Menu

Hueber Planetino and Spielierisch Deutsch questions

Lfwfv

For those that have used these programs, do they cover how to read (ie. German phonics)? Is it assumed the child is speaking German and reading/writing somewhat before they begin Planetino? I am finding the Hueber website and even the help from customer service pretty confusing. I can't get a clear sense of the scope and sequence.

Any German versions of Phonics Pathways? ha, might be a long shot...

Also, if you used these materials, what ages were your kids when you started/finished, and what did you move onto next?

I am just embarking on a home-made German curriculum (speaking it throughout our day, working on memorizing specific vocab/phrases/songs/numbers etc., reading German books etc.) with my almost-four-year-old, but I'm trying to figure out what we could use to help with reading/writing/grammar once he's a little older (maybe 1st-2nd grade?). He is already starting to read and write in English, so by first grade, I think he should have a decent handle on that in the English realm, and might be ready to add German in without confusion.

Thanks!

Tanya

You learn 'how to read' in one language, not in every language again.

In our case dd learned to read in Dutch.

Planetino and Spielerisch Deutsch Lernen, expect a German speaking teacher, as I understood you are.

As I understood both serie of books, it is used for immigrant / refugee children who don't speak German and has to learn German to be able to attend regular classes.

As Dutch has some similarities to German we look different to German textbooks I suppose

• Like 1

Thank you both! I guess it makes sense that you only need to learn the mechanics of reading in one language. I guess I hadn't considered that... And then, I guess, once ds is readily fluidly and easily in English, I could just teach him the different sounds the letters in German make and then decode from there. At least German is so much easier to read than English! ha!

Yes, I do speak German. I think I will likely just focus on speaking, singing, and reading out loud to him for the next while and see where we end up in the next year or two with that plan of attack. Maybe I'll even purchase the first level of either Spielerisch or Planetino to look at it (the samples online aren't enough to give me a clear overview), and then I can try to move us in the direction of being ready to start using one of those methods sometime between 1st-3rd grade.

I appreciate your comments, thank you!

Tanya

• Like 1

Yes, I would not worry about reading if the child can read in English.  German is extremely phonetic, so once you learn that a few letters have a slightly different pronunciation, you are fine.  :-)  

The three Planetino books are supposed to cover all of A1, but in a slower, younger-child pace compared to the Planet series.  From there, you can move into the Planet series book 2, which is A2, then book 3, which is B1 I believe.  

• Like 1

The first Planetino book can be started at 4. German reading and spelling is easier than english. So I get german style spelling for english work initially for my kid who is not a natural speller. My natural speller easily switch from one language to another for spelling.

• 2 months later...

My kids primarily learned to read in English, but almost simultaneously in German and Spanish.  They were certainly able to read in all of them by 6 (at least decoding the words fluently with proper accent in each language - they didn't have much vocabulary in the two non-native languages yet).

They attended German Saturday School; in 1st grade they used the Kunterbunt Fibel by Klett; it came with a phoneme chart - I just told them the correct German pronunciation of each phoneme, and they already knew how to blend.  Didn't really have to spend any extra effort than that.  German really is much more regular and easier to decode than English.  If you can figure out English, German is a breeze.