Menu

Deodorant and Anti-perspirant help

Tita Gidge

I've only worn deodorant when pregnancy hormones kicked in OR for something like a wedding or job interview. Very few and far between. So much so that when I need it I have to make a trip to buy it. Or call someone to borrow it. Yes, I'm that friend LOL. I've typically gone with that weird crystal rock thing or whatever natural brand was cheapest. I don't like a lot of chemicals on my body and haven't ever used antiperspirant.

My hormones are acting wonky again. I can be sitting in a freezing movie theater and still be sweating like a sinner in church. Our summer social calendar is booked. I don't want to be a walking ad for people who are glad they use Dial, and wished I did.

I'm looking for recommendations for a deodorant I can use daily until my hormones settle. The more natural, the better. The crystal rock thing seemed hit or miss. I'd like reliable LOL.

I'm also interested in an antiperspirant recommendation for the few outdoor events we have. The more home-remedy, the better, but it's enough of an issue that I'll go with the heavy-hitting chemical-infused wonder-worker for the few events we have coming up.

What works for you? What didn't?

I went anti-perspirent free for a few years.  I used homemade deodorant for a number of years.  I feel like I tried them all.  In the end, I always had to reapply with way more frequency then I wanted or I would be quite ripe by the end of the day.  I went back to the store bought chemical laden anti-perspirent..

Not what you are looking for, I know.  I do have one friend that swears by funk butter.  It did nothing for me.

Edited by kewb

I went anti-perspirent free for a few years.  I used homemade deodorant for a number of years.  I feel like I tried them all.  In the end, I always had to reapply with way more frequency then I wanted or I would be quite ripe by the end of the day.  I went back to the store bought chemical laden anti-perspirent..

Not what you are looking for, I know.  I do have one friend that swears by funk butter.  It did nothing for me.

No, it's not what I want to hear :lol: but my hormones have declared war and I do wonder if it's time to bring in the big, bad boys to take those sweat glands down.

Can't hurt to try funk butter. I've seen it before but worried about the baking soda being too harsh on such a delicate area. But desperate times call for desperate measures!

Thank you.

Secret Clinical Strength is what works for me.  I live in the south and would still sweat and smell ripe with reg. deoderant.  I tried a homemade concoction which didn't work, and then Toms of Maine and it gave me a super itchy rash that lasted a long time.  Found Secret Clinical Strength and its been awesome--I use just a tiny smear and it works for 24 hours.  Probably giving myself cancer, but at least I'm not smelly.  Occasionally, I even use it on the bottoms of my feet when I wear flats without socks in the summer.

• Like 2

Stop eating onions and garlic.

I'm Asian, so that's not happening. I'd rather sweat than starve! :coolgleamA:

But it's not an odor I'm struggling with, it is the visible sweating.

And even that is culturally acceptable where I'm from, which is definitely not the case here in the U.S.

signed,

Just Tryin' to Fit In

Secret Clinical Strength is what works for me.  I live in the south and would still sweat and smell ripe with reg. deoderant.  I tried a homemade concoction which didn't work, and then Toms of Maine and it gave me a super itchy rash that lasted a long time.  Found Secret Clinical Strength and its been awesome--I use just a tiny smear and it works for 24 hours.  Probably giving myself cancer, but at least I'm not smelly.  Occasionally, I even use it on the bottoms of my feet when I wear flats without socks in the summer.

I live in the South, too.

The name "clinical strength" scares me a bit, but that kind of long-lasting coverage is ideal when we're off at the kids' tournaments. As it is I have to bring a few changes of shirts, which is very inconvenient. And walking around the fields with the sweat marks is not desirable!  This sounds like an easy fix for that.

Thank you.

• Like 1

FYI, the weird crystal one has the exact same active ingredient as the "chemical" ones, lol. Aluminum :)

If it's sweating and not smell that is the issue you need an antiperspirant. I randomly use secret or suave. 

If it is the visibly wet armpits of the shirt that are the issue, wear tank tops :)  I do, so no one sees how much I sweat :)

• Like 1

deodorant will not stop sweating. Nothing "natural" will stop sweating.   (though there's nothing really unnatural about aluminum...) 

if you want to get rid of sweat & sweat stains, you can laser your pits (yes, there is laser treatment for sweating) or  you have to use chemical antiperspirants

The clinical strength antiperspirants with 20 % aluminum something something (there are various varieties of aluminum compounds which are effective antiperspirants)  Mitchum makes an unscented on that's called Clinical and has that strength. 

