Menu

Camping and the monthly visitor

MistyMountain

I do not have a camper but I do enjoy tent camping. Some friends invited me on a camping trip in a town with a festival that we went to last year. I realized it coincides with what will be most likely the heaviest days of my period and it is like clockwork. I really do not like the idea of dealing with that but my kids love camping and I also do not want them to miss out because of that. One friend does have a camper that will be on site but the campsite only has ports potties. I am torn because it really will be annoying to deal with and a hassle but my kids will have a good time and make memories. So I can't be the only one who had this dilemma. How do others handle it or do you at least have your own RVs so it is a little less annoying.

Tampons work great camping. If you aren't a tampon person, check out the Radiant pads from Always. Super absorbent and very thin.

I've done tons of camping while on my period and having good quality supplies makes it really a non issue.

Do you believe in using herbs?

I can suggest a few things to you, if you're interested.

and I'm not trying to sell you anything.

To lighten the flow I used to use bayberry capsules and cayenne tincture. You can research what else might help easily. Of course you have to take them usually 2 capsules every 4-6 hours. 

JMHO

• Like 1

BYOTP

Tampax super plus were hands down the best for this.

On a camping trip I always back them up with the biggest overnight pads I can find, and go to the bathroom every time any one else does. 

Carry extras in a make up pouch in your fanny pack at all times.

Wear black bottoms. 

BTDT during peri.  It was ugly but worth it.

You need a mooncup. Seriously mooncup/diva cups are brilliant when you are travelling or camping.

See I'm trying to imagine this.  How does one deal with this in a porta potty situation?  Nowhere to wash anything...

I dunno.  And if I'm going to try something very different for the fist time, do I really want it to be while doing something I don't normally do? 

To the OP, i'd just do it.  It's not awesome of course, but it's not awesome at home either right? 

• Like 2

Aleve (naproxen) can cut bleeding volume a LOT, like, by 40-80 percent depending on the person. Dosages used can be pretty high, but even one tablet twice a day worked wonders for me with my recent post-IUD heavy bleeding. Within an hour or two the flow dropped by about half. I'd start Aleve when you start your period, to make it easier to deal with, and use tampons if they don't bother you. 

• Like 1

Also, using wet wipes for personal cleaning and hand washing is very helpful.

I agree with using whichever products are 'best to you' -- and plenty of them. I'm a pad user, and I often (at home) try to conserve them, but when camping I change them frequently. I'm also a person who uses meds (not herbs) and I take my top safe dose of those for as long as I need to. Whatever works for you... Just the 'best' of them and use them liberally.

Also, I suggest you find a moment to tell at least your female just in a bluntly open fashion, "So, I wanted to let you know I'm menstruating today and tomorrow. It will be fine, but I think I might be happiest if I take it easy rather than participate in all the fun. I assume it's fine for me to disappear into my tent for a rest or whatever once in a while?"

And how does one wash it?  I'm trying to imagine this in a public restroom.  It's even more difficult to imagine if you mostly only have access to portapotties.

You dump the contents and then reinsert.  The exterior stays non-bloody and the interior will just get filled up with blood again.  

When I'm home, I do wash it whenever I remove it.  

• Like 1

I don't think I've had this exact experience (or I've blocked it out), but I would bring a ton of mega tampons, super disposable pads, wet wipes, and hand sanitizer.  And you can use a water bottle for a little extra clean-up if needed.  I also agree with taking OTC pills that can reduce the flow just this time.  And I would say "no" to all swimming opportunities.  :)

Depending on how long the trip is, I might also look into the possibility of taking a shower somewhere nearby.  Is there a rec center where you can pay for a one-time use, or a cheap motel even?

You dump the contents and then reinsert.  The exterior stays non-bloody and the interior will just get filled up with blood again.  

That I am intrigued by.  I may have to try this.

Although at the moment I can't try it...issues down there.  But the thought of not bloody on the outside.  Wow...

