Menu

New information about what is happening to our honey bees

MomatHWTK

I was absolutely giddy this morning when I saw 2 (!) bees blissing out on some kale that had bolted. Every summer I am keenly aware how much they are missing, compared to my childhood when we just took their constant presence for granted. Their loss makes even a flower garden feel empty. :(

Edited by MEmama

I love this term. Can you elaborate? Do you actively plant a bunch of stuff and just harvest what survives on its own?

It is a simple philosophy. If you can grow without any assistance from me you can stay. I believe in perennials, not annuals as that is more work then I want to put into gardening. I never water my lawn as I think it is a waste of water. It turns brown during the summer but returns in the fall. Most of my lawn is an assortment of clover and weeds. But, hey, it's green.

I believe a weed is simply a flower nobody loves. My landscaping has numerous flowering weeds in it. Except near the edges where it easy for me to reach and pull out some clashing weeds.

I only plant food (tomatoes, herbs, etc) in containers otherwise the groundhogs and the rabbits eat everything. I water the garden.

I don't use pesticides. I may kill weeds growing in the sidewalk with a vinegar solution. Or not.

• Like 4

Bees LOVE our flower garden right outside the front door - so much so that they keep sneaking inside. We also have an early flowering tree that just hums the entire 4 weeks or so it has flowers because there are so many gosh darn bees in there. I'm doing my part!

• Like 1

The pesticide, especially neonicitinoid, link to colony collapse disorder and bee declines has a long history. The most interesting thing I've read this spring is this article,  http://e360.yale.edu/feature/bee_collapse_co2_climate_change_agriculture/2991/ ,  showing a link between global warming/atmospheric CO2 levels and the protein content of pollen and hence the nutritional status of bees in the Fall. Scary stuff...

* This link has one of the actual studies https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/releases/2016/Q2/rising-co2-levels-reduce-protein-in-crucial-pollen-source-for-bees.html

Edited by raptor_dad

I do mostly like kewb does except I do have formal garden areas. But mixing food plants and butterfly/bee friendly plants is good for food production because it helps pollinate everything. I also keep water attractions around, so IF I spray anything it has to be safe enough that if I were to decide to have frogs legs for dinner my frogs would be safe to eat. (I've never actually done that. Yet. But my point is, if I wouldn't eat anything that my spray touched, then I usually don't use it.)

I'm allergic to bee stings but it's still never been a problem.

My current problem is I need to treat the house for both carpenter bees and termites. Dammit. Not looking forward to the expense or the treatment process.