Or you can use Certain Dri clinical. http://www.certaindri.com/  These products are different. Some of them - like the 12% aluminum chloride - you apply them at night on a set regimen. After a loading dose, some people need to use them just once a week. 

Certain Dri is vegan & not tested on animals. 

• Like 3

FYI, the weird crystal one has the exact same active ingredient as the "chemical" ones, lol. Aluminum :)

If it's sweating and not smell that is the issue you need an antiperspirant. I randomly use secret or suave. 

If it is the visibly wet armpits of the shirt that are the issue, wear tank tops :)  I do, so no one sees how much I sweat :)

I used to wear a lot of sleeveless tops, but the past year I've been developing another lovely physical issue - skin tags! in my pits!!  I heard it was from rubbing so I've been wearing sleeved shirts that help reduce that friction.

I'm a giant wimp. I'm afraid that by shaving I'll nick one and bleed out in my shower. Or just pass out, knock my head, and be found dead next time a kid came in to poop. When my doctor said how she could burn or freeze them off I shuddered so hard I slipped off the table. W-I-M-P.

And my kids are jerks enough that they'd put that on my tombstone:

Here lies Ma,

She was the best,

With skin tags she was

Amply blessed.

Every shower

she'd attack;

to no avail,

the tags fought back.

We miss you, Ma,

this is the pits.

But we do not miss

your sweaty bits.

• Like 10

deodorant will not stop sweating. Nothing "natural" will stop sweating.   (though there's nothing really unnatural about aluminum...) 

if you want to get rid of sweat & sweat stains, you can laser your pits (yes, there is laser treatment for sweating) or  you have to use chemical antiperspirants

The clinical strength antiperspirants with 20 % aluminum something something (there are various varieties of aluminum compounds which are effective antiperspirants)  Mitchum makes an unscented on that's called Clinical and has that strength. 

Or you can use Certain Dri clinical. http://www.certaindri.com/  These products are different. Some of them - like the 12% aluminum chloride - you apply them at night on a set regimen. After a loading dose, some people need to use them just once a week. 

That's interesting about Certain Dri.

I'm glad you included the bit about animal testing. I prefer that in a company.

• Like 2

Don't they also use Botox for reducing sweating?

Although, not sure if it's really ideal to stop sweating.

I'm hoping to reign in the hormones before it gets to this point!

They offered me botox for migraines, but as a frequent viewer of Real Housewives (every series, please don't judge!) I just cannot bring myself there LOL.

• Like 1

I wonder if using deodorant/antiperspirant now will affect me later. Like, ... will my body grow used to it and adapt? I want to use it very infrequently, but see a need to use something for most of this summer.

I guess I wonder if it's like shampooing. I only wash my hair once a week or so. I know if I added an extra wash each week, my hair would adjust and grow oilier until it depended on those two weekly washes. I don't know if this makes sense.

I'm hoping to reign in the hormones before it gets to this point!

They offered me botox for migraines, but as a frequent viewer of Real Housewives (every series, please don't judge!) I just cannot bring myself there LOL.

Yeah it seems odd, but with migraines I might try it.  I had migraines as a kid and grew out of them as an adult.  They were pretty terrible and frequent. 

I wonder if using deodorant/antiperspirant now will affect me later. Like, ... will my body grow used to it and adapt? I want to use it very infrequently, but see a need to use something for most of this summer.

I guess I wonder if it's like shampooing. I only wash my hair once a week or so. I know if I added an extra wash each week, my hair would adjust and grow oilier until it depended on those two weekly washes. I don't know if this makes sense.

I don't see why that would be.

I don't notice that with hair.  I wash it once or twice a week because if I wash it more it will be too dry.  I can't imagine it getting oilier if I washed it more.

• Like 1

That's interesting about Certain Dri.

I'm glad you included the bit about animal testing. I prefer that in a company.

just FYI more, Certain Dri makes several different products. The roll on liquid is the overnight one. It can make you itch at first. It's really best to apply just before you go to sleep & hope you drift off before it starts. It's not terrible, just a bit annoying & it stops after a while. It really works well if you can get past the small itch at first. 

Mitchum btw is accidentally vegan - they don't use animal ingredients in their products & they don't test. BUT their parent company is Revlon & does both. Some people won't buy products if the $ eventually goes into an undesirable parent company (like The Body Shop got bought out by L'Oreal which does animal test as well...) Others make a different choice. It's an ongoing issue people in the animal world debate ...

