skip counting by 10.

We are introducing names of other coins, but only really talking about a nickel being 5 cents.

This is appropriate for his current math level.

But it is also something where sometimes kids can retain if you focus on a smaller amount first and then expand.

So those are some ideas!

Don't feel bad, money concepts are hard for a lot of kids, it can take a lot of exposure.

I hear a lot that with parents using credit cards and checks, a lot of natural learning opportunities have been lost, too!

Edit: for the maintenance boxes, they are actual boxes with little Manila folders. They go from front to back. You could pull out a folder saying "coins" with a few coins in it. You get a sense after a while, but you keep it in "daily review" for a while, then move it to weekly. You could make little hash marks on the back of the folder with the date, if you wanted. But then it is remembered a while, so you move it to weekly. If you come back to it in the weekly box and it is forgotten, you can move it back to daily review.

If something is just not sticking, you might need to look for more ways to work on it, bc maybe the concept is really not understood as well as it needs to be. It may just be something that is going to need more practice over time, and different ways so that it stays interesting.

Bc you don't want to do things just the same way, it can lead to memorizing answers. Or to being able to do things one way, but not a slightly different way.

But for coins at least -- there are a lot of pretty natural everyday ways to practice, and then there are a lot of options for tying it in to math when you do math.

You could do math facts practice with pennies, nickels, and dimes sometimes, for example. Or drop a few coins, and the one who counts them correctly gets to keep them.

A lot of games like that, that you can play with dice or cards, you could switch up and play with coins sometimes. So it could be coins, but you could also count it as practicing math facts. That is the kind of thing where you can build it into math pretty easily, I think.

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 1

Separately, you might look at using a spiral program.

Also, you might find that this is acceptable with a spiral program, bc there is built-in review in the program.

Because, there is forgetting like everything you learned is completely forgotten and you are starting over from scratch, and then there is forgetting like you need a quick reminder.

There is also a time when you might put a chart on the wall showing a penny and saying 1 cent, for kids to look at.

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 1