Menu

s/o Vaccines- Hepatitis A

Joules

Since this is the time of year and it's being discussed, I'm curious on experiences with the Hepatitis A vaccine before ds goes to the doctor for the pre-college exam and meningitis vaccine.  

It's not on the normal list but there is a possibility (maybe slight) that ds might get a chance to visit India in the next year.  Hep A is on the routine vaccine list there and is endemic in some areas.

Since the schedule is two shots six months apart, I'm tempted to suggest that he get the first just in case, but then I'm concerned about multiple shots at the same time and, of course, don't really want to suggest he get unnecessary ones.

So, have you or your kids had this vaccination?  And would you go ahead, or wait until travel plans are confirmed?

(Ds is 18, so I'm just looking at advice for him in discussion with the doctor.  It's not my decision to make.)

My 3 boys have had it.  It's a pretty non-virulent vaccine.  Along with the doctor, we decided my daughter could skip it.  She wasn't in an age group where it was required (nor was my oldest son) and she tends to react mildly to violently with every single shot she gets.  Even polio caused a reaction in her and it's just not one to generally cause a reaction.  So because of her history we decided to not bother.  The boys, however, with no history of reaction, seemed like they may as well get it.  When I was a nursing student there was an outbreak of Hep A from two restaurants (it was traced to one cook who worked at both).  I had a patient in the ER one night who was so yellow/orange by the time he came in, it was scary.  I've never forgotten how that man looked.  Hep A is treatable (pretty easily) and I'm sure he made a full recovery (though long term problems are possible), but he was a sick man when he came into the ER and it was all because he ate at a restaurant where a cook was infected and it's worth it IMO to avoid all that if there is nothing that may make the shot dangerous for the person getting it (benefits vs. risk).

• Like 3

I had to get it when I worked in a hospital and eventually decided to vaccinate dd because, well, there are instances where other people prepare our food. Also, she traveled quite a bit internationally, and although hep A is totally treatable, it would be a hassle to be hospitalized in a foreign country.

i only mention this because there are some routine vaccinations she did not receive, but hep a was was one we actually went with.

And as far as I can tell, Hep A is not currently a required vaccination in this state. At least, it's not on the baby's list of routine vaccs.

If you are planning travel I would get it. You can always spread the shots out if multiple shots at one time are a concern. We spread the shots out. You can check the CDC website for the recommended schedule plus the "catch up" schedule. That will give you a better idea of what is recommended and how to proceed. A lot of selective/delayed vaxxers use the catch up schedule as a guideline to what to get and when. Also talk to his doctor(s) about the vaccines and your concerns to see what his/her opinion is. Personally we look to multiple care providers for opinions and vaccines were one of the many concerns we took into consideration when choosing practitioners.