I am a menstrual cup convert, I love my Super Jennie.  BUT, I would never in a million years go camping with it, particularly if I wasn't an expert at using it.  

Despite what many others say, IMHO menstrual cups can be a disaster outside of a private toilet/sink set-up.  

If I were you I would pack some ziploc bags (because who knows how you are going to be able to dispose of stuff) and make sure I used pads with wings at all times with either super plus or ultra tampons.   Some wet wipes (or paper towels + water bottle) and disposable gloves would be nice to have too.   Finally, I would be taking advil or something for the entire trip.

Also, I wouldn't go camping  :lol: !!!!

• Like 2

I have not found this to be true, particularly on heavy days.   

• Like 2

I love my Diva Cup a lot, but if I really, really want to make sure there's no leakage, I use a backup pad on heavy days, especially if I'm not sure I will be near a bathroom when needed.  I would not want to use it for the first time while camping, and I've found that it's not always non-messy on the outside.  I might use it while camping at this point (a decade of experience, although there have been lengthy breaks due to pregnancy and breastfeeding), but I'd have some backup pads and a small bottle of water to take with me to rinse things.  I don't think I'd want to use it with porta-potties.

I'd probably use super tampons and a backup pad, and carry a small bottle of water, hand sanitizer, some personal wipes or small cloths in a baggie, a spare pair of panties (and maybe a pair of shorts too), and a couple of large ziplock bags (for anything that gets soiled or needs to be thrown away, if there isn't trash available) in a small pack.

Ugh, I feel for you, OP -- the inconvenience factor is definitely annoying.

• Like 2

I've used menstrual cups for years, and no way to I manage to remain unbloodied.

It would depend a bit on the sanitation set up, but I would be most concerned with the in-stall or toilet clean up possibilities.  So I would have lots of wipes, ziplock bags, and if possible also some water in a squirt bottle.

I hate putting sanitary products in pit-toilets or porta-potties, but often there doesn't seem to be any other option.

Tampons would be better if they work for you, I always have to use pads as well, so it doesn't make camping much easier.

• Like 1

I hate putting sanitary products in pit-toilets or porta-potties, but often there doesn't seem to be any other option.

There always is: pack it out. Ziploc bags make it easy to pack out any trash (in the backcountry, that would include used toilet paper). So, wrap the sanitary products in the wrapper of the new replacement, keep with the trash, and dispose of at home.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

There always is: pack it out. Ziploc bags make it easy to pack out any trash (in the backcountry, that would include used toilet paper). So, wrap the sanitary products in the wrapper of the new replacement, keep with the trash, and dispose of at home.

Yes, that is true.

I think my trouble in the past has been when the place I am camping provides trash disposal and toilets, I tend to assume they are accomodating in some way for sanitar products too, so I haven't really been prepared.  It seems an odd thing to overlook.  The same was true in the army, they were positivly anal for a place for every other kind of waste, and also about not keeping anything in your tent that might attract wildlife, but they never made arrangements for sanitary products.

I wonder if there is anything like really biodegradable pads?  They would be fine in a pit-toilet.

• Like 1

Dd has gone backpacking during her period, no portapotties, just the woods. She uses tampons and pads. It's carry in/carry out, so she wraps used items in aluminum foil before bagging.

Camping stores sell excellent disposable towels. And fast dry underwear. Dd washes with real water (uses a water filter) every day when backpacking, policy of her GIrl Scout group. They use biodegradable camp soap and bandanas as towels.

