Menu

Continue with BJU Math 6, or switch to CLE? - x-posted

We used CLE for 1st, 2nd, and part of 3rd, then finished that year with MM.  We have done BJU for 4th and 5th and I really like the way it teaches the concepts.  My dd has done well with it.  But, the format starts changing in 6th where it is no longer a workbook, and we are tired of how long the lessons take to teach.  In 7th grade, the TM format changes completely and is not as teacher-friendly.  I am trying to decide if I want to use CLE 6 for 6th.  The shorter teaching time would be a welcome change, as well the option for my dd to go ahead and get started on the We Remember whenever she is ready and not have to wait on me.  She wants to use CLE and likes the workbook format.  

I'm concerned if I would be sacrificing the conceptual teaching too much.  And I feel BJU is stronger in word problems, too.  And I would likely only stay with CLE through algebra at the most because I only want to use Sunrise editions.  I'd like to hit algebra in 8th grade, so would try to push through CLE 600 and half of 700 next year, and then the last half of 700 and then as much of 800 as we could for 7th.  I don't want this push to offset the shorter teaching time we'd gain by using CLE.  I'd probably drop quizzes, the 01 LUs, do two new and one review sometimes, etc.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any insights on BJU math and CLE math for middle school.  I started the Process Skills books with my dd last year, but she barely had time to get to it with the BJU and is only in the 2nd book.  I could push those along some (we were doing the Math Express book as well, which I would drop) to try to ramp up the word problems, but I don't know if that would really be sufficient.  My gut tells me BJU would be stronger, but I guess I'm trying to convince myself that CLE will still be sufficient for preparing my dd for upper level math, possibly Foerster's or maybe even BJU (but I'd need something else for calculus since they don't offer that).

Thanks,

Kathy