• Like 1

just FYI more, Certain Dri makes several different products. The roll on liquid is the overnight one. It can make you itch at first. It's really best to apply just before you go to sleep & hope you drift off before it starts. It's not terrible, just a bit annoying & it stops after a while. It really works well if you can get past the small itch at first. 

Mitchum btw is accidentally vegan - they don't use animal ingredients in their products & they don't test. BUT their parent company is Revlon & does both. Some people won't buy products if the $ eventually goes into an undesirable parent company (like The Body Shop got bought out by L'Oreal which does animal test as well...) Others make a different choice. It's an ongoing issue people in the animal world debate ...

I'm glad you warned me about the itch. I'd have never thought to apply it at night, and it sounds like that's the best way to get used to it!

It's so hard to shop by ethics these days because so many small companies are being absorbed by the larger ones. I dated a guy whose dad was as VP at L'Oréal and used to shower us with samples. It was hard to let those go, but that was about the time I became more aware of these issues.

Skin tags can be taken care of with tea tree oil. Soak a cotton ball in water. Gently squeeze out excess water. Add 2-3 drops of tea tree oil. Apply 2x a day. After a couple of weeks they should be gone.

:huh: Really?

I have tea tree oil, I drop some in my shampoo.

I'm going to try this. Because burning and freezing were never going to happen LOL.

I've seen that "As Seen on TV" remedy for them but I was too cheap to shell out $15 to try it.

Thank you! :hurray:

I used to wear a lot of sleeveless tops, but the past year I've been developing another lovely physical issue - skin tags! in my pits!!  I heard it was from rubbing so I've been wearing sleeved shirts that help reduce that friction.

I'm a giant wimp. I'm afraid that by shaving I'll nick one and bleed out in my shower. Or just pass out, knock my head, and be found dead next time a kid came in to poop. When my doctor said how she could burn or freeze them off I shuddered so hard I slipped off the table. W-I-M-P.

And my kids are jerks enough that they'd put that on my tombstone:

Here lies Ma,

She was the best,

With skin tags she was

Amply blessed.

Every shower

she'd attack;

to no avail,

the tags fought back.

We miss you, Ma,

this is the pits.

But we do not miss

your sweaty bits.

You could try underarm dress sheilds. 

• Like 1

:huh: Really?

I have tea tree oil, I drop some in my shampoo.

I'm going to try this. Because burning and freezing were never going to happen LOL.

I've seen that "As Seen on TV" remedy for them but I was too cheap to shell out $15 to try it.

Thank you! :hurray:

It has worked for my son who gets them on his neck.

Secret Clinical Strength is what works for me.  I live in the south and would still sweat and smell ripe with reg. deoderant.  .

I had to switch to Secret Clinical Strength when the regular antiperspirant was no longer working well enough during a hormonal time of life (perimenopause).  It is expensive though. I more recently tried a non-scented men's antiperspirant and it is working great and much cheaper.  Now, maybe my hormones have settled down and any regular product would work but I'm sticking with the men's products.

• Like 1

I switched to Certain Dri because it was the only vegan / cruelty-free antiperspirant I could find that had good reviews. :) I just use the A.M. formula in the morning. It has a nice, very light, powdery scent. It also doesn't give me a rash (even Almay, which is supposedly hypoallergenic, did).

My young daughter likes Keep It Kind Fresh Kidz roll-on, but it's just a deodorant, not an antiperspirant. 

• Like 1

I'm Asian, so that's not happening. I'd rather sweat than starve! :coolgleamA:

But it's not an odor I'm struggling with, it is the visible sweating.

And even that is culturally acceptable where I'm from, which is definitely not the case here in the U.S.

signed,

Just Tryin' to Fit In

I know there are a lot of people that don't sweat or at least they look like they just stepped out of a air conditioned fashion magazine.  I am NOT one of those people.  Sweat is always visible on me.  I walk around the ball park all sweaty. 

Skin tags can be taken care of with tea tree oil. Soak a cotton ball in water. Gently squeeze out excess water. Add 2-3 drops of tea tree oil. Apply 2x a day. After a couple of weeks they should be gone.

I bought a brand new nail clipper, washed it with soap and water and then doused it with alcohol. Then I just snipped those puppies off right at the base. It only bled a little bit and they never came back.

I also have the migraines from odors problem. We (family) have Crystal Roll-on, rather than rock form. Also have used Milk of Magnesia, pretty good but messy, and coconut oil, different sort of messy.

Probably no one but you is focussing intently on your skin tags. Anyway, skin tags happen.

