Menu

Summer reading between 8th-9th grades?

I recently started a thread on this topic, but nobody answered. :nopity:

Here were some of my ideas (from that post):

(Independent reading)

Various Jeeves and Wooster books

In the Shadow of Man (Goodall) (she loves animals...will likely major in biology in college)

The Beekeeper's Apprentice (King)

Hope Was Here (Bauer)

Timeline (Crichton) (she's already read Andromeda Strain and Jurassic Park -- loved them)

A Walk to Remember (Sparks) 

???

I can't decide on a read aloud, though.  Here are a couple ideas:

The Scarlet Pimpernel

The Great Gatsby

The Pearl

The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax (ok, not technically a classic, but fun, right?)

So what are you planning?  I'd love to hear....

• Like 2

I have a rising 10th grader. His assigned summer reading is:

How the Irish Saved Civilization

A Briefer History of Time : From the Big Bang to the Big Mac

and

an HG Wells selection (either the Time Machine or War of the Worlds)

That's all I'm requiring, I prefer he also have time for pleasure reading.

I have a rising 9th grader.   I have a list of high school reading from an older SAT prep course by Stobaugh that is recommended by the MFW high school curriculum, and we are slowly working through it.   Most of the books are classic high school literature.   I also like to give him books from this list. I typically request one or two "high school reading list" books at a time from our library.

For fun readers, we are working through the Sonlight summer reader lists - middle school readers first, then high school.     I have found that unless I place a request through our library for specific books, the selection for teens (especially teen boys) is not very good.   We are fortunate to have a great library system and can place requests for up to 20 books at a time.

• Like 1

Mine will probably read from Exodus Books Outside of a Dog Summer Reading Program booklist.  The lists are fabulous and provide incentive to read new things (she's a prolific reader already, but the lists are broad and throw things at her she might not otherwise choose.)  She turned into a classic sci-fi junkie after being introduced to Asimov on her list 2 summers ago.

• Like 2

We're doing the Sonlight readers too. We only have a month off right now so I wasn't looking for anything heavy. She's also reading the Marie Lu books.

Shannon is reading Cal Newport's Deep Work, and a creative writing book.  I'm reading Voyage of the Beagle aloud and will continue over the summer.  I really, really want her to read A Sand County Almanac and will probably assign that as summer reading.  I'm not going to assign any lit over the summer, I don't think. She's making noises about wanting to pick some of the classics off the shelf and tackle them in the summer when she has more free time, so I'm going to leave that door open and see where it goes. If it doesn't happen, I may ask her to pick one off a stack.  Jane Eyre, or Pride & Prejudice, or a Dickens, or something like that.

As far as pleasure reading, she's finishing up David Eddings' last series, The Tamuli, and waiting impatiently for the latest Brandon Sanderson novel to come from the library.  She wants a meaty fantasy series to read over the summer, which may be another Sanderson series, or may end up being The Wheel of Time.  That would keep her out of trouble for awhile!

We're doing a long road trip in August and I'm trying to pick a good audio book for us to listen to together. We did Treasure Island last time, and we all enjoyed it.  I'm thinking maybe either The Three Musketeers, or Great Expectations.  Any other ideas for a good family road trip audio book for dh, me, dds 13 and 10?

Shannon is reading Cal Newport's Deep Work, and a creative writing book.  I'm reading Voyage of the Beagle aloud and will continue over the summer.  I really, really want her to read A Sand County Almanac and will probably assign that as summer reading.  I'm not going to assign any lit over the summer, I don't think. She's making noises about wanting to pick some of the classics off the shelf and tackle them in the summer when she has more free time, so I'm going to leave that door open and see where it goes. If it doesn't happen, I may ask her to pick one off a stack.  Jane Eyre, or Pride & Prejudice, or a Dickens, or something like that.

As far as pleasure reading, she's finishing up David Eddings' last series, The Tamuli, and waiting impatiently for the latest Brandon Sanderson novel to come from the library.  She wants a meaty fantasy series to read over the summer, which may be another Sanderson series, or may end up being The Wheel of Time.  That would keep her out of trouble for awhile!

We're doing a long road trip in August and I'm trying to pick a good audio book for us to listen to together. We did Treasure Island last time, and we all enjoyed it.  I'm thinking maybe either The Three Musketeers, or Great Expectations.  Any other ideas for a good family road trip audio book for dh, me, dds 13 and 10?

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea?

• Like 1

My rising 9th grader has so far read The Lions of Little Rock and King Arthur, and he just started on Robin Hood, but I'm going to ask him to read A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court first. He's also interested in reading The Lord of the Flies and The Time Traveller's Guide to Medieval England (which dh just read and I've just started). I don't really care what he reads as long as he reads. I've promised him his own 1/2 gallon of ice cream for each 1000 pages he reads. ;) He has a pretty big box of books from the Battle of the Books middle & high school lists from the past couple of years, so I'm encouraging him to pick through that. I've also suggested the Wool saga by Hugh Howey and The Martian by Andy Weir.

Edited by ondreeuh

dd14 is finishing up the The Lord of the Rings Trilogy.  I want to assign her a book on Marco Polo/Silk Road, but I haven't found one that I am sold on yet.  Ideas?

Maybe this one?  The illustrations are truly beautiful, and it does provide some background info, maps, etc. that help create context & interest.

• Like 1

Any other ideas for a good family road trip audio book for dh, me, dds 13 and 10?

When my daughter was a young teen, we enjoyed listening to the Hobbit on one car trip.  We also enjoyed Dracula.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1