Menu

Describe a typical day for your 4th grader?

Here is a typical day for my just-finishing-up fourth grader. All of these times are approximate. 

M-Th

Typing-15 minutes

Mental math-10 minutes

Reads for about 30 minutes

Math lesson with me 20 Minutes

Math practice 30 minutes

Spelling 10 minutes

Writing 30 minutes

History or Science 30 minutes

Lunch

In the afternoon she does projects of her own invention. I help when she asks for it. 

We swim most afternoons as a family and read every night for about an hour.

She reads for pleasure most days and also listens to audio books.

On Fridays we do a big art project, watch a science video, and practice Spanish. 

This has worked really well for us this year. The schedule looks light, but I feel like it has been our best year of school ever. My daughter  seems to thrive with a lot of free time to do her own thing. I have to control myself and not fill us up with a bunch of well intentioned nonsense. 

• Like 8

I had a fourth grader this year.  Times are estimates.  We usually started between 9 and 9:30 am and finished between 2:30 and 3 pm.

4 days a week:

1 hour – Read aloud/reading.  I read 3-4 selections from history, literature, or other works of interest.  Boys and I read from one selection round-robin style.

1 ½ to 2 hours – Seatwork

Daily: math, language arts, and a puzzle (rotation of logic, analogies, dot-to-dot, Greek Code Cracker)

When assigned: civics workbook (fall semester), map work, or music theory/composition

30+ minutes – Break

30 minutes – Lunch and read aloud

30 minutes – Practice piano

30 minutes – Leisure reading

10 minutes – Latin (2 days), music (1 day)

30+ minutes – Science, history, and/or other

5th day:

P.E. [outsourced]

Lunch and read aloud

Art

Break

Piano lesson [outsourced]

He had extracurricular activities 3 evenings a week.

• Like 1

I am not sure if you are more interested in times or curriculum. We have a routine of doing lessons in the morning, then a lunch break, and finishing up by 3 or so in the afternoon. We spend a hour outside most days and usually in the late afternoon. I am teaching four children so my 4th grader often is reading or building or creating while I am working with others.

His curriculum this year:

English 4 - Rod & Staff English

Spelling - I actually used the old Webster's blue back speller this year for spelling which was a fun change.

Math - variety

Greek - We did Memoria Press Greek this year for the NT.

Science - Land Animals from Apologia with the Notebook

Drawn Into the Heart of Reading - Read 30 minutes a day for this and it had some written work with it. Heart of Dakota publication.

Read Aloud - I have read some books aloud from Beautiful Feet, Sonlight, & Heart of Dakota this year.

Bible - I do some in the morning with memory verses. My husband does some in the evening. We also do the Millers some with it - Rod & Staff character books.

I skipped history for him this year formally. Informal history - some of the read aloud books, his older brother who talks about history a fair amount, and Diana Waring CDs in the car.

Thanks for asking. I always feel like I don't do enough & that looks like a fair amount.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone else want to tell me what your 4th graders day looks like?  

I just started and I feel like my schedule is too heavy.       Part of that is that we have a 2 (almost 3 year old) which makes things less efficient.   And the other part is that my oldest son is easily distracted.  

Four Days Per Week, We....

8:00AM-8:30AM-  Morning Time (Bible Devotion, timeline, Latin vocab/chant review)  

8:30AM-9:00AM- Mom Taught Singapore Lesson (older kids combined in 4A) + 15 mins of Time to work in workbook at the end

9:00AM-12:00PM  Morning Rotation-

One older gets one-on-one time with me while the other eats a snack, reads & plays with the toddler, and does some gardening.   Then we switch

4th Grade Son's one-one-one time

1.5 hours- Divided between writing/grammar, vision therapy homework, and ANKI for memory work

12:00PM-1:30PM-Lunch and Cleaning and Playing.  (Oldest often takes forever to do his chores so he gets no time to play.  He is responsible for clearing table and counters, wiping them, and sweeping the kitchen floor.)   

1:30PM-2:00PM-SOTW time (reading, notebook entry, mapping) 

2:00PM-3:00PM-Book Basket / Independent Reading (Send kids to room with a basket of books-fiction, history, or science selections)

3:00PM to whenever they are finished- Independent work*

*Independent Work includes:

typing practice (15 mins)

piano practice (15 mins)

Finish Singapore math workbook page and fix any missed problems (15 mins?)

Xtra Math (5 mins?)

Listen to Shakespeare memory work- (10 mins)

Copywork from Litterature (15 mins) 

Spelling Workbook (15 mins) (3 days per week)

Latin Workbook (1 day per week) 15 mins

Latin copywork (1 day per week) 10 mins

1 Day Per Week is co-op:

We deep clean the house

Geography DVD Lesson & Shepherd Software Map Drills

Latin DVD Lesson

Do a science experiment

Do an art project

Play with Friends

I hardly ever feel like I'm doing enough.  We will be starting 4th grade this fall and here's what I've got planned:

We start around 9am.  I like to do the things we all do together first. 

