Menu

classes at GHF?

My ds took the Advance Computer Concepts course with Ms Whitson, the teacher who teaches the Story of Science.  My son loved the class and I loved that she had assignments that were tailored according to ability and that she had wonderful office hours in which anyone in class can meet online and she helps them with any programming project.  I really wanted to have the kids take the Story of Science Newton at the Center class as I was planning to teach it to them anyway, but the combined cost for two kids... ugh. 

My dd took a mythology class with a different teacher who is no longer there.  There was no homework until the end, so it was hard to want to keep up with the readings. She was glad when it ended.  

Ms. Whitson also gives frequent feedback to parents.  And offered one on one meeting times any time the student needed extra help.  I was very happy with her as a teacher.  

• Like 2

My ds took the Advance Computer Concepts course with Ms Whitson, the teacher who teaches the Story of Science.  My son loved the class and I loved that she had assignments that were tailored according to ability and that she had wonderful office hours in which anyone in class can meet online and she helps them with any programming project.  I really wanted to have the kids take the Story of Science Newton at the Center class as I was planning to teach it to them anyway, but the combined cost for two kids... ugh. 

My dd took a mythology class with a different teacher who is no longer there.  There was no homework until the end, so it was hard to want to keep up with the readings. She was glad when it ended.  

Ms. Whitson also gives frequent feedback to parents.  And offered one on one meeting times any time the student needed extra help.  I was very happy with her as a teacher.  

Thank you!  I hear you about the cost, which is why I'm hesitant.

She sounds like a great teacher so I think we will take the plunge.

Edited by Runningmom80

My ds has taken classes from both Ms. Whitson and Ms. Stieger (the mythology teacher you mentioned). He enjoyed both, but our experience of the myth class was completely different. It was absolutely his favorite subject, and he ended up taking another myth class from her the next semester. The class inspired him to go above and beyond the assigned readings and to do extra work beyond the assigned homework. I appreciated that Ms. Stieger approached the class almost like a college course with a printed syllabus at the beginning of the semester, a final project due at the end, and clear expectations. Afterwards she followed up with a written student evaluation.

The Advanced Computer Science class was not his favorite, but he did learn a great deal, and he is excited about taking the Story of Science class this fall with Ms. Whitson.

• Like 1

My ds has taken classes from both Ms. Whitson and Ms. Stieger (the mythology teacher you mentioned). He enjoyed both, but our experience of the myth class was completely different. It was absolutely his favorite subject, and he ended up taking another myth class from her the next semester. The class inspired him to go above and beyond the assigned readings and to do extra work beyond the assigned homework. I appreciated that Ms. Stieger approached the class almost like a college course with a printed syllabus at the beginning of the semester, a final project due at the end, and clear expectations. Afterwards she followed up with a written student evaluation.

The Advanced Computer Science class was not his favorite, but he did learn a great deal, and he is excited about taking the Story of Science class this fall with Ms. Whitson.

Awesome! Thank you for the review.

I think the hardest part is not knowing exactly how the class runs during the class period.  I really should have listened to a few of the class recordings.  But I have a feeling that my dd's problem is that she thought she would be interested in Native American Mythology and then just...wasn't. :-)  She loves Greek mythology but I don't think it was offered or didn't fit our schedule if it was.  So she just kind of attended all year without a ton of enthusiasm, and since there was nothing forcing her to keep up with the reading (which she didn't enjoy in the first place) then she just didn't.  

My ds loves anything computer programming, finished the book the first week of class, and enjoyed all the homework assignments.  And he really enjoyed office hours and said he felt so lucky to be able to have a mentor help him who is so experienced. (Since I have absolutely no computer experience). 

That being said, I practically begged him to take the next computer class and he just said eh.  So we are taking a semester off from classes and we'll revisit them in the spring.  

• Like 2

We took the Aristotle Leads the Way class last year from Ms. Whitson and my daughter really enjoyed it. I definitely think it was worth the money (and I've signed up for Newton Leads the Way this year). The one thing I would say is that she focuses on the history really heavily and my daughter wanted more science to go with it. Apparently a few kids felt that way after the first semester and she really went out of her way to include more hands on assignments after that. I was surprised at the number of kids who didn't do the assignments. Most of them were pretty fun and my daughter really learned a lot. She's looking forward to taking the next class. Also, you can type or use the microphone during class. Most kids type and my daughter became really frustrated with her typing abilities because she wanted to be the first to answer the questions but wasn't the most skilled keyboardist (and too shy to use the microphone). I've never seen my daughter competitive before, so that was kind of a fun experience for me.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

@runningmom80

Did you have an update on how you liked the classes over there? I was wondering about the age ranges. Are they pretty firm on those?

We ended up doing a G3 class instead, and that was great!

We are considering a GHF class again for the fall, but we haven't decided yet.

I have a friend locally who did it. She didn't like it because she felt like it was too unstructured/free form. I think she prefers a more structured class/program so I think it was more a style issue if that makes sense.

ETA: She is into languages for her daughter. For example, she has her daughter (Caucasian) attending a Chinese school on the weekend plus she has a Chinese tutor during the week. I won't send my own son (we are American born Chinese) to that school because it would be too intense for him, and the style of instruction is very Chinese (think strict and bordering on harsh/rigid) as they are taught be overseas born Chinese teachers. I share this because it probably gives you an idea of why it wasn't a good fit for my friend.

Edited by calbear

• 1 month later...

I seriously thought about doing the Number Theory class, but I think more than 3 online classes this year would be too much. I would love to hear feedback on that. I always hear a lot about Athena's and G3....so I've been sticking to those. 

• 3 months later...

Bumping to see if anyone has feedback on these classes. I am eyeing one of the math classes there. There are several being offered for the spring.
Mathematical Explorations: Talking Back to Statistics

Mathematical Explorations: Geometry I

Mathematical Explorations: Special Topics

In particular, I am looking for reviews about Lisa Fontaine Rainen who is the instructor for these classes.