Menu

Speed Queen washing machines

Rebel Yell

HELP!!! Two weeks ago, my 30+yo Whirlpool washer died, and its companion dryer died of a broken heart the following week, but it was revived today by our Fix-it-up Chappy. The washer would cost $250+ to fix, and it has been repaired for $150+ a few times already. Possible motor damage due to some burnt connections... Not completely sure, but heard that before from the same guy.

He recommended a Speed Queen, and said I'd be better off taking my chances on a repair over the cheapest new washers I had my eye on. I hesitate to spend more on a washer than my car is worth, including a full tank of gas 🙄 But I also don't want to buy a $500 piece of junk when I would buy a $900ish machine that will be better made.

So, convince me to buy the Speed Queen? Or fix the dead machine? Or just keep spending $50/week at the laundromat and be done with all the wash in under 45 mins, just drying at home.

Thanks!

I'm a brand new member of the fan club, though I've only had mine for about a month. I got the mid-level one. We bought ours from an independent local appliance store. The sales person said all of them are good. He has the top of the line and admits it's overkill (though if ds was younger and we still were out and about like we once were, I'd appreciate the delay option). 

I had a 16 yo Kenmore and when I needed to replace it I heard many stories about how the newer washers don't use enough water to get clothes clean. Speed Queen is the only exception. That and the constant praise given to the brand by the Hive convinced me to get one. I'm happy with it. 

• Like 2

We'll also be buying a washer and dryer this week. So I have looked online--but which Speed Queen? The ones I seem to be finding are all small (3.3) and I want large (4.5+).

With a family of 7, I do a lot of laundry. We still have the 3.3 and it works for us. I usually do three loads of laundry a day. If I don't, I pay for it when I have to catch up. I have been able to wash our queen sized bedding without a problem. If we had king sized quilts/comforters, I would probably just do them at a laundromat.

• Like 2

I just bought a Speed Queen last month and have been happy with it.  I bought mine from an independent appliance store, too - it was around $700. It's this one   Like Katie said, it can do a load very quickly. Like, 30 minutes and it's done!

I also got the matching dryer which is okay - I wish it had more adjustable temperature settings as it seems to run on the hot side.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that it is so fast that even doing smaller loads you can still be done faster.

I second this. I bought one a little over a month ago and love it. They cycles are 29-30 minutes long. It's three times faster than my HE front loader I ditched. And compared to a front load, a top load of the same capacity actually seems to handle a bit more because a front load is only supposed to be filled a third of the way (at least mine was).

HELP!!! Two weeks ago, my 30+yo Whirlpool washer died, and its companion dryer died of a broken heart the following week, but it was revived today by our Fix-it-up Chappy. The washer would cost $250+ to fix, and it has been repaired for $150+ a few times already. Possible motor damage due to some burnt connections... Not completely sure, but heard that before from the same guy.

He recommended a Speed Queen, and said I'd be better off taking my chances on a repair over the cheapest new washers I had my eye on. I hesitate to spend more on a washer than my car is worth, including a full tank of gas 🙄 But I also don't want to buy a $500 piece of junk when I would buy a $900ish machine that will be better made.

So, convince me to buy the Speed Queen? Or fix the dead machine? Or just keep spending $50/week at the laundromat and be done with all the wash in under 45 mins, just drying at home.

Thanks!

Despite all of the branding, there are actually very few major appliance manufacturers.  The bottom of the line "Roper" I bought several years ago is actually made by Whirlpool, for example. 

Here's a table to show you who actually makes what: http://www.appliance411.com/purchase/make.shtml

• Like 1

I'm another SQ fan club member. I would never have heard of it except for WTM. It's not in big box stores, not in Consumer Reports.

The models are all essentially the same, same size, same options on the dials. I got the middle model, just because I'm a middle model type of consumer, but I needn't have spent the extra $$. The only add on is a toggle switch for an automatic extra rinse, which you can do by moving the dial to 'extra rinse.'

Just get the basic SQ. I still remember my first wash -- 'They're WHITE!!!!' (ds socks).

• Like 1

I had planned on getting the SQ with the knobs, but he sold me the one with the electronic controls for the same price, but a 5 year warranty rather than the 3 year warranty the knob model comes with. The fact that they offer a three or five year IN HOME warranty, says a lot about their quality. My Kenmore was a year and that wasn't even a full warranty- there was some fine print. 

