Menu

student planners

I totally asked this last year but now I'm sorting through them again and would love to see more options.

Must be secular, include a monthly calendar and a weekly two page spread. The weekly must include Saturday and Sunday as we don't always take our "weekend" on those days.

The Plum Paper student planner is nice, $31 is a lot for a yearly planner.

This past year, we've had the Blue Sky one and it's okay, but the price was a little higher this year - $20 - and for that price, I'm wondering if there's other options out there.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sky-Academic-Monthly-Planner/dp/B01C3A8FDI/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1464305056&sr=8-10&keywords=blue+sky+student+planner

I'm willing to buy a printable one if it's reusable from year to year, but not otherwise.

Suggestions?

Oh, and why must so many planners be so girly. My boys don't mind slightly girly looks, but they'd rather have something more masculine than a pink flowery cover. Honestly, if something's too girly for *me* then I know they won't like it. Sigh.

• Like 3

I'd really like to get something soonish... Ours end at the end of June and we'll do school during most of July. Since school doesn't start until Labor Day here, the Back to School sales usually aren't out until mid August.

I've used planners from urthemom.com for several years and they've worked very well for my kids. It's easy to fill in with their work and easy to see what they have done and what still needs to be done. :)

I try to buy them on sale -the price has gone up since when I first bought them - but these planners have been worth it for me. Also, we only used the k-8 planners.

Student Planners K-8

High School planners

I've included links as her site is goofy and it's hard to find the planners  - why don't people know how to make their website easy to navigate?!

I'm using this one for my rising 9th grader:

http://www.amazon.com/2016-2017-Academic-Planner-Management-Students/dp/B008VV0DC0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s02

I like that it has time blocks for after school. The only problem is that she will be doing a few semester long classes and so we'll have to edit the column along the side. The front and back cover is plastic (not just coated cardstock) so it looks durable but DD was initially disappointed that she would't be able to doodle on the front.  :001_rolleyes:   There's a pocket in the back as well. 

This is for my rising 7th grader:

http://www.amazon.com/Undated-Student-Organizer-Middle-SO-8/dp/B00Q4Z946G?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s02

It looks a lot like a teacher's lesson planner but offers plenty of room for him to write stuff in, and a double pocket at the back.  It really is a student planner though, written to the student! Cover is a little less durable than the one above but the price was right.

Bloom Academic Planners are $14 and meet all your requirements. There's space on the monthly view for monthly goals and notes, two-page week spreads that include the weekends, it has monthly tabs, and it's secular. Most of the covers are feminine, but I think the lattice stamp one is gender neutral enough. If you wait a little while, Amazon will stock the ones for the new academic year and you can order it with free shipping.

Edited by Epicurean

One thought about ones you have to print:  You can reuse parts of it, just replacing the dated calendar pages. I use one that I have from 2011-12 school year.  I can reprint the pages I like from it like the ones to list school work and other pages. There are plenty of non dated weekly school pages and lesson planning pages.  I just can't reprint actual dated pages like the calendar pages. 

I use a 3 ring binder as my dd's planner.  This makes it less likely for her to lose.  It is as big as her school books.  Smaller ones she could never keep up with. Then I just photocopy my calendar pages at the beginning of each month that are already filled in and give her a copy and one to dh.  That way they can both see the big picture of our family life, highlight the things that apply specifically to them, and still add to it with a pen as things come up. And everyone is looking at the same one.  Just thought I would share what I am doing for this coming year for dd.

I get teacher planbooks for my kids. There's more room to write and no silly sidebar stuff. We've used House of Doolittle and Elan w101 before and would again. There's no block assigned to the weekend, but there is an extra notes block that could be used as such.

Yep.  I like the Teacher's Plan book from Continental Press.  It doesn't have Saturday and Sunday, but you could use the "Notes" column for that.  It has nice big blocks for writing in.  

Target.com has this one for $9.99. It comes in a blue check and an orange stripe, so you could get two different designs.

http://www.target.com/p/planner-blue-sky-red-navy/-/A-50486854

DD uses one of these type of planners from Target every year and really likes it. We just saw the display of next year's planners at the store. I suggested to DD that we buy one, but she just looked really exasperated and told me we couldn't buy a new planner until we at least had a couple weeks of summer break. ;-)

My teen uses the Plum Paper ME planner. Not the student planner. This allows him a full year, includes Saturday & Sundays, allows him ample note space, places for book lists, & more. If you catch them on a sale or use a discount code you can do fairly well. Recently for Mother's day they had 50% off everything for 1 hour. Sadly, we didn't get to cash in on that. They had another sale on Memorial Day, etc.

Personally, it's worth it because it's exactly what we need. You can add to it, take away from it, pick your own cover, & even change the colours on the cover. I find it a win-win. If I didn't order it I'd spend hours making one for him, & I got really tired of doing that.

Target.com has this one for $9.99. It comes in a blue check and an orange stripe, so you could get two different designs.

http://www.target.com/p/planner-blue-sky-red-navy/-/A-50486854

So, I snagged these at Target the other day. Much cheaper and they're a slightly different look, but same layout and brand as the ones we had and thought were okay this year. Thanks! I wouldn't have known to look for them there. In the past, I had trouble finding one at Target that worked for us.

I'm late to this thread, but in case anyone else is looking for planners I'll go ahead and post. These planners can also be found on Amazon, but here is their main website. They are very inexpensive. I bought the undated ones a few years back for around $3 each. http://www.successbydesign.com/planners/middle-school-planners.html

The Blue Sky Target ones are pretty.

I'm late to this thread, but in case anyone else is looking for planners I'll go ahead and post. These planners can also be found on Amazon, but here is their main website. They are very inexpensive. I bought the undated ones a few years back for around $3 each. http://www.successbydesign.com/planners/middle-school-planners.html

The Blue Sky Target ones are pretty.

Love these! Just ordered on Amazon. Thanks for link.

I get teacher planbooks for my kids. There's more room to write and no silly sidebar stuff. We've used House of Doolittle and Elan w101 before and would again. There's no block assigned to the weekend, but there is an extra notes block that could be used as such.

We use one like these and keep a separate monthly calendar "booklet" that I make from printed google calendar pages. I take large card stock for the cover, fold everything in half and glue the first month down just on the left half. Then I fold that page closed and glue the left page of the next month to the back of the right side of the last month. That way the month lays flat when open. I can just glue a fresh month over the top if I make so many updates can't read it, it is mostly current with my google calendar and calendar feeds from sports, etc, can be printed instead of hand written. I only do 3-4 months out at a time. I like this because I can have both the month and week laying open at the same time.

I also can add any other 81/2 by 11 page, like work schedules, the same way. Dd can have one in her planner and I add one to my bullet journal. I print a week view and keep it on the fridge.

This is another with room for weekends:http://www.amazon.com/Undated-Student-Organizer-Middle-SO-8/dp/B00Q4Z946G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465039652&sr=8-1&keywords=elan+student+planner

and this has a room that could be used for weekend.

http://www.amazon.com/Teachers-Planner-Lesson-Peter-Pauper/dp/144131573X?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

I made a Student Planner for mine. These are for kids who need more daily hand-holding with time management.

It's all undated.

It has a weekly routine and subject assignment planners in the front so the kids can learn to check off things from the subject planner as they go, and write the next assignment in on their daily lists.

The daily pages are timed so kids can see that if they start early, they finish early. If they start too late, or take too long of a potty break, their work will extend beyond the normal time for school.

This gives them a tool to take more freedom & responsibility in planning their own work schedule.