Grammar (First Language Lessons)

Writing & Rhetoric

Treasured Conversations....... I'm not sure yet if I'll be doing W&R and TC at the same time or what.

All About Spelling

Latin 

Geography 

I imagine this will take us up to lunch time.  After lunch they can do the rest on their own:

Math (CLE)

History (Veritas Press self paced)

Oh and once a week my dad comes and does science with them

Then at some point during the day they practice piano and do 30 minutes of book basket time and 30 minutes of reading pretty much whatever...

Last year we basically had the same schedule and depending on the day, school ended anywhere from 12:30 to 3.

We started back this week and my 4th grader is doing the following:

Power Hour (Bible, Latin or Geography, Picture Study or Music Appreciation or Memory Work, and Content Read Alouds that are rotated) = 1 hour with siblings

Math (30 minutes)

History or Science (30 minutes)

15 minute break

Spanish or grammar (20 minutes)

Writing or literature (20 minutes)

Spelling (10 minutes)

Copy work/Cursive (10 minutes)

Lit for Lunch

Afternoons I set up to be more CM in flavor this year. The only required things in the afternoon are for the girls to do their assigned reading and narrate to me. One day a week they do art with The Virtual Instructor or Home Art Studio, two days a week we go out for some nature study/walk around the neighborhood, one day a week we're getting in the kitchen and I'm teaching each of them some basic kitchen skills and cooking, and one day a week we have poetry teatime. 

The rest of the afternoon is theirs to enjoy and do what they wish, but no screens unless it's educational on the computer (Prodigy math, typing, DIY, Scratch coding, etc.)

The relaxed afternoon lasts until dinner prep time, and then they have to do their household chores while I make supper.

• Like 2

I'll have a 4th grader and worry if it'll be too heavy as well. Here is what's planned:

8-8:20 Religion (online Catholic program)

8:30-9-morning meeting

9-9:15-writing w/ mom

9:15-10:30-Math w/ mom for 30 then read/piano for other 30

10:30-11:30-independent work (CLE LA, finish math, logic, etc)

11:30-12:00-science with family

12-1-lunch/outside

1-1:30/45-history with siblings

1:45-3:00-quiet time (reading for pleasure)

Edited by Meadowlark

My 4th graders day looks something like this:

7-8:30 - morning basket including Bible, Memory work, SOTW1, English from the Roots Up, GSWF, Greek code Cracker

8:30-9:30 - maths using Singapore, Xtramath, and Math Mammoth for review

9:30 - break

10:00 - independent work: A Reason for Handwriting Cursive, Skoldo French, Duolingo French, Abeka Grade 4 science, Ten Girls Who..., Seabird, Practice Speech pieces for upcoming eisteddfod

11:00 - Work with mum on AAS4, WWE3, Grammar, McGuffey Fourth Reader, Prima Latina

12:00 - back to finishing independent work

1:00 - lunch 

After lunch, depending on what day it is, we either have piano, sport, speech and drama, or free for the afternoon.

I just finished my 3rd week with my 2nd 4th grader- don't ask me about my first one b/c I can't remember!!

Saxon 5/4 1 lesson daily- this might take her 30 min- 13 lessons in this is still easy and she is a quick worker

Treasured Conversations- 20ish min maybe- this will increase as the year goes on

History-30 min 4x Wk- she reads and talks to me about it; 1 day- project- 1hr; At the beginning and end of each unit I do RA's & projects for a wk

Science-20 -30 min 2 days ; Nature Study- 1hr+ 1 day; Topical Science-1 hr + 1 day

Lit- she reads from her shelf 30 min; RA- 20ish min daily

Cursive- 10 min daily or 1 page

Spelling- 15 or so min daily w/ test on Friday

ETA- we do 1x a wk poetry time as well, well this week it was 2x b/c they asked for another one. My 4th grader is done before lunch. Her and my 2 younger ones are always playing some made up game, or making some craft they saw on pinterest, or playing outside w/ the animals if the weather is nice. We aim for daily walks in the morning but have fallen out of the habit w/ the warm weather. My 4th grader also likes to bake and sew but she's not been doing much of either lately(although she likes to bake for poetry time), not sure if we're taking a break or we're going to move onto something else. Oh, and also sometimes we do educational movies after/during lunch. I'm reserving some Fridays for getting together w/ friends for field trips, hanging out, projects etc.

Edited by soror

Thanks everyone for posting.   So looking at everyone's schedule, I *think* my 4th grader has a pretty typical work load.   Perhaps what is taking him so long is the fact that for 1.5 hours before lunch, he is toddler-sitting while I work with his sister.....which of course is going to make our days longer.   

Ideally, I would love to have him work on his independent work while I am working with his sister.   However, I don't know if it is realistic to expect my almost 3 year old to play independently for hours while I'm giving my attention to my older kids.  

My 4th grader's schedule looks like this:

--Power Hour - pray, read aloud, bible, memory work, map drill, and a loop subject (either SQUILT, art appreciation, or Shakespeare)... Power Hour is done together with younger siblings.

