Menu

Rules of the Game and Stewart English

Would any of you who have used either program be willing to post about your experiences? 

I've been using CLE LA for about 3 years, and the lessons are getting quite lengthy and tedious for ds' adolescent brain. He's always been a good student in grammar, and he usually doesn't have many grammatical errors in his writing. I don't want to give up a formal grammar study until high school and even then will continue ACT/SAT practice workbooks. I looked through an Easy Grammar Plus book, and there were just a few topics he has not learned yet.  I think a change of pace might be good for him, so I looked at these two programs. 

If I did Stewart, I would start with the first book. Rules of the Game looked like I might could go straight to the second book. 

Any experience shared would be greatly appreciated!

I decided I would add links for those who want might be interested. 

Rules of the Game

Stewart English (book 1 of 3)

Edited by mom31257

My teens both used Stewart English, but I've no experience with the other one you mentioned.

We used it when they were just done with R&S. I don't mean they finished the series. I mean they felt like it was sooo repetitive and they knew what it was teaching inside out and backwards. I wanted them to do a wrap up instead of just dropping grammar, and handed them Stewart English. My oldest started with book 2 and did fine.The second one started with book 1. She had the skills to start with book 2, but she would have balked at the maturity of it. As it is she only finished book 1 and I gave up the fight. Somewhere grammar knowledge just has to be enough. *shrug*

The lessons are very straightforward. Read the instructions, do the exercises. Easy to understand. Thorough explanations. The exercises are generally well written, and use samples from good authors. It's interesting, as far as a grammar book can go, and doesn't talk down at all. I have no complaints. My rising 8th grader may get book 1 this year instead of finishing up AG. We're undecided at the moment.

• Like 1

I enjoyed Rules of the Game a lot! We used all three books from 4th to 7th grade. It's been a while and I can't remember the details, but I remember really liking it. I have a degree in linguistics and get a little picky, but it was good stuff.

• Like 1

I enjoyed Rules of the Game a lot! We used all three books from 4th to 7th grade. It's been a while and I can't remember the details, but I remember really liking it. I have a degree in linguistics and get a little picky, but it was good stuff.

Did you use anything after this program?