Menu

End of year brag thread-no brag too big or small!!

Congrats to all! This is fun to get to brag!

S (11) won the RCM regional gold medal for his grade 4 violin exam with a 95 (technically did the exam last year but got the medal in November so that counts, right :-))and won the medal for his local music school for grade 6 with a grade of 94 last month. He also won a big auditioned scholarship at our local music school. He also did a theory exam (no results yet) and got first class honours on his first piano exam(grade 4). He wrote some lovely compositions this year (including 5 violin sonatas) though he is not ready to share them with his teacher. He is learning to love math. Most impressive, though, is he learned to jump off the diving board. Swimming has been a huge struggle, but he is making progress. I never thought he would be able to do that!

T (9) won the regional gold medal for grade 2 violin (92)and completed her grade 3 in January. She will do grade 4 next week. She also got a big scholarship. She has made amazing strides in school and is now reading very, very well and doing amazing in math. She loves math now, and wants to be a mathematician when she grows up. I honestly dispaired with her in math around 18 months ago when we had to go back to the beginning and start again. Soooo worth it!

D(8) played his book 2 concert (whole of Suzuki violin book 2 by memory in a single solo concert) tonight. It went great! He did his first violin exam last month (grade 2) and got the medal for our local music school. He is finally starting to read fluently, which is very exciting!

M (6) finished Suzuki book 1 on her violin and started book 2. I'm delaying her concert partly because of my sanity, and partly because of her confidence. But she will do it in the fall. She learned to read music this year, and is starting to read and do math. She learned to hold a pencil correctly (which was actually the hardest thing she did this year!)

J (3) has learned to talk, and boy does he!

Little M (3 mos) found her hands and feet. So cute.

I'm so proud of all my babies.

• Like 19

I'll add now what I'm proud--

She's exhibiting impressive leadership skills. She volunteered several hours a week at a preschool, and the kids adored her and the teachers gave me such wonderful feedback. She also has been a great mentor to the other members of her new aerial company. She has the opportunity to be a junior camp counselor at 3 different camps this summer largely as a result of this experience. She's turning 12 at the end of the summer so this shows her high level of maturity for sure!

She's been chosen for many professional level aerial gigs, performances, and training with other adult performers in the area. She and her partner are being respected for their talents, regardless of age.

Academically, she continues to soar even though it's of little importance to her. She completed pre-algebra this year, but her writing in particular has advanced so significantly. She became passionate about environmental and political issues (we live in a very controversial state) and has started to figure out how she could incorporate her circus skills into a social circus volunteer project. She continues to claim science and history as her favorite topics.

She has a strong interest in photography and is working through Great Courses and Coursera classes with DH. Her vocal skills have improved dramatically, but we're going to have to take a break from chorus next year because of schedule conflicts.

She definitely prefers her creative pursuits over traditional academic ones, but I'm fine with that! She remains ahead of grade level and has ample opportunity to focus on her interests.

• Like 16

This was a huge year for dd11! This school year she:

-Took 7 online classes from four different providers and managed to get straight As

-Learned how to manage her time and use a planner

-Learned how to study for big tests

-Learned how to write a solid research paper with citations (and actually doesn't hate writing anymore)

-Scored "outstanding" on the NLE intro exam

-Got over her fear of ballet auditions and ended up being accepted into some very selective summer programs (huge confidence boost for her)

-Kept her room clean and organized all year (!!)

Dd9 isn't academically accelerated but hopefully it's ok to brag about her here too! She:

-started to love reading and is now racing through the Harry Potter books

-caught up to grade level in math

-got a high enough score to move up to the next level in competitive gymnastics despite growing 4 inches in less than a year

-got some scary skills at the gym (giants, back walkover on the beam, fly away on the high bar)

So fun to read about all of these amazing kids. :)

• Like 17

My 8th grader finished his first CC course.  It was collage alg and trig.  He got an A - overall and a 98 on the final.  He went there by bus everyday by himself.  I think he handled himself quite well. 

Also, today we saw his drama teacher and she gushed over his part in the play (which will be Sunday).  I offered several times to run lines with him and he kept refusing and wanted to do everything on his own because he wanted to surprise me.  I was sure he was just being a slacker.  LOL  Nope.  I guess that really is what he wanted to do.  So I look forward to that on Sunday.