Speed Queen has been one of the best purchases I have EVER made. It is like stepping back in time when a person could buy an appliance, expect to use it for many years to come and experience few repairs at fair prices. Ours is a workhouses. It is very quick and clothes are clean when they come out. There are so few purchases I can say positive things about even years afterwards!

• Like 3

I had planned on getting the SQ with the knobs, but he sold me the one with the electronic controls for the same price, but a 5 year warranty rather than the 3 year warranty the knob model comes with. The fact that they offer a three or five year IN HOME warranty, says a lot about their quality. My Kenmore was a year and that wasn't even a full warranty- there was some fine print.

I did not realize that there was a SQ with electronic controls when I said all the models were essentially the same. sorry!

• Like 1

Card carrying member of the Fan Club. I technically have not purchased the Speed Queen as it's in my rental but oh.my.word. do I love this washer. It works quickly yet it doesn't eat clothes. I'd never had a quick washer that worked well but didn't tear my clothes to shreds. It puts my old HE washer to shame. I can wash so much stuff in one day. It's seriously made laundry so much easier as I also have his friend the dryer. ;) 

Mine has the knobs, fwiw. 

• Like 2

Why did you choose electronic controls?  I've always felt like simple knobs were more reliable.  Is there a benefit to electronic?

• Like 2

How long have people had their SQs?  In looking at it, it looks like an Amana commercial washing machine that I bought years ago because "steel tub and it's commercial and will last forever".  It lasted 7 years under not very heavy use (I only had 1 kid at the time).  Now when I look at Appliance 411, I see that SQ is made by Amana.  Hm.

Why did you choose electronic controls? I've always felt like simple knobs were more reliable. Is there a benefit to electronic?

Because the warranty was two years longer and with the luck I've had with washing machines in the last ten years, I would be thrilled to get five years out of anything. The salesmen told me SQ did that because people were leery of the electronic controls so they upped the warranty to back their quality. Since they make laundromat washers I gave them the benefit of the doubt. If you find an appliance shop that sells them ask about the company history. It's pretty interesting- the politics of washing machine companies and buy outs. It made my string of crappy washers make a lot more sense too.

I'm a little confused. When I read online reviews, they are not as glowing. And also, they say that the new ones had to be changed to meet gov't regulations. Please help me out here--I am planning to go out TODAY to buy. :(

• Like 2

I'm another SQ fan club member. I would never have heard of it except for WTM. It's not in big box stores, not in Consumer Reports.

I heard of it because the brand has been around forever in laundromats. I remember my mother taking large items like big bedspreads and washable area rugs to the laundromat and she always chose one with Speed Queen washers. I don't know when they started making residential appliances, but they've been a commercial provider for years.

Nice! The one I bought was only $100 more than the mechanical one, but both were on sale.

There are only three models of the top load washer.

http://www.speedqueen.com/products/top-load-washers.aspx   (scroll to the bottom to see all three). 

The bottom of the line, which is still a very good washer, has knobs. The other two have electronic controls. There's not a big difference between the mechanical and lower level electronic one. The electronic one has a display telling you how much time is left and has an end of cycle signal, neither of which the mechanical model has. Oddly enough, the mechanical one has a soak cycle but the electronic doesn't. Both have pre-wash, extra rinse, bleach and fabric softener dispensers, and all three models have a variable water level selector.

The top of the line has some cool features but they're just that for me - cool. Not necessary. There's a favorite cycle setting so you can save your favorites (mine defaults to the last cycle used), delay start, more cycles, and a third rinse. The favorite cycles and delay start would be great for busy people or those who work outside the home, but for me they're just cool features not worth paying extra for. I don't need all of the cycles (the top model has nine vs. six for the mid-level and four for the cheapest). I also can't imagine needing a third rinse. It seems to me if I needed to rinse my clothes three times, I probably used too much detergent. Maybe I'm missing something there.

All three models have a true agitator, something hard to find in today's washers. While it's true that old style agitators can be harder on clothes than the newer impeller style, they also clean better (especially when combined with being able to choose your water level).

BTW,  calling them top, middle and bottom only refers to features. All three are excellent quality machines. I don't know anything about their front loaders or dryers because I only researched top load washers. I'm going to guess they're high quality, reliable machines as well.