https://www.rei.com/product/879973/sea-to-summit-wilderness-wipes

Edited by Alessandra

Cup! I have done camping and other situations and honestly this is one of my favorite reasons for having the cup. The cup can be worn for up to 12 hrs before emptying depending on your flow. This means I can rinse/change in the morning when I get up and again at night before bed unless it's a heavier day when I empty once or twice during the day as well. Way better than the constant tampon or pad changes I had before. I don't find the outside of the cup stays unbloodied but it's not a big deal either. You can get a collapsible wash cup (some menstrual cups will come with one). I can camp with my menstrual cup, a collapsible wash cup, a bottle of water (squirt bottle or just a regular bottled water), wipes and hand sanitizer. Remove cup and empty, rinse with a squirt of water in the rinse cup, wipe myself like normal using a wipe for extra cleaning if wanted, replace cup, dump water from wash cup and shoot a quick squirt of water to rinse it, wipe and/or sanitize hands when done. All clean and no mess. This can also be done even in the woods if tent camping without any violations of leave no trace. :) 

• Like 2

Cup! I have done camping and other situations and honestly this is one of my favorite reasons for having the cup. The cup can be worn for up to 12 hrs before emptying depending on your flow. This means I can rinse/change in the morning when I get up and again at night before bed unless it's a heavier day when I empty once or twice during the day as well. Way better than the constant tampon or pad changes I had before. I don't find the outside of the cup stays unbloodied but it's not a big deal either. You can get a collapsible wash cup (some menstrual cups will come with one). I can camp with my menstrual cup, a collapsible wash cup, a bottle of water (squirt bottle or just a regular bottled water), wipes and hand sanitizer. Remove cup and empty, rinse with a squirt of water in the rinse cup, wipe myself like normal using a wipe for extra cleaning if wanted, replace cup, dump water from wash cup and shoot a quick squirt of water to rinse it, wipe and/or sanitize hands when done. All clean and no mess. This can also be done even in the woods if tent camping without any violations of leave no trace. :)

Oh good lord.  I can't pull off peeing in the woods never mind that.  Leave no trace except all over my clothing....Pay no mind to the fact I look like I was just stabbed!  LMAO

• Like 5

Oh good lord.  I can't pull off peeing in the woods never mind that.  Leave no trace except all over my clothing....Pay no mind to the fact I look like I was just stabbed!  LMAO

:lol: LOL I guess I'm use to it. We do a LOT of outdoor activities. Nearly all of our vacations are camping trips, mostly in the woods in secluded areas or in lightly maintained/low facility national forests. Our weekend family time is nearly always spent hiking so again off in the woods with no bathrooms. I guess I've worked out a system :) 

• Like 2

:lol: LOL I guess I'm use to it. We do a LOT of outdoor activities. Nearly all of our vacations are camping trips, mostly in the woods in secluded areas or in lightly maintained/low facility national forests. Our weekend family time is nearly always spent hiking so again off in the woods with no bathrooms. I guess I've worked out a system :)

Yeah I always think if something happened and we all had to suddenly "rough it" to survive I probably wouldn't last long.  :laugh:

My survival situations have consisted of stuff like peeing behind a bus depot late at night in a major metropolitan area because hey if you gotta go you gotta go.  :lol:

• Like 1

THe cup only lasts 12 hours if it doesn't fill up....

Yep! That's why I mentioned the "up to" 12 hrs "depending on flow". I have a fairly light cycle other than one or two days so this works well for me I can usually get the longer times. I know that's not going to work for a lot of women. I do have cloth pads that can be used as back up. I know a lot of women like to have that extra protection just in case!

I simply couldn't do it on my heaviest day. On my heaviest day I use a super tampon or cup and a pad for backup. The cup or tampon leak after an hour if I don't change/empty it. With only porta potties I wouldn't want to be using one every hour.

I can't even leave the house on my heaviest day anymore, let alone go camping, & I'm a camping kinda gal.

Lighter days, sure, head to the park for the day, but staying at the campground? Nope. Not anymore. I need my microwave for a hot pack, clean towels & washcloths, extra pads, & a shower.

I use super duty postpartum extra long cloth pads, much comfier than disposables.

But for camping, I'd use sposies, but hate how hot they are & how they never stick good on hot days once your panties get sweaty (tmi? Sorry)

Good luck!

(I'd send my teens along with my friend & supply the food, but would stay home myself & tell my friend why)