Menu

Speed Queen washing machines

Rebel Yell

Yeah...HE washers don't do that. They get the clothes damp, then toss them around a bit. You'd be shocked. 

And that's if you're lucky.  When I had a top-load HE washer I would find dry cloth diapers at the end of the cycle.  It had used so little water that the outer diapers had soaked it all up and the middle ones had remained bone dry through a complete "Whites" wash and rinse cycle.

When doing a cloth diaper load I was reduced to jury rigging the door lock so I could dump extra buckets of water into the washer mid-cycle and then running it through two complete wash/rinse cycles plus one more extra rinse at the end.  Even then the diapers were not all that clean or rinsed.

"High efficiency" my tuchus!  Running umpteen cycles to get inadequately clean clothes is not an efficient use of water, energy, clothing life or my time.

Wendy

• Like 4

Amen, Wendy. Amen. 

Add in that the stupid thing takes over an hour to do a freaking whites cycle, and you have even more frustration!!! 

My machine DOES have a "bulky" setting that uses more water, but it agitates less. So it's a toss up. 

I've never personally had an HE washer, but my mom has had 2 in 6 years. I've heard all the HE horror stories and vowed never to get one. So, when my trusty 18 year old machine died, I went straight to buy a Speed Queen. It's basically the only option if you want to replace an ancient reliable washer with something comparable.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Add in that the stupid thing takes over an hour to do a freaking whites cycle, and you have even more frustration!!! 

Exactly!!  One load of diapers used to take 4 hours!!  And not pop them in before bed and they run for 4 hours, but 4 hours of lugging buckets and restarting cycles.

Afterwards, though, they never took long to dry.   :glare:

Wendy

I'm on my second HE front loader and am still in love with them.  The first one lasted about seven years, which I wasn't thrilled with but seems to be about normal for all washers nowadays.  Other than having to do battle with the occasional bad stain our clothes always come out clean and fresh in 25 minutes.  That's the quick cycle, which is what I use almost all the time except I usually wash towels on the normal length cycle (47 minutes).  I have a setting that will add extra water if needed, but it's not something I use much at all.  No need.

So while I kinda really want to work up a lust for a SQ I just can't justify it.  I guess maybe if my front loader died I might go look at a SQ, but we're on a septic system now so I'd have a hard time justifying dumping all that unnecessary water in it.

What is "lots" of water?  I've never had an HE, but every washer I've had just fills up to the top and washes.  How is this different?  Is the machine itself bigger?

When you need a new washer you're going to run into the problem of them not filling. I've never had an HE either, but my old Kenmore (that did fill to the top) was dying and I knew I wanted a washer that would actually clean my clothes. The new regulations make it so you won't be able to buy one that fills all the way. Unless you get a Speed Queen.

When you need a new washer you're going to run into the problem of them not filling. I've never had an HE either, but my old Kenmore (that did fill to the top) was dying and I knew I wanted a washer that would actually clean my clothes. The new regulations make it so you won't be able to buy one that fills all the way. Unless you get a Speed Queen.

OMG. :banghead:

So what they've done is effectively reduced the size of washing machines, because you can only really put in clothes by the amount of water, so you just have all of this unused tub space, right? :angry:

• Like 1

So what they've done is effectively reduced the size of washing machines, because you can only really put in clothes by the amount of water, so you just have all of this unused tub space, right? :angry:

Yep. Makes you want to send a Christmas card to all of the brain trusts in Washington who passed all of the regulations doesn't it. You know- the ones who don't wash clothes because they pay someone else to do it. :)

I notice that the Speed Queen Q and A has a lot of people questioning the small size of the top loader. My question is, can you wash king sized blankets or comforters in the SQ top loader?

King Blanket/quilt definitely yes. Comforter I'm not sure.

I notice that the Speed Queen Q and A has a lot of people questioning the small size of the top loader.  My question is, can you wash king sized blankets or comforters in the SQ top loader?

Of course, I don't know the answer to this, but I will say that the tub was larger than I was expecting when I looked into it. 

Pretty much. 

I do have a bulky setting that will fill it up, but I'm not thrilled with even that setting. 

Oh, and even better? The rinse cycle is a spray rinse. It doesn't refill the tube with water, it just sprays some water over the clothes. Sort of. 

Well and my front load HE seemed to do some voodoo thing before it actually started where it said "sensing" and flipped the clothes around to determine what was actually in there and adjust the water accordingly. So you really couldn't trick it. I viewed it in much the same light as I do low flow shower heads. But at least with those you can YouTube how to remove the restrictor and then it works swell. You can't really do that with a washer. If you could you'd probably make a fortune though.

Yep my washer spends an inordinate amount of time "sensing" while making odd noises and turning the clothes 1/4 turn.  Then it will spray 1/4 cup of water across the top.  And sense some more.  Heaven forbid I find a sock on the floor and want to toss it in the washer.  It has to think about whether it can open the lid or not.  An hour or more later, I may get clean clothes out.  The buyers for our house want my washer and dryer.  So I'm in the market for a new one soon.  I'll be looking at Speed Queen before they are regulated out of existence for having the nerve to fill the tub full of water.  The only thing I like about my current washer is lack of agitator despite being top load and the big capacity. 

• Like 1

And I am more and more thankful that this thread was started this week! Perfectly timed for us. I knew lots of you here were crazy about your SQs, but didn't realize how much a problem the HEs were. We've been overseas forever, and the washers were different anyway, so I didn't realize how much they had changed here. Thanks so much, ladies!

And to the pp who asked about dryers--I'm afraid I didn't even look at reviews, because it's the washer that seems to be more sensitive for me.

Yeah, I have an older high capacity Kenmore, and I'm loving it more and more the longer this convo goes.

My older Kenmore had extra large capacity too. I loved it, until it went bad and then I hated it. It lasted 16 years, though the problems actually started about 2 years ago.