This year he participated in 2 programming competitions. These are huge competitions and it's basically several all day and all nighter type crazy things.  He didn't place in any sort of winning spot (most of the participants are adults), but he did get positive reviews on what he did.  This also involved him taking the initiative to learn more new programming concepts.  So I thought that was cool.  That was all on him. 

My younger kid (10) who hates school like crazy scored in the 99th percentile across the board on a standardized test.  I was rather floored because he did nothing but whine and complain about having to do it. 

Edited by SparklyUnicorn
  • Like 21

We finished up school yesterday and there are a lot of things to be proud of:

DD1- finished kindergartern reading at a 2/3 level, Perfect Atendence, Most Imagination Award, Honorable Mention at the Science Fair, speaking role in the class performance (which she rocked!!!), learned to swim, took a full year of dance at a real studio, earned level award with AHG, grew by leaps and bounds emotionally

DD2 - graduated preschool, beginning to sound out words, took a full year of dance at a real studio, got a lot closer to swimming independently

• Like 14

Congrats to all (too many to like individually, so consider all posts liked  :) )!

10th grader (15):

--completed driver's ed (we go this week to get her permit)

--got an A in honors chemistry and in algebra 2 (science and math don't come easily for her)

--got a 204 NM index on the PSAT, so that gives us hope she might be in NMSF/F range next year now that she's had algebra 2 (depending on how the cut-offs work with the new tests), and is invested in working on her math skills this summer to help bring up her scores. 

--was invited to be a jr intern backstage for our regional children's theatre's big weekend of multiple productions (a group she has not worked with before, invited unexpectedly by a teacher she's worked with for several years in other situations)

--has become really interested in and is actively participating in her college search process, with a very mature, realistic attitude as to options

--really took responsibility this year for making sure she met deadlines and made good progress in her work in her online classes

--is being given teaching assistant duties at her dojo, working with new adult students and with the kids

--this was the end of last summer, but she blossomed at her two week residential writing camp. It was her first time away like that without being with folks she's known forever, so I was concerned she would be homesick. She's now very excited about going to college. :)

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 12

Goodness, it's funny how reticent I've been to respond to this thread. I'm so used to NOT talking about my sons' talents... too much, too loudly, and definitely not in front of strangers.

It's been a very good year. Here are a few brags:

Ever tingle all over when you get those glimpses of the adults your kids are shaping up to be and realize how much you're going to like them?

The biggest brag I have this year is realizing how kind, caring, and compassionate DS7 and DS3 are turning out to be. They are quick to give each other (and us) hugs and helping hands. They are the type of kids who sit and play with babies who are at the park with adults but no other kids to hang out with. When one of them is upset, my husband and I don't even have a chance to rush in to help these days - by the time we realize what's happening, one son is doling out hugs and doing silly things to make his brother feel better. They don't even let us pass by litter on our trail walks without picking it up (I carry an extra bag for these purposes, now!). 

Our PG 7 y.o. son who can be anything he wants to be told his language teachers that, when he grows up, he wants to be: a Daddy. Our equally bright 3 y.o. son countered that, when he grows up, he wants to be: Mommy, because "Mommy is really cool, isn't she, Daddy?"

It's getting pretty late over here for me, so I'll just talk about my eldest son's academic/extracurricular brags on this post.

This year my DS7 (1st grader) has taken some amazing leaps:

- He blazed through 3-4 grade levels in math, and is now in Pre-algebra/Algebra I. Practicing for math competitions helped him re-discover his passion for the subject, and started requesting that we do math together before bedtime or before breakfast for fun.

- He has been reading at a college level for two years now. He has always enjoyed reading non-fiction adult reference books for pleasure. While he liked listening to higher-level fiction, he didn't really enjoy reading it for himself. UNTIL this year. I really like the conversations we are having because of topics brought up in these books. You can almost "see" him working on building his personal map and moral compass.

- He likes to practice spelling words as he sits, and he spells at an 11-12th grade level, though he is entirely self-taught. "Mom, I know how to spell these words because I read them in my books!"

- He has become quite the avid gardener, with his "organic raised beds" taking up more and more of our limited urban backyard space. ;) 

- He has been a patient and loving caretaker of the new cat we adopted from the shelter, this year. They are inseparable.

