Menu

What writing program for my 5th grader?

kesmom

We previously did WWE 1 and 2, then CAP Fable. She has been in public school this year for fourth grade. She is a strong writer and absolutely LOVES it, with hopes to be a professional writer someday.

Returning to homeschool for fifth grade, I'm not sure where to place her. I was pleased with the writing she did in school this year and felt like she gained in both skill and confidence. Options I am considering are.....

- Continuing with CAP, maybe jump to Narrative II?

- Another year of WWE, but not sure which level

- BW Faltering Ownership - this sounds fun but I feel like I know the least about it

- something else?

TIA

We're going to try Writer's in Residence as well.  It kind of reminds me of a Brave Writer-ish program formatted into an ultra easy-to-use format.  From the samples and reading comments from the author, Debra Bell, on the WIR FB page, I got the impression that she really values the student finding joy in writing.  That was definitely a selling point for me.

• Like 1

Thank you! I have not heard of WIR before, but it does look interesting. How much religious content does it have beyond the interviews of Christian writers? (We are Christian, but I don't always care for faith based curricula)

Anyone else?

• Like 1

Sharon Watson writing books also look great. I am planning to use Jump in with my 5th grader next year, and her The Power in Your Hands for my high school student.  I have also used Memoria Press' classical writing series. Their work is a completely different perspective, and my oldest daughter's writing dramatically changed for the better after using this for a year. Maity Shreccengost's Writing Whizardry is also a good supplement for ideas with mini lessons to work on specific writing skills.

Thank you! I have not heard of WIR before, but it does look interesting. How much religious content does it have beyond the interviews of Christian writers? (We are Christian, but I don't always care for faith based curricula)

Anyone else?

Cathy Duffy has a review of WIR on her website.  The review is excellent/informative and she also shares about the Christian content within WIR.  Toward the bottom of the review there is information specifically addressing the Christian content.

I would use W&R and add some BraveWriter Lifestyle practices (or NaNoWriMo, Killgallon style grammar, or other writing element) to satisfy her writing needs. W&R really is writing AND rhetoric, and develops both in tandem. Ergo, the volume of writing isn't as much (there's lots of discussion and elocution practices). If she loves writing add in free-write Friday or Poetey Tea, etc. W&R is great - it develops structure, style, reasoning, and analysis all at once. But it isn't high volume writing (which is one reason we love it).

• Like 1