I have had a skin cancer so I also use shirts that have sleeves, but mesh under the arms to allow cooling, which might be another option for you. Though, in recent heat we have been having I have gone with sleeveless and to stay out of sun, bec. sleeveless is still cooler than mesh and long sleeves.

I use Milk of Magnesia. It has to be plain where the only ingredients are the mag and water. Store brand usually fits those parameters. I haven't used it through a summer yet but it works really well. 

I had some on hand and tried it.

It felt sticky, maybe I used too much? Do you re-apply throughout the day?

I didn't have anywhere to go, unfortunately, so I'm going to try it tomorrow when I run errands.

Two of you suggested this, so there must be something to it!

I had some on hand and tried it.

It felt sticky, maybe I used too much? Do you re-apply throughout the day?

I didn't have anywhere to go, unfortunately, so I'm going to try it tomorrow when I run errands.

Two of you suggested this, so there must be something to it!

I use a cotton pad and dab it on. It's never felt sticky to me. I don't use a ton. Just make sure there are no other additives.

I have not found "normal" deodorant that works for me. I have tried them all and I smell terrible after a few hours. I don't reapply.

• Like 1

I love this product that I saw on Shark Tank called Piperwai. I am usually skeptical about natural deodorants but this stuff is awesome.

http://www.piperwai.com/

I watch this show, but I'm way behind. I don't think I've seen this episode.

Thank you for the heads up because it looks like something I can try.

I use charcoal as an air freshener, so this product's formula makes sense to me.

So you've used it with success, it sounds like? How long does a tin of this last?

I bought a brand new nail clipper, washed it with soap and water and then doused it with alcohol. Then I just snipped those puppies off right at the base. It only bled a little bit and they never came back.

:w00t: I'm trying to un-read this!! I just got a scary visual and now my armpits have phantom pains :w00t:

Oh man, I'm glad people like you exist. I'm just not one of them. Tonight my daughter ripped out her own loose tooth while I ran screaming around the living room trying to block out the view and sound of it (she only got part of it out the first time and the sound of the root breaking wigged me right out). I'm a giant wimp and just slightly dramatic about these things.

• Like 1

I also have the migraines from odors problem. We (family) have Crystal Roll-on, rather than rock form. Also have used Milk of Magnesia, pretty good but messy, and coconut oil, different sort of messy. Probably no one but you is focussing intently on your skin tags. Anyway, skin tags happen. I have had a skin cancer so I also use shirts that have sleeves, but mesh under the arms to allow cooling, which might be another option for you. Though, in recent heat we have been having I have gone with sleeveless and to stay out of sun, bec. sleeveless is still cooler than mesh and long sleeves.

I found minimal success with plain coconut oil, but it left some discoloration stains on some of my shirts.

I'm so vain, aren't I? Like anyone is looking at my armpits?? I think you're right and I wish I could get over myself already. I'm trying!

Shirts with mesh underarms - never seen these, would I find some at a big box sports store, or ...?

I use a cotton pad and dab it on. It's never felt sticky to me. I don't use a ton. Just make sure there are no other additives.

I have not found "normal" deodorant that works for me. I have tried them all and I smell terrible after a few hours. I don't reapply.

Duh, it didn't occur to me to use a cotton pad. I poured some into my hand and slapped it right on. No wonder it felt sticky.

Sounds like your application method doesn't require a lot of product; that's good, especially since you don't even re-apply.

I checked and mine was a cherry flavored, so it did have additives. I'll grab a regular bottle when I'm out tomorrow and try again.

Thanks again for the tip! I think an added benefit is that the magnesium may help my RLS.  I'm taking Natural Calm magnesium but any little bit extra can't hurt, even if it's absorbed through the armpits!

• Like 1

I found minimal success with plain coconut oil, but it left some discoloration stains on some of my shirts.

I'm so vain, aren't I? Like anyone is looking at my armpits?? I think you're right and I wish I could get over myself already. I'm trying!

Shirts with mesh underarms - never seen these, would I find some at a big box sports store, or ...?

Sun Precautions company which carries a line called Solumbra ( I think the name of the fabric) for sun protection  --try googling. They have a catalog.

• Like 1

I also use Secret Clinical strength.  It will actually work for a couple days if you're not sweating a bunch.

I read an article that said people apply antiperspirants wrong.  You should apply it at least 6 or more hours before you need it, the night before is fine, and you can even shower and not reapply it.  What you are trying to achieve with an antiperspirant is to block sweat pores.... this takes 1. time and 2. dryness for that to happen.  So if you're wet (just showered) or will be wet (sweat) near the time of application it won't work as well.