- He participated in 6 competitions this year (math, science, and Chinese). He didn't win any of them this year, although he had a good showing in all of them. I am so proud of him because all the competitions were intended for older (sometimes much older) kids AND because he has struggled with an almost-paralyzing shyness in the past. So this is a BIG deal for him. I'm glad to see him making the effort to prepare himself for competition, and to step outside of his comfort zone to challenge himself. Those skills can only serve him well in life.

- His Chinese and Spanish teachers have praised him for how well he is doing in their classes and for his command of the language and his proficiency in other subjects (notably math and science). He can speak for 6+ hours in both of those languages, without switching back to English. He reads and writes above grade level for both languages, as well, including using traditional Chinese characters.

- He regularly beats adult competitors in games of strategy (chess, Settlers of Cataan, Dominion, etc.) and has a beautiful ability to remember all his moves - and yours. Even days later. I always wished I could do that...

- He graduated from swim school, this year, and can now perform all four strokes (freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke, and butterfly stroke). Swimming does NOT come naturally to him, unlike most other things. I like that he stuck with it, and continued to give it his best until he accomplished his goal.

- He is a great little soccer player, and has had several games where he has been the MVP on his team of 6-7 year olds and has bested opposing teams of much older teenagers or adults.

- He is an amazing tennis player. He plays junior advanced tennis and is the youngest player in his group by 4-5 years, on average. If he continues to work hard and love the sport, his coaches think he could make a name for himself in tennis. I think so, too, if he wants it badly enough. It's like he "dances" as he plays and completely loses himself out there. 

- We have had such lovely conversations, this year. For example, he told me that he "doesn't have a type" for a person that he'd like to marry, except that "she needed to be nice. If she's not, [he's] not interested."

When I shared with him that I have some sad memories that I revisit, as well as many happy ones, he told me: "Mama, all you need to do is just blink your eyes and let go of the sad."

He also said that "some people think that they're better than others because they have a lot of money, but that money doesn't make you rich." He said that "caring about others makes you rich, and spending time with the people, and animals, and doing the things you care about." He then topped it off by saying: "Mama, we're the richest people I know."

That's all for now. What a joy it is to share here! Thank you for sharing all that your wonderful kids and families are doing. It's an inspiration! 

• Like 17

I love reading these threads!  It's so much fun to see how everyone has such unique and interesting kids.

DD(4) went from sounding out words to reading easy chapter books.  It's an exciting transition. She still loves being read to though, so I'm still doing a lot of reading aloud.  She's also started working out multiplication and division ideas, which is neat to watch. And though her penmanship leaves something to be desired, she's a pretty good speller, and has started writing letters/notes.  

She has a keen interest in space, and we've been lucky here to find a few supportive adults.  We've stumbled on some who work for the Berkeley observatory, and she's allowed to go about 1x a week (with me of course) to watch them work, and just listen to their conversations.  When we were on the way home one week, she asked me a fairly good question about multiverse theory. If there are multiple universes, what is in between them?  What's the separation made of? Because if there's nothing between or no separation, then they should be all one universe and able to interact. I love that she thinks things through, even though I don't know all the answers. 

She completed her first sportsy class without being asked to leave.  She has sensory difficulties and dyspraxia, so we've had trouble finding appropriate sports activities for her, even at the rec center level.  She's been kicked out of basketball, dance, gymnastics....sigh.  But she just completed a 12 week dance class, with a wonderfully understanding instructor who allowed her to use a buddy like system to help her understand where she needed to move and how.  I'm proud of her for persevering through something difficult, and continuing to try to find places that she can fit.  

Overall, it's been a great year.  I'm sad we are leaving Berkeley, where we've finally found support for her interests and a bit of a groove. I often feel it's unfair to her to make her move so much, but it is what it is. I've been trying to convince her a new home has new opportunities, and I'll try to convince myself of it as well.   

• Like 15

Goodness, it's funny how reticent I've been to respond to this thread. I'm so used to NOT talking about my sons' talents... too much, too loudly, and definitely not in front of strangers.

It's been a very good year. Here are a few brags:

Ever tingle all over when you get those glimpses of the adults your kids are shaping up to be and realize how much you're going to like them?

