Menu

Exercise thread: June

Laurie4b

It looks like there isn't a new thread up yet, so here's one for June!

A little funny:I made a typo when I was first typing the title and it came out "Exercuse thread." Haha. Sometimes that's what I'm fighting: exercuses. Tonight, I really didn't want to do anything, but finally made myself get dressed and head on over to the gym. Still have my abs work to do but did all the other strength training. No cardio today, though. 

• Like 5

Well, I've been exercising but not posting. But, a new month and a new chance to join, right?

So, today I did 30 mins of dance aerobics and 30 mins of Tracy Anderson.  I just finished the floor work and I am drenched.  Anyway, I that is what I usually do, so I get sick of posting the same thing. I hope I don't bore you

I didn't get 10,000 steps today, but I don't have time for an evening walk to get them in.  Oh well.

• Like 5

Well, I walked this morning because my shins were sore, but by this evening they felt better so I did Week 3 Day 3 of the Couch to 10k app.  Then I walked for another 20 minutes.  Now my shins are sore again :(

But, I have logged over 16,000 steps today :)

• Like 6

I thought I'd share this article/video of a 10 minute dynamic warm-up:

https://www.girlsgonestrong.com/blog/injury-prevention/dynamic-warm-up-a-10-minute-pre-workout-routine-for-women/

I had a rough time last week due to muscle cramps, but I'm looking forward to a better week this week!  Planning on steady-state cardio this afternoon.  

Also, I had to share this silly little victory moment that I had.  I was mindlessly scratching a minor itch on my upper arm, when I suddenly realized, holy cow there's an actual biceps muscle in there!  :lol:  It's still very small, but it's at least noticeably present now, and that's a huge improvement!  :D

• Like 5

back in town and I survived the crazy weekend.  I got well over 10,000  steps on saturday, but I didn't have a designated workout time. Sunday was mostly in the car so not much of anything at all.

Today I did 30 mins dance cardio (so jumping up and down in time to bad music, lol) and I did 30 mins of Tracy Anderson floor work. 

• Like 5

I did 40 minutes of steady cardio yesterday afternoon as planned, and went to the gym with my husband this morning for weights.  We did legs, arms, and shoulders.

I'm also doing a one-mile walk every morning, and again every evening.  That's pretty much just become a habit now that I don't think of as part of my "exercise routine" per se, but just something very enjoyable that I look forward to!

• Like 5

DH and I have been taking time to go for a several mile walk in the evenings if time allows. Some days it does, and other days it doesn't.

Today I got in 15 mins dance cardio then a little over 30 mins of mat work, so arms with and without weights, body weight work, planks, lower body etc. DS1 has a 30 min music lesson at 7:30pm, so while he has that I will go for a brisk 30 min walk. I will go up a big hill for 15 mins, then turn around and walk down a big hill for 15 mins, lol.  Unless, of course, it pours out, in which case I will be sitting on my butt

• Like 3

so I did get that 30 min walk in last night.

Today I did an entire hour of tracy anderson.  Good lord, at least she had the good grace to look exhausted when the class was over.  That made me feel better, lol.

I am VERY low on steps today, and I should go for a walk, but it's already 9:30 so I doubt it's going to happen

• Like 3

Was out of town visiting my dad and aunt. I made plans before leaving to work out at a nearby gym.... but then life happened. I feel  like I did what was important and was active (storm came through and I spent a good part of a day and a half helping clear branches, etc.) Got my dad and aunt out walking and walked along (wasn't exercise for me.) On the way home today, I stopped at the gym before arriving home and did a strength-training workout. Next time, I will be more realistic. I won't be able to carve out gym time, so will give up on proceeding "perfectly" through my training program. Instead, I will plan some bodyweight exercises I can do instead. Not as good, but something is better than nothing! 

I guess in a way, it gave my muscles a break to repair because my strength training went well today: 

Did more than twice the number of jacknives on a ball than I had been able to do before

Did my first narrow stance push-up from the ground (had been working on an incline) 

Accidentally loaded the barbell with an extra 10 pounds--did 4 out of 15 deadlifts at 95 lbs instead of 85 and was thinking it was because I had taken time off before I realized what I had done). So since I had been close to 100 pounds, I decided to do just one at 100 pounds and did it. Never lifted that before. Still got in my two sets of 16 x 85 pounds. :) 

• Like 4

something is better than nothing! 

I think that's an excellent philosophy when it comes to working out!  

I was a lazy bum and did nothing -- I mean, I had a rest day, yeah, that's it, a rest day! -- on Thursday, cardio at the gym on Friday, weights with husband on Saturday.  

Today I restarted the "Couch to 5K" running program.  I attempted it once before, when a group here was formed to encourage each other.  I loved the program, but I eventually "flunked out" because of a hurt ankle.  I'm going to try it again, because there's nothing else that's quite like running.  I have learned a few things which I hope will help me be more successful this time:

1.  I am NOT setting a specific date for the 5K goal.  I'm taking my time, because I'd rather run a 5K injury-free a year or even two from now, than set a goal of a few months and then drop out again because of injury.  There's no time constraints or pressures here, so I'm giving myself the freedom do do each week of the program for a month or six weeks or however long I need to, in order to make sure my ankles are strong enough.  And perhaps that will mean doing the training only twice a week instead of three times, to make sure my body is "up for it" again before the next run.  I don't know for sure.  I'm just going to play it by ear.

