Menu

Since Discovery of Deduction by CAP is an intro to formal logic, has anyone used Traditional Logic 2 AFTER DoD?

I haven't compared the ToC, yet; though I don't know if I could tell that way, so hopefully some ono can advise here!

Secondly, if a family would like both the langage-based logic AND the Math-based logic in high school, would this seqence be sensible?

First:  Fallacy Det/Thinking Toolbox

Then: AofA OR Introductory Logic by Nance

Next: Intermediate Logic by Nance

Next: Discovery of Deduction OR  Traditional Logic 1

Next: Traditional Logic 2 (even if they used DoD)

Next: Argument Builder OR Classical Rhetoric

Thanks,

Rachel

Edited by historymatters

We were going to do Traditional Logic 1 after standard proof-based geometry, but my DS said Traditional Logic 1 was far simpler and didn't add anything logic-wise to what he learned in geometry, so we discontinued after a while and just went through some terminology and left it at that.  He really liked that kind of stuff, so I don't think it was trying to get out of something (and it was replaced anyhow).  It would be nice if there were something complementary.  We did, however, go through Art of Argument and DS didn't think that was redundant.  YMMV.

My dd just finished Fallacy Det; my son went through most of it in Debate class

He is "naturally" logical, my dd is not; he's also VERY verbal, hates writing; she loves writing

I'd like to have him go through AoA this coming year (I already have it); it's just whether I should throw in the IL by Nance for the exposure to modern math logic, then back to traditional by using TL 1 and 2; or DoD followed by TL 2 after that

I guess having look at the samples might help