Menu

workbook curricula for middle school

Hi,

I will be homeschooling my soon to be 8th grade daughter soon. She has been attending a private school for the last 2 years, and we are bringing her home for 8th and high school. Although she likes to read, she is not interested in literature based curricula. Honestly, she is more of a worksheet/workbook sort of person. She loves to learn visually as well, but she doesn't do well with online curriculum for all subjects. She will use an online program for math, so I am looking for suggestions for history, science and grammar/writing.

For US history, I am going to use Critical Thinking Company's US History Detective workbooks for 8th next year (plus some extra reading). These have some good reviews and have a couple of recent threads about them.

Would you consider textbooks? Such as Rod and Staff English?

• Like 2

CLE has a US/American History for 8th grade. I haven't used it, but I have read good things and am thinking of it for my son in 8th.

https://www.clp.org/store/by_course/80

Some workbook based grammar choices would be CLE Language Arts, Rod and Staff, and Easy Grammar. I think CLE has a 9th grade grammar/LA that some use in 8th grade as a sort of capstone if she's already strong in grammar.

You would want an additional composition program though.  Writing With Skill is written directly to the student, and Well Trained Mind Academy has courses based on those books if you would want someone else to grade and step her through it. I don't know what else is out there workbook wise. 

Science would need added labs if you found a workbook based I think? I've found my son needs more hand holding in science than in other courses for some reason. Maybe it wouldn't be that way if he were in school first though.

• Like 1

If you're Catholic (or don't mind Catholic), you might like Seton English 8 and Composition, Seton History of the United States 8 for Young Catholics, and Seton Life Science for Young Catholics.  

Or Catholic Heritage Curricula Language of God Level G and Light to the Nations: Making the Modern World and Life Science from the Behold and See Series.