Menu

Recommend an awesome algebra curriculum?

My boys have done Math Mammoth and are finishing up. It's takes kids into pre algebra. So now I need to find an algebra curriculum.

The kids will be in 8th grade in Sept.

Is there a great one (I'm hoping). I'm not a math whiz, but dh is thank goodness.

Also, if you recommend a curriculum: can you give it's full name versus a nickname? I get easily confused! :)

Any help is very appreciated.

Alley

My boys have done Math Mammoth and are finishing up. It's takes kids into pre algebra. So now I need to find an algebra curriculum.

The kids will be in 8th grade in Sept.

Is there a great one (I'm hoping). I'm not a math whiz, but dh is thank goodness.

Also, if you recommend a curriculum: can you give it's full name versus a nickname? I get easily confused! :)

Any help is very appreciated.

Alley

I LOVE Foerster's Algebra 1 book.  I've used it for 3 dd now and they all have a great algebra foundation.

• Like 2

We went from Math Mammoth to Art of Problem Solving (AoPS).  I also own the Foerster books and would agree that it is a fabulous choice, as well (and probably easier to implement.)  Math Without Borders has  instructional videos to accompany the Foerster text, if you are looking for more teaching support.

We found Math Mammoth to be an excellent preparation for algebra.

HTH.

• Like 3

Visit the pinned math thread on the high school board:  http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/542418-homeschool-high-school-math/

Following MM, Foerster is an excellent choice.  Other good choices include Jacobs, Dolciani, AoPS.  What will be the best fit depends on your students.

I own all of these.  LOL  

All seem really good to me, but which one will fit well for your kids would be hard to say.  Honestly, though, I think you might look at Foerster's first since you can get the Math Without Borders support videos.

http://mathwithoutborders.com/

• Like 4

If you do Art of Problem Solving, you might need to start with Pre-Albegra, it is pretty intense. Take a look at the samples and the online videos, there are online videos for all of Pre-Algebra. Also, I asked if I needed the solution manual, and everyone, even math and physics and engineering folks, said yes.

If you do Art of Problem Solving, you might need to start with Pre-Albegra, it is pretty intense. Take a look at the samples and the online videos, there are online videos for all of Pre-Algebra. Also, I asked if I needed the solution manual, and everyone, even math and physics and engineering folks, said yes.

I agree that at least some time spent with Alcumus on the pre-algebra topics would be time well spent.

We went from Math Mammoth to Lial's Pre-Algebra (kind of a waste of time-after MM it was pretty redundant) to AoPS Algebra.  I owned the AoPS Pre-Algebra book, too, and we went through 2 of the chapters before starting the Algebra book- chapters 2 and 9? I think?. 

I also agree on the necessity of having the solutions manual.

• Like 1

I own Foerster Algebra, Chalkdust Algebra, and used to own Jacobs. I use none of these and instead am using (and liking) Prentice Hall Algebra (2011).  We are nearly halfway through and my only complaint is errors in the answer key. I bought the kit from RR. It's easy to teach from, includes plenty of practice, has a CD with practice and reteaching worksheets, tests, cumulative reviews, etc. I plan on staying with the series through Alg. 2.

We're a Chalkdust, Teaching Textbooks & Thinkwell family.  Fwiw, my college girl is in the sciences & doing very well in math. 

I think a lot depends on how your child likes to learn. For us, video instruction was key. I know the subject but prefer to be tutor than instructor, kwim? 

I started with Jacob's, but dd14 is easily discouraged by math and repetition. She is now using Crocodiles and Coconuts, which is the sequel to Jousting Armadillos.  DS12 is using Jousting Armadillos for pre-A, and dd14 will hopefully move on to Chuckles the Rocket Dog soon.

(I just realized JA could also  be the initials for Jacobs Algebra. Was that intentional on the author's part? I know he based JA and its sequels on Jacob's...).

Of course, my dd couldn't handle the repetition in MM, either. Jacob's is a good book, and you can find it used for less than  JA and sequels.

• Like 1

You want awesome? Art of Problem Solving!

I read about AoPS here all the time but I don't really know anything about it besides everyone referring to it as high level. Can you tell me more about it and what makes it so awesome? We're currently revamping our high school math plan so I'm interested in all of this too!

I read about AoPS here all the time but I don't really know anything about it besides everyone referring to it as high level. Can you tell me more about it and what makes it so awesome? We're currently revamping our high school math plan so I'm interested in all of this too!

What makes it awesome is the JOY. It radiates from every page how excited the author is about math, and the enthusiasm is infectious. This is in stark contrast to another math program I have used that had a math-is-good-for-you-now-swallow-your-cod-liver-oil approach that was dry and uninspiring. AoPS approaches math problems as interesting, enjoyable puzzles, as in "let's play with this and see what happens".

The program is discovery based. The student is given several problems to solve which are designed to build progressively on each other and to lead the student to discover a concept or principle. The solutions to the problems are then discussed in detail in the book, and the concept/theory/principle is extracted and explained. Whatever can be derived or proved is derived/proved, except for relationship whose proof would require higher math than the student has available. At the end of each section is a set of exercises where the student has to think about applying the new principle. None of these can be done by rote memorization; they are all slightly different and require the student to think how to apply what he learned. Some are quite challenging - even for an adult with advanced math education.

The books are written to the student and designed to be used without a teacher,

I have used AoPS Intro to Algebra (the prealgebra book was not yet out) with DS at age 12 and DD at age 13, and we stayed with the series through high school. 

Absolutely awesome - but not a good fit for every student.