The biggest brag I have this year is realizing how kind, caring, and compassionate DS7 and DS3 are turning out to be. They are quick to give each other (and us) hugs and helping hands. They are the type of kids who sit and play with babies who are at the park with adults but no other kids to hang out with. When one of them is upset, my husband and I don't even have a chance to rush in to help these days - by the time we realize what's happening, one son is doling out hugs and doing silly things to make his brother feel better. They don't even let us pass by litter on our trail walks without picking it up (I carry an extra bag for these purposes, now!). 

Our PG 7 y.o. son who can be anything he wants to be told his language teachers that, when he grows up, he wants to be: a Daddy. Our equally bright 3 y.o. son countered that, when he grows up, he wants to be: Mommy, because "Mommy is really cool, isn't she, Daddy?"

It's getting pretty late over here for me, so I'll just talk about my eldest son's academic/extracurricular brags on this post.

This year my DS7 (1st grader) has taken some amazing leaps:

- He blazed through 3-4 grade levels in math, and is now in Pre-algebra/Algebra I. Practicing for math competitions helped him re-discover his passion for the subject, and started requesting that we do math together before bedtime or before breakfast for fun.

- He has been reading at a college level for two years now. He has always enjoyed reading non-fiction adult reference books for pleasure. While he liked listening to higher-level fiction, he didn't really enjoy reading it for himself. UNTIL this year. I really like the conversations we are having because of topics brought up in these books. You can almost "see" him working on building his personal map and moral compass.

- He likes to practice spelling words as he sits, and he spells at an 11-12th grade level, though he is entirely self-taught. "Mom, I know how to spell these words because I read them in my books!"

- He has become quite the avid gardener, with his "organic raised beds" taking up more and more of our limited urban backyard space. ;)

- He has been a patient and loving caretaker of the new cat we adopted from the shelter, this year. They are inseparable.

- He participated in 6 competitions this year (math, science, and Chinese). He didn't win any of them this year, although he had a good showing in all of them. I am so proud of him because all the competitions were intended for older (sometimes much older) kids AND because he has struggled with an almost-paralyzing shyness in the past. So this is a BIG deal for him. I'm glad to see him making the effort to prepare himself for competition, and to step outside of his comfort zone to challenge himself. Those skills can only serve him well in life.

- His Chinese and Spanish teachers have praised him for how well he is doing in their classes and for his command of the language and his proficiency in other subjects (notably math and science). He can speak for 6+ hours in both of those languages, without switching back to English. He reads and writes above grade level for both languages, as well, including using traditional Chinese characters.

- He regularly beats adult competitors in games of strategy (chess, Settlers of Cataan, Dominion, etc.) and has a beautiful ability to remember all his moves - and yours. Even days later. I always wished I could do that...

- He graduated from swim school, this year, and can now perform all four strokes (freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke, and butterfly stroke). Swimming does NOT come naturally to him, unlike most other things. I like that he stuck with it, and continued to give it his best until he accomplished his goal.

- He is a great little soccer player, and has had several games where he has been the MVP on his team of 6-7 year olds and has bested opposing teams of much older teenagers or adults.

- He is an amazing tennis player. He plays junior advanced tennis and is the youngest player in his group by 4-5 years, on average. If he continues to work hard and love the sport, his coaches think he could make a name for himself in tennis. I think so, too, if he wants it badly enough. It's like he "dances" as he plays and completely loses himself out there. 

- We have had such lovely conversations, this year. For example, he told me that he "doesn't have a type" for a person that he'd like to marry, except that "she needed to be nice. If she's not, [he's] not interested."

When I shared with him that I have some sad memories that I revisit, as well as many happy ones, he told me: "Mama, all you need to do is just blink your eyes and let go of the sad."

He also said that "some people think that they're better than others because they have a lot of money, but that money doesn't make you rich." He said that "caring about others makes you rich, and spending time with the people, and animals, and doing the things you care about." He then topped it off by saying: "Mama, we're the richest people I know."

That's all for now. What a joy it is to share here! Thank you for sharing all that your wonderful kids and families are doing. It's an inspiration! 

As the mother of another 7 year old, 1st grader, I am in awe of your son. I love this thread! Thank you for sharing.