I chose the middle model, this one, because of the five year vs. three year warranty, the extra cycles, and because I'm an electronics kind of person. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

I'm a little confused. When I read online reviews, they are not as glowing. And also, they say that the new ones had to be changed to meet gov't regulations. Please help me out here--I am planning to go out TODAY to buy. :(

I'm not sure what reviews you're seeing. Amazon, viewpoints.com, best washers of 2016, Consumer Reports, and even Garden Web where they talk about all kinds of things besides gardening have glowing reviews. Those are just a few.

As for meeting the government regulations, I read that they get around it by offering the eco-wash cycle. That cycle doesn't fill the tub, but you don't have to choose that cycle. ;) 

They're still meeting regulations by offering the eco cycle but the other cycles fill the tub to the top. A friend and I were complaining about washers not using enough water. I texted a photo of my full Speed Queen washer to her, and now she wants one. :)

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 3

All three models have a true agitator, something hard to find in today's washers. While it's true that old style agitators can be harder on clothes than the newer impeller style, they also clean better (especially when combined with being able to choose your water level).

I'm interested but ignorant -- agitator vs impeller. I can google, but if you have a quick explanation....

Btw, thanks for the description of the models.

Edited by Alessandra

Well, this is my simple understanding so anyone feel free to correct me.

An agitator is the tall thing we're used to seeing in washers. It goes back and forth in the tub twisting your clothes. An impeller looks like a bump at the bottom of the tub. It kind of moves the clothes around in a bubbly sort of motion. Easier on your clothes, not so good at actual cleaning. Some washers look like they have an agitator but the motion in the machine is more like an impeller.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

Thanks, Florida. I have read from a variety of places, so now they are kind of running together. It's entirely possible that some of the negative ones were from an unreliable sources.

There are also always naysayers. I try to look at middle of the road reviews and ignore "I love it so much it's the best thing ever!" and "I hate it with a passion, it's the worst thing ever!" ones. :)

• Like 1

Well, this is my simple understanding so anyone feel free to correct me.

An agitator is the tall thing we're used to seeing in washers. It goes back and forth in the tub twisting your clothes. An impeller looks like a bump at the bottom of the tub. It kind of moves the clothes around in a bubbly sort of motion. Easier on your clothes, not so good at actual cleaning. Some washers look like they have an agitator but the motion in the machine is more like an impeller.

Thanks!

My mom has one and she'll not thrilled about it.  She wishes she had gotten something else.  On the other hand my sister has one and she loves it.

Bought mine in September after my 18 year old Whirlpool died. Absolutely love it! DH was skeptical since it cost twice as much as an average HE piece of junk, but I was willing to pay the difference out of my part-time job savings because I was determined that was the only machine I wanted. No regrets at all. I also can fit comforters in it, heavy blankets go to the laundromat. My drying time even decreased by 1/2 a cycle (same old dryer) because the washer spins out so well. Definitely worth it.

• Like 1

Regarding government regulations, yes there is an eco cycle that uses less water. I just don't use it. There is also a reset option. If you select an extra large load and still don't feel like the water level is high enough, you can turn the knob to reset to add more water to the tub. When you let go, the water stops flowing, so there's no overflow risk.

Edited by AHASRADA
  • Like 2

My mom has one and she'll not thrilled about it.  She wishes she had gotten something else. 

What doesn't she like?

I'm really curious because I keep hearing about all of these people who bought a SQ, but they've only had them for 5-7 years, which I don't consider a very long time for a washing machine. 

• Like 1

Honestly, I may end up having to confess to my priest about how much I covet a Speed Queen washer. However, there is nothing actually wrong with the washer I have now, so I have no reason to get one. If we move, I want one! Like I said, it's a level of coveting that I'm pretty sure rises to sinful. Especially if I get pregnant and have cloth diapers to do again! Doing them with my dumb HE (top loader at least!) takes forever. 

• Like 1

You guys are scaring me, also.

Because what if SQ falls prey to nutsy regulations and degrades?

Maybe that means I must buy one now.   Even though I don't really need one. 

Hmmm.

Not liking this possibility.  I hate waste.

(I wonder whether they ever show up on Craig's list)

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

You guys are scaring me, also.

Because what if SQ falls prey to nutsy regulations and degrades?

Maybe that means I must buy one now.   Even though I don't really need one. 

Hmmm.

Not liking this possibility.  I hate waste.

(I wonder whether they ever show up on Craig's list)

They do show up on Craigslist! Literally 2 days after I bought my LG HE top loader I found a Speed Queen on Craigslist. I was SO mad. (I'd actually emailed the person a week before that and never heard back, so gave up. Turns out they were on vacation. UGH! I'd already used the new one, and honestly, my DH wasn't going to take it back at that point. So no Speed Queen for me. 

