Menu

Catholics-Connecting with History?

Meadowlark

Here I am again...desperately trying to find a good fit for history. I just can't find ANYbody who uses this and likes it. If you use/have used it, I'd love to chat about the specifics. Thanks.

I'm confused. What are you talking about? Whose history? What period? Which Catholics?

Sent from my K011 using Tapatalk

I tried volume 1 before it was updated. I need something with a clear daily schedule that beaks everything into small bites, and the first version didn't do that. It was the most I ever spent on curriculum since I bought all the books, so it was my worst miss ever. But I have used many of those books over the years in my own way. Hopeully, the new editions are more clearly laid out for people like me.

I tried volume 1 before it was updated. I need something with a clear daily schedule that beaks everything into small bites, and the first version didn't do that. It was the most I ever spent on curriculum since I bought all the books, so it was my worst miss ever. But I have used many of those books over the years in my own way. Hopeully, the new editions are more clearly laid out for people like me.

I've heard that quite a bit from people-that it wasn't clearly laid out. I really wonder if the new daily lesson plans would solve that problem, but I can't find anybody whose used it recently. I agree, it's a huge chunk of money and I'm very hesitant to put my eggs in one basket. 

I tried Connecting With History a while back and was not impressed at all - in fact I returned it. You can do a lot better.

Resources:

Mater Amabilis

Memoria Press

not explicitly Catholic but we use Memoria extensively.

or supplementing with Classically Catholic Memory

We also use Sonlight  (definitely not Catholic) and change some of the books. There is a Catholic Sonlight Yahoo group that helps to decide what to change.

We have also uses parts of Catholic Heritage Curriculum

and Seton Homeschool

Edited by Vida Winter

I've never used it, but have referenced the book lists & added some of their choices to my middle grades history studies. I think the idea was good, but I couldn't see it working for me. (I tweak too much anyway.)

No one I know has ever actually been able to use it. A few moms bought it one year. Two of them sold it practically untouched. Another's eldest kid read all the books over the summer & declared herself "done."  :huh:

• Like 2

I bought Volume 1 several years ago, but didn't end up using their lesson plans, which had very little for younger children. 

For ancient history, we ended up just reading the Fr. Lovasik children's bible and most of SOTW1, and using the CWH books as a supplement.  My children were so interested in the subject that we ended up reading most of the CWH "logic stage" books as well... and some of the SOTW recommendations... and some books we found at the library sale... etc.   It was fun, but expensive, and now we have a ton of books that I can't decide what to do with.  

I'm going to try to go fairly minimalist the next time around.  Just a good narrative textbook, a few works of "real literature" (such as Fabiola) to read aloud, a small selection of interesting children's books and coloring pages, and some ideas for projects.   Making models of the Nile river, and a Roman road, were big hits here.   :001_smile:

• Like 1

I tried Connecting With History a while back and was not impressed at all - in fact I returned it. You can do a lot better.

Resources:

Mater Amabilis

Memoria Press

not explicitly Catholic but we use Memoria extensively.

or supplementing with Classically Catholic Memory

We also use Sonlight (definitely not Catholic) and change some of the books. There is a Catholic Sonlight Yahoo group that helps to decide what to change.

We have also uses parts of Catholic Heritage Curriculum

and Seton Homeschool

I was afraid this is what I would find.

You cannot teach True Catholicism using materials pledging loyalty to the simulacrum Church.

See BetrayedCatholics.com if you need my explanations why.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

You cannot teach True Catholicism using materials pledging loyalty to the simulacrum Church.

Hmm.  I'm curious if you actually care at all about the answer to your question, or if you simply used it as a ruse to plug your subscription-based website...  

Several of the recommendations you (rather rudely) dismissed are solid Catholic options- Mater Amibilis and CCM being the ones I remember offhand.   

Very few people seem to find RC history a usable, well-organized resource.  

Not using RC History is not going to lead to the downfall and betrayal of the Faith.  

You have posted only twice now, both times in this thread.  I will be charitable and pretend for a moment that I don't think this is just a ridiculous way to get hits for your rather difficult to read website (I tried to read a few pages... it was virtually incomprehensible).  So in that vein, I will say that on this board, when you post a "Catholic question", the women who come in to answer are the ones who are generally devout, practicing Catholics who are trying to provide a Catholic education in a world that is fallen.  Sometimes in that fallen world, some women choose to use protestant and secular resources because there just aren't good Catholic options.  This is a question of conscience that a Catholic mother has the right to make for her family.  

ETA:  Your question was about history anyway.  No one here is suggesting you use protestant resources to teach about the Faith?  This entire post is a real h head scratcher for me...

Edited by Monica_in_Switzerland
  • Like 2

Monica, I think it's important to note the bigger picture.   This poster evidently thinks that Catholics ought to be disloyal to what she calls the "simulacrum church" -- which, I'm assuming, means the one that's led by the Pope in Rome, accepts Vatican II as a valid council, etc.   Her opinions about homeschooling curricula would be secondary to that. 

There are quite a few breakaway groups that purport to be the "true church," all contradicting one another.  (The Smoke of Satan by Michael Cuneo is a somewhat interesting scholarly book on the subject.)    I don't know which one this person belongs to, and it doesn't matter for the purposes of this thread, except to say that her definition of "Catholic" is an idiosyncratic one, not the one that's assumed in everyday discussion.

• Like 1

Thank you so very much for your opinion. Please no one visit this web site.

• Like 2