• Like 8

Not the end of the school year here, but I'm posting to remind myself of all the good stuff after a long spate of tantrums.

My 5 1/2 yr old daughter has

- just moved up to 2nd grade maths

- is completing 3rd grade reading comprehension

- completed a quiz on the periodic table at the museum, passing with flying colours

- discussed word roots with me today, categorising different words into French, Latin, Greek and Anglo-saxon/Norse origin

- can ride a bike with training wheels!

She is currently very challenging so reminding myself of these things kind of cheers me up.

• Like 9

Thank you so much for your kind words! We're all in it together. :) Hope you and your 7 y.o. have a fantastic summer!

Here is my 7 year old, Sacha, conquering a couple of his fears in the past week (the dreaded, "Toilet Bowl" slide at Aquatica and the big scary ocean at surf camp today -- he is a cautious kid, by nature):

https://www.facebook.com/monique.b.labarre/videos/vb.585033260/10153734551978261/?type=2&theater

https://www.facebook.com/monique.b.labarre/videos/vb.585033260/10153750443913261/?type=2&theater

https://www.facebook.com/monique.b.labarre/videos/vb.585033260/10153750449963261/?type=2&theater

• Like 13

Here is my 7 year old, Sacha, conquering a couple of his fears in the past week (the dreaded, "Toilet Bowl" slide at Aquatica and the big scary ocean at surf camp today -- he is a cautious kid, by nature):

https://www.facebook.com/monique.b.labarre/videos/vb.585033260/10153734551978261/?type=2&theater

https://www.facebook.com/monique.b.labarre/videos/vb.585033260/10153750443913261/?type=2&theater

https://www.facebook.com/monique.b.labarre/videos/vb.585033260/10153750449963261/?type=2&theater

Coming from a water loving area much farther north, I cringe when I see kiddos without full wetsuits including feet. Then I have to remind myself you all get the warm water! He looks like he is really doing well - and having fun - pushing himself!

• Like 3

Here is my 7 year old, Sacha

Hey, you have a new profile picture, and it looks like you must've kidnapped my kids! I swear I've got a picture where my youngest looks just like the kid on the right (different t-shirt), same haircut and all. My oldest looks a lot like the one on the left, though slightly different glasses, and well, older.

• Like 4

Academically, DS 9 finished GSWS in 3 months, and flew through Jousting Armadillos with ease. We had a relaxed year but I can see that he's starting to gear up for another leap. It's exciting!

Musically he wrote 3 rap albums in garage band, complete with cover art. They are hilariously adorable. (And he'd kil me if he knew I said that!)

He's finally learning to focus and it's showing in his work. I'm excited to see where next year takes him!

My 5 yo twins just finished K at a Montessori school. They have both been reading for a couple of years and are starting to get into chapter books. (Not really that impressive on this board, but around here 5 year olds aren't usually that far.)

This is a great thread, thanks for sharing everyone!

Edited by Runningmom80
  • Like 12

It's been an exciting year for my oldest dd 15:

- Completed first music theory exam and will do her first violin technical exam (both levels will be equivalent to grade 12 music credit)

- Was accepted for an internship at our city agricultural museum.

- Applied for and was accepted into a business entrepreneur summer company program with funding and mentorship

- Continued to progress in her violin ensemble

- Had a wonderful time in a university mini-course this spring and has a broader picture for future career opportunities

- Competed in her 4th math contest, and she continues to enjoy doing them

• Like 11

Wow, wow, wow!!! Watching these videos is like watching one of those Tom Hanks tear-jerker sports movies... My heart was in my chest (no, seriously - you have one brave kid!) for the Aquatica ride. I was nervous for Sacha during his initial surfing attempt and thrilled for him during the second because you can just see his confidence rising and the pride that he's feeling in his accomplishment. 

Thanks so much for sharing. Put a big smile on my face. Virtual high-fives to your cool kiddo.

• Like 5

Thanks for starting this thread again this year!

DD15:

--finished her 9th grade year with a total of 15 college credits from CLEP and dual enrollment (got A's in two online dual enrollment classes)

--was accepted to take in-class dual enrollment at our local 4-year university this fall as a 10th grader even though they normally only take 11th or 12th graders, and was permitted to enroll in the honors section of biology for science majors, even though it is supposed to be only for students in the honors college

--finished a 5-year 4-H veterinary science curriculum that would have led toward becoming a certified veterinary assistant, except that she has decided she doesn't want to be a vet!

