Menu

Please help me choose math for my kids UPDATES

blue daisy

I have a general idea of what to do for my kids for math next year but I'm ready to narrow down my picks and would love your input.

DS11, going into 6th grade. He is gifted in math and has applied to a local accelerated math program offered through our state university. if he gets in, he'll do that, our only outsourced class. The class meets once a week and he's expected to have about an hour of work a day at home.  Otherwise, he'll do AoPS Algebra with me.

DS 8, going into 3rd grade. He is also advanced/gifted in math but the school didn't really do anything for him because they didn't want to end up in the same situation as my older son (who was double accelerated for math but then they didn't know what to do with him in 4th and 5th grade).  We have done Beast Academy 3A and 3B during school breaks and he really likes it so I plan to continue with that but I'm wondering if it's a complete program or if  should do it in addition to Singapore. If I add in Singapore, do the placement tests give a good idea of where to start?  I'm thinking he could probably skip a grade level as long as I make sure we don't miss any topics (he's solid in his multiplication facts already).

UPDATE - I'm leaning towards just Beast Academy as a main curriculum but maybe adding some Singapore CWP or Zaccarro or something else for occasional review/just making sure we're covering all bases.

DD6, going into 1st.  I think she is probably on grade level, but she picks things up pretty quickly so I wouldn't be surprised if she advances quickly through a 1st grade curriculum.  I and thinking about Miquon and/or Singapore.  I like the discovery approach of Miquon.  I think she will like the pretty/colorful pages of Singapore better.  She reads fluently so I don't worry about the extra text of Singapore.  I was thinking of alternating books? (go through a Miquon book, then a Singapore book, etc.) or is that overkill?  I think I just don't want to choose between them because they both look great. LOL

UPDATE - pretty sure I'm going to combine Miquon and Singapore for now.

Singapore question - are the Standards editions and US editions that different?  It would be nice to buy the cheaper set (US).

Any other fun supplements that you think are must-haves?  My kids generally like math, logic, puzzles, etc. and I love to have extra games, etc. strewn about.

Thanks in advance!  :)

Edited by blue daisy

For your daughter, yes I would do Singapore and Miquon. I have used both programs for my girls and really like the way they complement each other. I have used them as you suggested, finish one book say in Singapore then do a book in Miquon. I have also used them both at the same time, each day doing one lesson in Singapore and one or two pages of their choice in Miquon.

I use the US edition, I live in Australia so wanted the metric system (I don't remember if Standards have that, been a while since I have looked at that edition).

Hope that helps :)

• Like 1

Beast is written as a complete program, yes.  Some people find it doesn't provide enough practice or repetition for their students, so *IF* that were to wind up being the case, you might need to add in some review of some type.  But honestly with gifted, accelerated kids that isn't usually a big problem.

• Like 1

OK, thank you for the input.  That is good to know about BA. 

I do think I'll do both Miquon and Singapore for DD.  I think she can work through them at a quick pace, it will give her a thorough foundation and it gives us a chance to try a couple of approaches to see if anything works better or worse for her.

Thanks!

• Like 1

This website has information on the differences between the US and Standards...

http://singaporemathsource.com/singaporematheditions/

Have you looked into Math Mammoth? It's a similar mastery style of math. You can purchase a downloadable version, so you can print what you need, when you need it. Plus, as the younger children get older, you can use the same download for them when they reach that level.

• Like 1

I prefer the US edition of Singapore math for the child who does not need/want tons of review.

OK, thank you.  This is good to know.  I suspect she will not need much review for most topics.  She seems to intuitively "get" math like her brothers.