ETA: check out their website; they have sample pages from their books.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 5

What makes it awesome is the JOY. It radiates from every page how excited the author is about math, and the enthusiasm is infectious. This is in stark contrast to another math program I have used that had a math-is-good-for-you-now-swallow-your-cod-liver-oil approach that was dry and uninspiring. AoPS approaches math problems as interesting, enjoyable puzzles, as in "let's play with this and see what happens".

The program is discovery based. The student is given several problems to solve which are designed to build progressively on each other and to lead the student to discover a concept or principle. The solutions to the problems are then discussed in detail in the book, and the concept/theory/principle is extracted and explained. Whatever can be derived or proved is derived/proved, except for relationship whose proof would require higher math than the student has available. At the end of each section is a set of exercises where the student has to think about applying the new principle. None of these can be done by rote memorization; they are all slightly different and require the student to think how to apply what he learned. Some are quite challenging - even for an adult with advanced math education.

The books are written to the student and designed to be used without a teacher,

I have used AoPS Intro to Algebra (the prealgebra book was not yet out) with DS at age 12 and DD at age 13, and we stayed with the series through high school. 

Absolutely awesome - but not a good fit for every student.

ETA: check out their website; they have sample pages from their books.

Thanks! That's the first description I've heard of it that made it sound enchanting rather than terrifying. :)

Thanks! That's the first description I've heard of it that made it sound enchanting rather than terrifying. :)

:lol:

I struggle with math, I really do, but AoPS takes math from a very different approach.  If you are willing to shift your perspective and see this as an adventure, a challenging adventure requiring time and effort, it really can be an amazing experience.  I guess it would be kind of like eating fish sticks as opposed to getting in a boat on a lake with beautiful trees and water so you can catch and cook your own fish.   Takes longer, takes more work, but it can be infinitely more fulfilling.  Certainly not for everyone but it can be a very rich/fun experience.  

DS and I were slowly working through the Pre-Algebra version on the side (he wasn't ready for it as a main program) because it was so much more interesting than a standard math program.  He needed the review/repetition/clearly laid out no nonsense pages of our main math program but having this on the side kept math a LOT more interesting.  We have put it aside for a bit but intend to return to it in the Fall.

• Like 5

I own all of these.  LOL  

All seem really good to me, but which one will fit well for your kids would be hard to say.  Honestly, though, I think you might look at Foerster's first since you can get the Math Without Borders support videos.

http://mathwithoutborders.com/

To me this is the best option and the one I am going to use. It is affordable, and Math Without Borders makes the teaching less painful for the kids.

• Like 1

AOPS has been great for my oldest. I wish we would have found it sooner when we were beginning his upper level math journey.

But my younger ones would shrivel up and die with the discovery approach for math. Even hearing my older DS talk about how AOPS approaches math problems makes my younger DS shrink back in horror lol

We used Video Text for Algebra I & II and were very very happy with it. Even my older DS used it before we found AOPS and he's been well prepared.

Based on those suggestions and reviews, we tried Videotext. It would have been phenomenal for me as a learner, I adored the philosophy and methodology but it wasn't well suited to DD (and probably wasn't well suited to her maturity level at the time, but live and learn....). AoPS was a clear winner a year or two later.

The Holt series has worked very well for us: Algebra, Geometry, and Algebra 2. 

Older dd did some AoPS algebra as well, but it became too stressful for her as a main text, because progress can be somewhat erratic and I didn't really have the math mojo to predict how long certain sections might take her. I was fine with just taking however much time, but she was not, and she finished up with something else and then moved on to Holt for a year, year and a half. 

She went back to AoPS this year (Counting and Probability, Number Theory) and will be using the series to prep for college calculus in the fall. 

Younger dd has done Holt Algebra 1 and Geometry.  I am hoping she will do at least some AoPS this coming year, but Holt will serve very well if she does not. If she tests out of a portion of Algebra 2, that would give us a bit of extra time. At the least, she often helps big sis study, so she might get some in that way! 

We use the 2007 Holt series. Video lessons are readily available on DVD and online, or at least they were last time I checked. My kids never used the videos, but some students really like them. 

I own Foerster's, Dolciani and AoPS and the approach each takes is so so different. Dolciani is no-fuss, procedural and rigorous.

Foerster's is slighter more wordy than Dolciani and heavy on applied math. Both of these are conventional and traditional 'reference' books although personally, I prefer Foerster's over Dolciani.

IMhO, AoPS is the most loquacious of the three, elaborately explains concepts(more so than Foerster or Dolciani) and tends to hit them at unconventional and interesting angles.  For eg-The end of chapter problems are likely to be sourced from math competitions like AMC8/10.

DD uses Foerster's as a spine, but leans on AoPS often for its detailed and clear explanations.

My son used Jacobs Algebra last year. I downloaded the (free) parent test booklet from the Ask Dr. Callahan website and used their problem assignments and tests. My son enjoyed the book and learned well from it. Since he's young, I'm doing a second pass with Art of Problem Solving Intro to Algebra in 7th. He did their Prealgebra book and enjoyed it. Those books are HARD though.

I also own Foerster and like that too. I just went with Jacobs because of the age of my student. Foerster has some humor in the word problems, but not necessarily humor my son would recognize.

Dolciani would also be good. I used the Prealgebra book at times to give more practice in topics he struggled with in AoPS Prealgebra.

And note that the books designed for public schools have waaaaaay more problems than you need to do, so please don't make your child do them all. When I was in school, we usually did all odds or all evens (depending whether the teacher wanted to allow us to check our own answers in the back of the book or not). Some of these books have a ton of problems available. That's good in case you need more practice in a topic - you can go back and do the ones you didn't do previously. ;)