DS12:

--scored well on the Explore test through Duke TIP

--doing well with algebra and exploring robotics

--has matured a lot!

• Like 11

Can I please tiptoe in and share something?  No one IRL is at all familiar with AoPS and I HAVE TO SHARE THIS SOMEWHERE.  (That's a happy shout.)

DD just received her grade from AoPS Intro to Algebra B:   A+    Even better?  One of the statements in the comments:  "We do not even have any suggestions for improvement, because [DD] did such a great job in class!"

I am so proud of her I could pop!  The AoPS classes have been an enormous challenge, and DD has worked REALLY hard and developed strength and persistence.  I am so, so proud of her!  (Or did I say that already? :001_wub: )

• Like 21

dd11 is finishing up 6th grade at a charter school this week. I honestly wasn't sure she would make it through the whole year, emotionally, but we managed to get a 504 plan in place to help accommodate for some of her sensory issues, and she pulled it off with great grades and she plans to go back next year.

One of her main reasons for going back to school was to have a regular group of people that she interacts with every day, and I am happy to see that she has found a place for herself. She has a nice little group of friends.

She was in the school play/musical last week, and really enjoyed herself, so she wants to continue with theater next year. She has such stage presence! 

She had a good year in Irish dance as well, winning firsts in all of her dances over the course of the year, and she is now competing at the next level up. She got a first place in one of her dances at the new competition level, so is on the verge of breaking through to the next competition level after that. She has made a few close friendships at her dance school in the last couple of years, and those have really strengthened this year as well. 

dd was in art classes while homeschooling, but was never very confident about her abilities, despite really positive feedback from her art teachers. There has been a big disconnect between what she wants to draw, and what she can execute. This year, she spent countless hours drawing on her own, and she is finally proud of some of what she does, and has started to share her drawings with some excitement. She wants to take an anime class over the summer. 

Anyway, dd has always had ridiculously low self-esteem, but she seems to finally find some value in herself this year.  

• Like 11

DS 13:

-Close to a perfect score on SAT math in October last year months before turning 13. 

- Highest score AMC 10 at school/ math circle

- Math Olmpiad winner at school ( top 5%)

- Qualified for AIME in 7th grade on his first attempt

-Silver medal Russian School of Math

-Second highest score on his ARML team in Nationals ( youngest on the team...all others were high school kids)

-Made the highest Tier  ice Hockey team few months back

DS11:

-Silver medal in Russian school of math

-A+ in AOPS Algebra A class. Doing very well in his AOPS Geometry class ( half way through)

- Took AMC 10 with a pretty respectable score!

-Made Mathleage state (CA) and was in the Top 20

- Played up an age level in hockey

Edited by Mozwo
  • Like 14

DS14 (8th grade)

completed enough HighSchool level work that he & we are convinced we can handle this next year.

• M&L bio - the whole book.  Great test scores.  Discovered that he loves bio.
  • HotAW - working independently and producing high-quality work.
  • picked Scouts back up and earned 2nd class.  I'm most proud, though, of his massively improved attitude and willingness to go talk to leaders on his own, ask/arrange for what he needs, etc.
  • 17 on his first math contest (AMC8.  Last year's test was hard.  That's top 3.5%.)  He still believes he is 'bad at math'. :glare:

DD12(6th grade)

• set an ambitious goal, and worked to achieve it. Decided she wanted to complete AoPS PreAlg in 3 months so she was prepared for the AMC8...worked hard to get it done.
  • 15 on first math contest (AMC8).  That's _not_ the score she wanted.  Happy to see that hasn't discouraged her from doing more.
  • Completed AoPS pre-alg and Intro Alg this year.
  • First USA swimming AA time.
  • taller than Mom (she's happy about that. Mom not so much) :lol:
  • Like 10

Celebrations this year for DD6:

• Loves Beast Academy and Penrose!
  • Has to improvise on every piano song I have her play, usually the first time around!
  • LOVES playing scales in violin and piano. Who is motivated to play scales for fun??!
  • Composed a charming little piano piece; I posted on a FB group, and a stranger from England sent it back with teacher accompaniment. How cool!
  • Swims underwater great. Now working on top ;)
  • Her ballet teacher moved her up to the age 9-11 group. I love that her passion is supported and acknowledged
  • Taught herself cursive
  • She did NOT kill the cat with her affections
  • Read a million and one books? It may be at addiction level. What have I done? :crying:
Edited by bakpak
  • Like 10

Meghan received straight A's at Veritas Press Scholar's Academy! Yaay Meghan :)

She "graduated" from Explorer to Patriot in AHG. 

