Menu

Quick? Does Cow Heart Dissection = Sheep Heart Dissection?

Here's the status - what do you think???

My younger kids are about to dissect a sheep heart. DD is doing Apologia Anatomy, and is wondering if she does it with them, guiding them, if that would be an equivalent for the cow heart dissection she is supposed to do later on.

Thoughts?

(we already have the sheep heart, haven't ordered the cow one yet)

I'm just thinking out loud here - both are mammals, cow is just bigger, so I think it would work, unless there is a compelling reason to do a cow. Your older dd will probably need to do a more detailed disection than your younger children, which may be enough of a reason to do them separately. What do yo uthink?

Blessings,

April (in the throes of finding biology lab supplies as well!)

Yeah -

I'm thinking that the eldest is just going to have to do her own dissection - then, truthfully, I don't have to worry about doing it just "right" - we can muck around and see what's in the heart without pressure!

Except that dd9 is FREAKING OUT over doing this. Heh. Wait til we get to the eyeball!!!:tongue_smilie:

that a sheep's heart is 3 chambered while the cow heart is 4 chambered like ours.

Sheep hearts DO NOT have 3 chambers!! They have 4 just like all other domestic animals. The benefit to a cow heart over a sheep is that it would be much larger, they typically weigh 20# for an adult while a sheep heart will be 3 or 4# at most I guess.

Soph

And just to clear up the stomach compartment stuff too, all ruminants (cow, sheep, goats) have four compartments: reticulum, rumen, omasum, and abomasum while camelids (camels, llamas) have 3 compartments: C1, C2, and C3.

Maybe that is where the confusion of 3 or 4 came from.

Thanks everyone -

Well, we opted for the younger set to just do the sheep - aka, carve it up with Mommy! Not very sophisticated, but they got the picture.

And get this -

DD9 - who has been making a Federal Case out of the whole dissection issue? Well, well, well - guess who was in there with tweezers and such, checking out the aorta and begging me to cut it open! :D

Fun stuff. I love days like this!

Maybe Soph the vet will fly to Alabama when it's eyeball time! :lol:

Thanks everyone -

Well, we opted for the younger set to just do the sheep - aka, carve it up with Mommy! Not very sophisticated, but they got the picture.

Are you using any particular science program, or just putting it together yourself?

Are you using any particular science program, or just putting it together yourself?

Actually, I'm pulling together some of the old favorites that my eldest used, that I never got to! Mostly individual titles from Sonlight science that I loved.

This one is Blood & Guts - the book's upstairs, so I don't have the author. It actually recommends doing a heart, kidney, and eyeball dissection! Well, not a technical dissection, but finding landmarks and a general sense of how the insides work.

Let me know if I can be of any more help. :001_smile:

Maybe Soph the vet will fly to Alabama when it's eyeball time! :lol:

Hey! Send the plane ticket, baby, and make it for some time in January!!:lol: My dh is heading your way in November but I don't know if I can tag along. He's going to Huntsville.

I love eyeballs. Key parts: sclera, conjunctiva, cornea, anterior chamber, iris, ciliary body, lens, posterior chamber, vitreous, retina, tapetum lucidum, optic nerve, extraocular muscles (if available). Let me know if you need help!

This one is Blood & Guts - the book's upstairs, so I don't have the author. It actually recommends doing a heart, kidney, and eyeball dissection! Well, not a technical dissection, but finding landmarks and a general sense of how the insides work.

It's Blood and Guts by Linda Allison from the Brown Paper School Book series.

I gave this book to my nephew when he was about nine or ten; he loved it and is now a paramedic. Was it due to the book? Who knows.

Regards,

Kareni

Actually, I'm pulling together some of the old favorites that my eldest used, that I never got to! Mostly individual titles from Sonlight science that I loved.

Let me know if I can be of any more help. :001_smile:

Oh, good! It's on my shelf! Thanks for the recommendation!