• Like 1

You guys have totally ruined me.

I mean, I had my next washer completely planned out.

It was a wonder, with a steam clean cycle, and a pedastal washer drawer for tiny loads.

But now, now I will have to get a Speed Queen.  

I have done tiny loads in the SQ. In the regular clean, shiny, attractive metal tub. The small loads do not get unbalanced.get unbalanced.

• Like 2

I have done tiny loads in the SQ. In the regular clean, shiny, attractive metal tub. The small loads do not get unbalanced.get unbalanced.

How loud is the regular, clean, shiny, attractive tubbed SQ?

Because I have a first floor laundry area rather than a basement one.  And because I am weakening by the minute.

• Like 1

Honestly, I may end up having to confess to my priest about how much I covet a Speed Queen washer. However, there is nothing actually wrong with the washer I have now, so I have no reason to get one. If we move, I want one! Like I said, it's a level of coveting that I'm pretty sure rises to sinful. Especially if I get pregnant and have cloth diapers to do again! Doing them with my dumb HE (top loader at least!) takes forever. 

Ok, but what are you coveting about it?  That's what I don't get.  People keep saying they love them, but I can't see why.  What is the feature that is loved?

• Like 2

How loud is the regular, clean, shiny, attractive tubbed SQ?

Because I have a first floor laundry area rather than a basement one. And because I am weakening by the minute.

You'd have to get a range of opinions. The machine sounds nice to me, lol, because I never hear unbalanced loads or find the machine scuttling across the floor, like my last one. My SQ is on first floor too. I don't think it's loud, but I have no objective measurement.

Hate to weaken you, but:

Prior to SQ, I was constantly scrubbing little spots before washing and trying to get whites white by soaking a tub of bleach and hot water that I had in the sink. Ugh! Now I just toss dirty whites into the pre wash/soak cycle, then wash them. No scrubbing. Clean.

I like that I can choose, temp, water levels, etc. I don't want my wash 'programmed.'

• Like 3

Slight s/o: Is a SQ dryer also good?

My 35+ yo Maytag is on its last legs. I want to replace both washer and dryer. My dryer is newer but takes a long time to dry (but that may be because the washer no long spins things very dry). A new set just sounds nice. Just Dh and I now so it will not get heavy use.

Ok, but what are you coveting about it?  That's what I don't get.  People keep saying they love them, but I can't see why.  What is the feature that is loved?

That it washes with lots of water is my big thing. And that it is fast. And simple to use. And not electronic, so my DH could fix anything that breaks, for the most part. And did I mention uses lots of water and is fast? We have horribly hard water and HE washers don't do a great job. Plus they tangle up all my clothes. 

• Like 1

That it washes with lots of water is my big thing. And that it is fast. And simple to use. And not electronic, so my DH could fix anything that breaks, for the most part. And did I mention uses lots of water and is fast? We have horribly hard water and HE washers don't do a great job. Plus they tangle up all my clothes. 

What is "lots" of water?  I've never had an HE, but every washer I've had just fills up to the top and washes.  How is this different?  Is the machine itself bigger?

What is "lots" of water? I've never had an HE, but every washer I've had just fills up to the top and washes. How is this different? Is the machine itself bigger?

If you haven't had an HE it won't be as huge of a deal. I think those of us who lived the HE nightmare of stinky clothes, ripped clothes, clothes you had to wash three times because the HE didn't wash well or any of the other pain in the ass things HE's are known for, get far more excited about the SQ. That being said- it's harder and harder to find non HE and the quality seems to have significantly dropped of the few that they (they being box store manufacturers) make. What drove me to SQ was posting a thread here after being driven to frustration by the horrid reviews on the washer options I had. Everything sucked. There wasn't a great washer that didn't have dismal reviews. So after hearing from everyone here and then talking to the appliance guys, the choice was made for me.

ETA: HE uses a tiny amount of water. I don't know how much but I will say it isn't enough, which is why it's hard for the clothes to rinse completely clean sometimes and why the perfect balance of soap is hard to find sometimes.

Edited by texasmom33

What is "lots" of water?  I've never had an HE, but every washer I've had just fills up to the top and washes.  How is this different?  Is the machine itself bigger?

Yeah...HE washers don't do that. They get the clothes damp, then toss them around a bit. You'd be shocked. 

• Like 1