She has become more responsible with her work and her chores.

She has put on weight and looks healthy! Even my pita mother says so! (Meghan has VACTERLS Association and hypoparathyroidism, she is going to be 13 on October 3 and weighs 76 lbs). 

She is doing really well with her horseback lessons.

She continues to excel in her voice/piano/guitar.

• Like 14

In a followup from my post yesterday, DD is FINALLY far enough along in violin (finishing Suzuki Book 1) that she started messing around with picking out a tune by herself today and it was a beautiful moment. She was playing Bicycle Built for Two (I didn't know she knew it!) in some unusual key. She was so proud of herself and she was thoroughly focused and having fun!!! I really have to get out of the way of this kid and let her compose, create, transpose and honor her own sweet musical style.

We've totally focused on our children's accomplishments so far, but I think we could each revisit this topic and write our own parental accomplishments as relate to our kids/homeschooling for the year!

Brags on myself - all those times I....

1. Remembered to be gentle on myself and my daughter both

2. Owned it when I needed to take extra time to care for my physical and mental self. When my body asked for a nap, I listened!

3. Relaxed my expectations and instead worked hard to get giggles and laughter and fun back in music practice/lessons with DD - love of music and maintaining a strong positive relationship are most important!

4. Choose to play a game or read another book aloud or joined in pretend play when I thought I should be cleaning up the kitchen instead

5. Asked for help even though I _could_ have done it all by myself

6. Figured out that if DD turned her nose up at a book after judging it by its cover (or illustrations), all I needed to do was read 1/2 of the first chapter out loud and she was hooked ;)

7. Gracefully navigated the family-work-life balance to my own satisfaction

8. Went birding and counted it as work!!!! :hurray:

Anyone else?

• Like 11

Hey, I can add in one more "brag" for our end of year; ds 14 was just offered and accepted an apprenticeship position with a local professional theatre company. He'll be learning about Front of House, which is box office, audience accommodation and seating, and PR. All highly transferable skills even if he doesn't pursue a career in theatre. He'll also receive an honorarium for his hours work, so he's excited about making a bit of money. I think he'll thrive at this opportunity to get out of the house, away from his younger brothers, and take on these new responsibilities. ;)  Another neat thing about this theatre company is that all their performances are outside, so Front of House conditions will change from day to day.

It's really hard to find something for this age, so we're thrilled. On a cuteness note, for his interview he decided to wear a 3-piece suit. He looked amazing! The interviewer must have known that ds meant business when he walking in with a suit on a sweltering hot day.  :laugh:

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 12

On a cuteness note, for his interview he decided to wear a 3-piece suit. He looked amazing! The interviewer must have known that ds meant business when he walking in with a suit on a sweltering hot day.  :laugh:

LOVE it!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

• Like 1

Hey, I can add in one more "brag" for our end of year; ds 14 was just offered and accepted an apprenticeship position with a local professional theatre company. He'll be learning about Front of House, which is box office, audience accommodation and seating, and PR. All highly transferable skills even if he doesn't pursue a career in theatre. He'll also receive an honorarium for his hours work, so he's excited about making a bit of money. I think he'll thrive at this opportunity to get out of the house, away from his younger brothers, and take on these new responsibilities. ;)  Another neat thing about this theatre company is that all their performances are outside, so Front of House conditions will change from day to day.

It's really hard to find something for this age, so we're thrilled. On a cuteness note, for his interview he decided to wear a 3-piece suit. He looked amazing! The interviewer must have known that ds meant business when he walking in with a suit on a sweltering hot day.  :laugh:

Apparently part of ds's job will be organizing and running the concession for intermission. His eyes lit up when he heard this. I had to remind him the food wasn't for him.  :lol:

• Like 4

This was a good near!