--Daily work (about 2 hours) we don't do every subject every day - Math, FLL, WWE, Spelling, Reading, Latin, Piano. I get him started on one and then help my 2nd grader with his work and bounce between the two while my ODD plays with my YDD. It has worked pretty well for us so far. There are always interruptions and that's ok.

--Either history or science (also done all together), depending on the day (45 min to 1 hour)

That's all for book work. After history or science the kids have about a 1.5 hour quiet time to read from the book basket or lay down in their beds (or play outside if it's nice). Mama needs quiet! Then begins a few chores and dinner prep.

Edited by Wholesomemomma
  • Like 1

My fourth grader, who tends to have low blood sugar and often feels bad in the morning, would often just read books of her own choosing for the first couple of hours of the day. She did the following after that:

Catechism & Saint stories 3x/week

Math (SM and Evan Moor Daily Math Practice) 4x/wk each

Modern Speller 4x/wk

HWT Cursive 3x/wk

Easy Grammar & Daily Grams 4x/wk

Just Write Books 1&2 3x/wk

CLE Reading or Collier Junior Classics 4x/wk

CHOW 1 or more chapters 1x/wk

Map Skills For Today 1x/wk

Apologia Swimming Creatures 2x/wk

Latina Christiana 4x/wk (done poorly)

Memory Work: world capitals, roots, poetry, MP recitation 4x/wk

Coop enrichment classes 1 day/wk

She gets a late start but is a quick worker so she could easily manage the daily load. She is dysgraphic with a short attention span so that is taken into account.

Edited by Tiramisu

My fourth grader, who tends to have low blood sugar and often feels bad in the morning, would often just read books of her own choosing for the first couple of hours of the day. She did the following after that:

Modern Speller 4x/wk

HWT Cursive 3x/wk

She gets a late start but is a quick worker so she could easily manage the daily load. She is dysgraphic with a short attention span so that is taken into account.

Where do you purchase Map Skills For Today?

Last year I got it from Scholastic and the process was annoying. First I ordered it online; then someone called me to establish an account; then the book took weeks to come; finally I got an invoice and the price was higher than what I had ordered it for online.

This year I purchased a new copy on Amazon Marketplace and I got a beautiful, inexpensive copy within a couple of days.

For some reason, what I got through Scholastic had a very thin magazine-type paper cover that really got beat up, like nearly crumbling into a ball and then falling off. The one I got from Amazon has a thick, sturdy cover, and I don't know why it's different . I definitely prefer the more solid cover and I hope that next year I can find one again.

Map Skills for Today was recommended on a thread here and DD and I both really like it. It's something I'll keep using until we finish the series.

• Like 2

Last year I got it from Scholastic and the process was annoying. First I ordered it online; then someone called me to establish an account; then the book took weeks to come; finally I got an invoice and the price was higher than what I had ordered it for online.

This year I purchased a new copy on Amazon Marketplace and I got a beautiful, inexpensive copy within a couple of days.

For some reason, what I got through Scholastic had a very thin magazine-type paper cover that really got beat up, like nearly crumbling into a ball and then falling off. The one I got from Amazon has a thick, sturdy cover, and I don't know why it's different . I definitely prefer the more solid cover and I hope that next year I can find one again.

Map Skills for Today was recommended on a thread here and DD and I both really like it. It's something I'll keep using until we finish the series.

Ok thanks! After I asked, I went on eBay and found a new copy for $8, including shipping!

And sorry OP I didn't mean to hijack... [emoji85]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Here is a typical day for my just-finishing-up fourth grader. All of these times are approximate. 

M-Th

Typing-15 minutes

Mental math-10 minutes

Reads for about 30 minutes

Math lesson with me 20 Minutes

Math practice 30 minutes

Spelling 10 minutes

Writing 30 minutes

History or Science 30 minutes

Lunch

In the afternoon she does projects of her own invention. I help when she asks for it. 

We swim most afternoons as a family and read every night for about an hour.

She reads for pleasure most days and also listens to audio books.

On Fridays we do a big art project, watch a science video, and practice Spanish. 

This has worked really well for us this year. The schedule looks light, but I feel like it has been our best year of school ever. My daughter  seems to thrive with a lot of free time to do her own thing. I have to control myself and not fill us up with a bunch of well intentioned nonsense. 

What do you use for everything?

But, How does this all fit into your day?   Is she doing this independently?  Do you have other children you are teaching too?  

Modern Speller 4x/wk
HWT Cursive 3x/wk

But, How does this all fit into your day? Is she doing this independently? Do you have other children you are teaching too?

Our day centered around this work getting done but it's not on a timed schedule of any kind. Last year I had an 8th grader home who required me glued to her every moment. But, even without my 8th grader home, my 4th grader needed to be independent by her own necessity. I was always very involved in my three other kids' daily work, but this kid cannot accept my instruction without major frustration on her part. So I spent months choosing resources that she could work through independently and still have reasonable success. It helps that she's very bright and an intuitive learner or I don't know how it could have worked. It's not perfect but it went better than I expected. I look over her work but unless it's a genuine misunderstanding (versus ADHD goofiness), I leave it alone, except math, I'm fussy about math.