Menu

A little worried about my dd in a hostel!! *UPDATE #40

J-rap

in Taiwan.  She's an experienced traveler!  Graduated from college last year and spending a month in Taiwan with a friend, backpacking.  She's at a hostel on some small island, and the management has apparently left for the night.  The hostel has been taken over by about 20 very drunk Brits, mostly men. They were acting completely out of control and treating my dd and friend (mostly friend) horribly with very crude/lude remarks.  My dd was texting me, and said they had just taken her pillow and sleeping bag.  (DD and friend weren't in the dorm room anymore, but were just on their own on some couch trying to get through the night.)  Now I'm not hearing anything and I'm a little worried, but feel completely helpless.  In my earlier texts, I had encouraged her to leave, anywhere, but she said they had absolutely nowhere else to go in the middle of the night (small island, few accommodations and apparently everything else booked.)  

Now I haven't heard anything and of course my mind is wandering to the worst scenarios.  

Edited by J-rap

Hopefully the drunkards have crashed and your dd and friend are managing to grab a few hours of sleep. 

I hope so.  She's a very level-headed and smart traveler.  It's kind of strange that she didn't get back to me kind of in the middle of a text conversation about it...  Hopefully they all just crashed.

• Like 1

Let us know when she gets back in touch! 

Remember that the most likely reasons not to hear from her are the most likely reasons...sleeping, phone ran out of juice etc. 

Yes, usually I think along those lines and don't stress.  This just felt... different.  Thank you though, and I'll let you know. 

• Like 1

Aaack! You must be stressed. Mostl likely, everyone crashed or her phone died. Hopefully she's asleep.

So glad I didn't have texting capabilities when I was in my hosteling days, the worry my mom would have suffered... Eek.

I hope your DD has safely fallen asleep and thus will be chalked up to a night you remember.

• Like 2

I hope she ended up getting some sleep and they didn't bug her. Drunk people, especially aggressive or loud ones, make me extremely uncomfortable and I'd be terrified - doubly so in a foreign country and alone except for a friend.

Praying she is safe and sound!

I bet her charger is back in the dorm room and she didn't want to go back in there to get it. But let us know when you hear from her, all the WTM Aunties are concerned. 

Something like this would be very likely!

• Like 2

I hope all is well.  I spent a night standing in a corridor on a train in France rather than share the sleeping compartment with a couple of guys I didn't trust.  Like your daughter, I was an aware and experienced traveller and all was well.

• Like 1

Thank you so much everybody!!  Your thoughts and prayers meant a lot to me, and I did hear from her during the night-- morning her time, of course.  She and her friend indeed had fallen asleep on the lobby couch and were left alone, and they are out of there.  I'll hear more details later in the day when she finds wifi.

I don't usually worry about stuff like this.  She is pretty bold and capable, but the circumstances just felt scary to me...  a big hostel filled with a crowd of drunk young men who were already acting lewd and kind of crazy toward her and her friend and absolutely no management around all night.

Thankfully, it all turned out okay.  What a relief!  She has about 9 days left in Taiwan, and then we get to see her and hear all of her stories -- hopefully mostly really good ones!!

Thank you again everybody!!

• Like 45

Wonderful news!!! Thank you so much for the update!! I am so glad they are ok and nothing happened. I'm opposite of you, I worry. Regardless of our personalities this was something to worry about. What a relief to hear they are ok! I hope and pray their rest of the trip goes well 😃

• Like 1

phew! 

I wish we could get the cell #s for the troupe Brits so we could ream them out for making the young women uncomfortable and for worrying her mama & us.

Or better yet, get a hold of their moms so they could ream them out.

Edited by hornblower
  • Like 5

Or better yet, get a hold of their moms so they could ream them out.

Drinking age for UK and Taiwan is 18. The youth hostel needs a night guard or a emergency contact number knowing that youths would get drunk.

My home country's drinking age is 18. If youths come back to unversities' hostel drunk and everyone else is asleep, we go wake up the resident fellow to help. It would be weird to call up the parents even if the parents happen to be local.

• Like 2

Drinking age for UK and Taiwan is 18. 

this isn't about drinking age or being drunk. This is about being a jerk. It's not the drinking - it's the making others feel uncomfortable or unsafe that's the problem. 

There was a whole thing on social media a while back where ya & adult men were getting doxed so that their mothers could be contacted about their grossly misogynist/aggressive/harassing bhvr. Now I don't actually agree with doxing people but yanno, if my kid was being a total @#$%^ I'd want to know. 

• Like 3