18 year old son:

Became an Eagle Scout

Graduated high school

Went to one semester of CC for dual enrollment and got a 4.0 in all 3 classes!

16 year old son:

Became an Eagle Scout

Finished his first year in public school and got all As and Bs

Was in a play at school

Just got back from a  mission's trip overseas

12 year old son:

Working hard towards Eagle

Finished 6th grade with flying colors

Will be going to PS next year 

• Like 11

It finally was published, so I can talk about it now. Ds made it into High Country News! He was very nervous about the interview, but handled himself so well. This was his first national interview and he is by far one of their youngest participants.

https://www.hcn.org/issues/48.11/meet-the-new-advocates-for-the-west

His name is Dae Dahlquist, if you want to read it.

• Like 17

I have read these but not gotten around to putting ours down yet. Thanks for the opportunity!

DD (just turned 11 and finished 5th grade):

Got accepted into DYS

Placed 1st in the state and 3rd nationally in Math Kangaroo

Worked through first 16 chapters of AoPS Intro to Algebra and re-discovered a fondness for math

Made good progress in writing despite no fondness whatsoever

Qualified for regional and then national finals in the National History Bee, and national championship in U.S. Geography Olympiad (we were unable to attend the nationals for these)

Auditioned into the mid-level youth orchestra (mostly middle and high school students)

Competed in her first FIRST LEGO League 

Attended first sleep-away camp last summer (1 week) and enjoyed it so much she's going back for 2 weeks this summer

Made friends with some neighborhood girls

Handling her diagnosis of scoliosis - and having to wear a brace 14-18 hours/day - as well as she can

DS (8, just finished 3rd grade):

Got accepted into DYS and CTY

Placed 3rd in the state and 16th nationally in Math Kangaroo

Worked through AoPS Intro to Prealgebra

Made good progress in writing and discovered an interest in fiction writing

Qualified for regional finals in the National History Bee, and national championship in U.S. Geography Olympiad (we were unable to attend this)

Auditioned into the lower-level youth orchestra (mostly middle school and upper elementary students), and earned second chair for one concert

Attending first sleep-away camp right now (just 4 nights)

DD (6, just finished 1st grade, not as gifted/advanced):

Got accepted into local gifted magnet (will attend next year)

Completed first Math Kangaroo contest

Completed second grade level of most subjects

Made friends everywhere she went

Edited by MASHomeschooler
  • Like 8

Am smiling as I read through these posts. Not only are there some awesome kids here, but you moms are pretty wonderful, too!

As with most things in motherhood, any homeschooling day can seem an eternity but the years go by in a flash. I'm not saying this to make you dread the day they move out into the big wide world, but to encourage you that all your work is so very worthwhile! The payoff comes when your young adult children proudly tell their college professors about the great education they got at home. (And when those college professors tell you about how your child's sharp mind really stood out in that freshman survey classroom.)  It comes when those young adults want to trade books with you, then are eager for you to finish the book so you can talk about it. Remember all that worry about analyzing literature? There comes a day when they will talk circles around you, and have brilliant insights you totally missed. The best pay off of all is having a close family bond that comes from having spent so much time together through all those years. 

I spent many years hanging out on this board when my kids were little, so will go ahead and add my brag. My youngest graduated college last month, summa cum laude and with department honors.  He was elected to phi beta kappa at the end of his junior year, too, and all this was with a STEM major and minor.  He's leaving the country at the end of July to go teach English for a while before starting grad school.  Oh to be young and get to just go live abroad because you want to!!  I'm really jealous!  

• Like 19

Okay, another few brags! But, again, her love is with aerial arts, not the academics that she is also good at. LOL

DD was just part of a month-long theatrical cirque production and their act has received specific mention in a couple of the reviews:

"...two children implemented beautiful aerial silk techniques..."

"...two youths, do [trapeze] work of trust, contact, communication and grace." (it was really silks; they had the apparatus wrong)

The image in my profile is a shot from this particular show. 

I posted a picture of her working on one of her new upcoming acts to FB and her instructor posted this: "...is doing an amazing job. Her focus and dedication are beyond what any teacher or coach could ask for."

• Like 5