2.  When I first feel a twinge of pain, I will BACK OFF so that the twinge doesn't become debilitating.  (You'd think this one would be obvious, wouldn't you?)

3.  Running forefoot strike rather than heel strike means that you have to take shorter strides, and hit the ground lightly rather than in a pounding, thudding way.  I will make a conscious effort to do that, and get that stride perfected before I lengthen the running time.

So I did a "Week 2" run this morning, and I really enjoyed it.  I know that aerobically I could have handled a more advanced week - in fact aerobically I'm pretty sure I could manage the whole 5K.  But my goal is to get my ankles and calves strong enough to do this without hurting, so I chose an easy week.

• Like 3

Slogged through strength training today. Ever have one of those workouts? Geez. I had to cut back on my weights for the dumbbell squat for second round. Could only do 1 push-up on the ground (my usual is 3 before I start up the incline) on the second set of push-ups. And I am wiped. BUT, I DID it. And I really wanted to skip it. 

Going to swing dance lesson with dh tonight. Won't exactly be aerobic, but it will be movement!

• Like 3

I haven't posted in awhile!  Let's see...

Monday I did cardio on the stationary bike.

Tuesday was weights with hubby

Wednesday was circuit training class

Thursday was a C25K training run

Friday was cardio on the stair-stepper

And I'm supposed to be getting dressed right now to go do weights with hubby again.  Having a hard time waking up this morning.

• Like 2

I had to resurrect this thread to brag, forgive me. I lost my ability to do chin-ups last fall after I got sick. After getting discouraged with all the strength I lost I haven't been doing pull or chin up work (although I get a good chunk of pulling in Silks class and practice). However, I decided that if I want to make good progress I'm going to have to specifically practice them. I checked today and I can do chin-ups again. Squee! I've been avoiding even trying for fear of failing, how silly is that I know. Now to conquer the pull-up, which I've never conquered, but is required for Silks- my goal is 3 by the end of Sep. No idea of my chin-up goal, those are so easy compared to the pull-ups.

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

I had to resurrect this thread to brag, forgive me. I lost my ability to do chin-ups last fall after I got sick. After getting discouraged with all the strength I lost I haven't been doing pull or chin up work (although I get a good chunk of pulling in Silks class and practice). However, I decided that if I want to make good progress I'm going to have to specifically practice them. I checked today and I can do chin-ups again. Squee! I've been avoiding even trying for fear of failing, how silly is that I know. Now to conquer the pull-up, which I've never conquered, but is required for Silks- my goal is 3 by the end of Sep. No idea of my chin-up goal, those are so easy compared to the pull-ups.

Yay!  That is great!  

I didn't realize there was enough difference between a chin-up and a pull-up that a person might be able to do one but not the other.  I know the grips are different, I guess I just didn't realize what a big difference that makes in which muscles are doing most of the work.  I read once that it puts less torque on your shoulders if you use a parallel grip -- I wonder how hard that one is.  I can't do any of them!  Yet.  I can't do any of them yet.  

• Like 2

Let's see, my week was:

Sunday - stairmaster

Monday - run

Tuesday - weights

Wednesday - nothing (migraine, again)

Thursday - run

Friday - circuit training

And tomorrow morning is weights with hubby.  Some sort of cardio planned for Sunday.

I found out today that the instructor who teaches the circuit training class (whom I adore!) also teaches an aqua aerobics class on Thursdays.  I've never done aqua aerobics before, but as brutally hot as it is here right now, the pool sounds pretty good!  So I might give that a try next week.

• Like 2

Yay!  That is great!  

I didn't realize there was enough difference between a chin-up and a pull-up that a person might be able to do one but not the other.  I know the grips are different, I guess I just didn't realize what a big difference that makes in which muscles are doing most of the work.  I read once that it puts less torque on your shoulders if you use a parallel grip -- I wonder how hard that one is.  I can't do any of them!  Yet.  I can't do any of them yet.  

Yes, chin-ups use more bicep. I honestly don't know why we have to master the pull-up vs. the chin-up as it seems to me the action we do in Silks crosses over more to chin-ups, but what do I know. Try them both out and you'll see a difference. 

Yes, yet, the key word is yet. We can't get there if we don't work towards it!

I just read this quote on TNation in - (one of the 5 most awesome people at the gym- and I'd say not just 30 y.o. but 40 and 50s+)

Women Who Kick Ass

While most men these days are sipping soy lattes and making a hobby out of being self-righteously offended by every little thing, women in their 30's seem to have become the new gym bad-asses.

They often train harder and smarter than the guys in the 20s and have all the delicious muscle to prove it. "You train like a girl" has become a compliment these days.

Edited by soror
  • Like 2