Menu

Favorite Android Apps for PreK & Elementary?

I'm looking ahead to summer road trips here. I want to load up a bunch of apps on my Android tablet for road trips/hotel room entertainment. I'm willing to pay for good apps. I'd prefer if they don't need internet access to use. They can be educational or just fun games.

Thanks!

ETA: Some of my kids' current favorites are Starfall ABC, various Lego apps (especially Creator Island), Dragonbox, Lightbox.

Edited by silver too

Dragonbox Numbers (for the preschool crowd...and any other Dragonbox offerings you think your kids are old enough to enjoy Elements and Algebra 5+)

Pettson's Inventions

Toca Builders

Toca Lab

Beck and Bo (more for preschool/Kindy)

some of the Dr. Panda games are fun, too

Enjoy! :)

• Like 1

To second what Segway said, Toca Boca, Sago Mini and Dr. Panda are like the kings of the preschool play apps imo. Anything by them will be loved by the PreK/K crowd pretty much. Some are more super open ended with a lot of opportunity for creation than others. Speaking of that, I can't pick out one specifically but there are some art apps that would be good too. There's also the Pepi series of preschool apps and my kids particularly like the My PlayHome apps also. (These are all play apps, but have exploratory/imaginative play value imo, and useful for road trips).

More educationally, Starfall has some apps for Android with ABC stuff, and Teach Your Monster to Read has an android app that's free (but may need internet, not sure?). PBS apps are always a few bucks each and rarely to never go on sale, but I don't think you can go horribly wrong with them.

I don't know what to recommend for older elementary kids, but would love to find out what's out there..

• Like 1

Adding to the above lists:

Rail Maze

Read Me Stories: Learn to Read (basically a surprisingly good selection of free kids e-books)

Slice Fractions

Stack the States (and Stack the States 2)

Tetris

Block Puzzle

BrainPOP (app is free, and there's a free weekly - I think - video.  We get a free membership through our umbrella charter)

Chess

Math Slicer

Kids Telling Time

Maze!

Monkey Word School Adventure

Numberjacks

Thinkrolls

Wonster Words

Lightbot

(these are android apps through Amazon since we have Kindle Fires)

• Like 1

I'll take a look at the apps suggested so far. With a quick look, I couldn't find "Teach Your Monster to Read" or "Beck and Bo" in the Google Play store. Are those iOS only?

Oh, sorry! We have a kindle. It might just be at the amazon app store?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=beck+and+bo&sprefix=beck+and+%2Caps%2C184

I think the "Teach Your Monster to Read" might be one of those free-download-trial-pay-to-unlock-the-rest-of-the-game. (But, that could be another one, I'm thinking of...)

Oh, sorry! We have a kindle. It might just be at the amazon app store?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=beck+and+bo&sprefix=beck+and+%2Caps%2C184

I think the "Teach Your Monster to Read" might be one of those free-download-trial-pay-to-unlock-the-rest-of-the-game. (But, that could be another one, I'm thinking of...)

No problem! I can do Amazon apps on my Android as well. :)

• 1 year later...

My 3 yo loves Kids Nature Hunt on Google play store. It's an 8 game bundle, first 4 games free. It's a new app on the market and there's no ads. My daughter was always clicking on ads which is not useful. She loves all things bugs so she was thrilled to play it. She gets to explore colors, numbers, shapes and play with caterpillars, ladybugs, and reptiles. Music is pretty relaxing so it doesn't drive me nuts, lol. The pill bug game is really fun! I actually find myself playing it sometimes, lol.

Edited by AQZhomeschool

Google Play Store

Inventioneers

Kids Logic Memory Puzzles by Espace Publishing (They have several themes, we have the cars and trucks paid version)

Traffic Hour

Todo Math

Where's My Water

Plants vs Zombies (Not everyone's cup of tea but we enjoy it, even our 5yo boy)

Ice Cream by Magma Mobile

Scratch Jr by Scratch Foundation (make sure it's the one by Scratch Foundation and not one of the spin offs made by other people)

Amazon App Store

Phonics: Fun On Farm by 22Learn (if you have one still learning to read)