ETA: For skin tags I go to my mom.  She ties a string around them (it freakin hurts when she jerks the string tight) and they fall off after a couple days.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

Two additional thoughts:

I wear print shirts when I'm going to be drenched in sweat.  Sweat shows because the fabric turns darker when it is wet.  If you have a pattern with lots of light and dark areas (random is good), it's hard to see what is sweat and what is just pattern.  It makes it SO much less noticeable (and no one is looking that hard to begin with.)  

I stopped using anti-persp a long time ago and just use the crystal stuff for deod.  On important occasions, I use dh's stronger stuff and I have a warning.  Somehow anti-persp stop the sweat from coming out, but the "waste" still builds up.  So if I use it for a couple of days and then switch back to just light deod, I stink something awful for the next few days.  I don't have any evidence, but I swear the stuff ferments in the pores until it can get out.  So if you stink for a couple of days after the switch, it will go away.

Two additional thoughts:

I wear print shirts when I'm going to be drenched in sweat.  Sweat shows because the fabric turns darker when it is wet.  If you have a pattern with lots of light and dark areas (random is good), it's hard to see what is sweat and what is just pattern.  It makes it SO much less noticeable (and no one is looking that hard to begin with.)  

I stopped using anti-persp a long time ago and just use the crystal stuff for deod.  On important occasions, I use dh's stronger stuff and I have a warning.  Somehow anti-persp stop the sweat from coming out, but the "waste" still builds up.  So if I use it for a couple of days and then switch back to just light deod, I stink something awful for the next few days.  I don't have any evidence, but I swear the stuff ferments in the pores until it can get out.  So if you stink for a couple of days after the switch, it will go away.

The crystal is also aluminum, which is the active ingredient in antiperspirant. Just a different form of aluminum. 

I watch this show, but I'm way behind. I don't think I've seen this episode.

Thank you for the heads up because it looks like something I can try.

I use charcoal as an air freshener, so this product's formula makes sense to me.

So you've used it with success, it sounds like? How long does a tin of this last?

I don't sweat a ton but I do live where we are over 100 degrees right now and I've had great success with it.

I bought it maybe a month ago and still have more than half left.....it only takes a little bit each day. Only once did I reapply late in the day.

I really liked that there was no staining on my clothes with it.

• Like 1

The crystal is also aluminum, which is the active ingredient in antiperspirant. Just a different form of aluminum.

Interesting. I wonder if the aluminum compound in the Crystal rock might only work as a deodorant. It in no way stops sweating ( at least in me); it just cuts down the odor (and only does that so-so). It does only say deodorant on the label.

I don't use it because I thought it was aluminum free. I use it because I developed allergies to pretty much everything else. I'm guessing it's because it doesn't have as many ingredients as other options. (I'm hoping that I'm not jinxing myself to develop an allergy to it, too.)

Two additional thoughts:

This is smart advice.  I have mostly solid color tee-shirts and the wetness is as obvious as the nose on my face. I never would have considered wearing a pattern, but it makes perfect sense. I'm going to have to go shopping for a few new tops.

And thank you for the heads up - this is something I wondered about up thread, whether habitual use would lead to a(nother) detoxification phase when I stopped again. It's important to know so I can time things right!

I also use Secret Clinical strength.  It will actually work for a couple days if you're not sweating a bunch.

I read an article that said people apply antiperspirants wrong.  You should apply it at least 6 or more hours before you need it, the night before is fine, and you can even shower and not reapply it.  What you are trying to achieve with an antiperspirant is to block sweat pores.... this takes 1. time and 2. dryness for that to happen.  So if you're wet (just showered) or will be wet (sweat) near the time of application it won't work as well.

ETA: For skin tags I go to my mom.  She ties a string around them (it freakin hurts when she jerks the string tight) and they fall off after a couple days.

:w00t: You let your mom pull at those with a string???!!  You people amaze me. My armpits hurt just reading this, I can't even imagine. But aren't moms the best?? We're grown women but there's still not much mama can't fix. I love that.

I have never heard about the six hour rule. I'm glad you said that because even if I end up using something like Secret or Mitchum, I'd have applied it straight out of the shower and right before walking out the door. In my head I'd be minimizing how long it'd be on my body. But I guess that's just wasteful because it'd be on my body and completely ineffective.

I am blown away by the knowledge on this board and the things I learn here!