Menu

High School level writing with IEW...

We have been using Fix-It Grammar and it is a good fit for DD.  We were dabbling with IEW and DD likes it, too, but we have not actually dug far into the program for various reasons (other messy fish to fry).  She will be in 10th grade technically this coming year so now I am wondering if I should use the IEW TWSS-B, which I already have and will be using with DS, or should I borrow TWSS-C from a local homeschooler that thinks she may be willing to lend it to me at the end of the summer?

When I called IEW to figure out which level for my dd13, they said the determining factor of which to use is reading level. Level B would work, but they suggested I get C due to her reading level. BUT, if you're going to teach them at the same time, they say  "shoot for the middle", in which case it would seem like B is the answer here, particularly because you already have it. You could just move her through at a faster pace if you chose. 

I remember speaking with IEW once about SWI levels. Apparently you can use B but download the C worksheets from their website. Or was it B with the A worksheets? The methodology should be the same but the source pages are different. You may want to call and ask though, just to make sure.

I used to have both. I wish I still did. Are you talking about the second video of B? The continuation course? Sorry I can't do acronyms at the best of times, and i haven't had enough coffee to try. IEW has a lot of acronyms!

B and C were pretty similar. Perhaps you could do B now, and pick and choose what parts of C to do when it is available? I think it was section 8.. Report writing? I would probably do that in both levels. Other than that, you could look at the difference in teachers pages to see if there would be anything else. Could you borrow her teachers notes for a weekend and look at the differences?

• Like 1

I used to have both. I wish I still did. Are you talking about the second video of B? The continuation course? Sorry I can't do acronyms at the best of times, and i haven't had enough coffee to try. IEW has a lot of acronyms!

B and C were pretty similar. Perhaps you could do B now, and pick and choose what parts of C to do when it is available? I think it was section 8.. Report writing? I would probably do that in both levels. Other than that, you could look at the difference in teachers pages to see if there would be anything else. Could you borrow her teachers notes for a weekend and look at the differences?

Talking about the primary writing program, not the continuation.  The person I would be borrowing it from is still using it and is pretty...cagey?  Erratic?  I am hesitating to borrow anything from her, actually.  Since I already have B I was going to use that but thought that C might have things specifically for High School that DD will need.  The woman I was going to borrow C from had said she would lend it to us in the fall.  Then she said she might lend it to us.  Then she said she would give it to us or sell it at a big discount.  Then she was back to lending it to us...

Hmmm. You may not be able to count on getting C :). Perhaps you could do B , then for the continuation course buy C. If I remember correctly, you can do a different level of the continuation. I would call IEW too, maybe they have some ideas. They used to sell the teachers pages for A B C on a yellow cd rom that came with the program , so you could make copies of all of the levels. Maybe they would sell you one? There was an active yahoo group a few years back in which the IEW staff would answer questions . Jill Pike (homeschool mom and IEW employee) was super helpful as she had kids that learned differently .

HTH

Edited by Silver Brook
  • Like 1